Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:05 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,370,335 times

Advertisements

I would not spent time or energy blaming anyone. Bottom line , you did not get the job. Use your energy to find another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:09 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,382,316 times
I thought it might be my references so I hired a company to check them and they were fine. I think it is mainly the market. Pharma had a layoff bonanza the past few years and now the market is flooded with scientists with more experience that will work as cheaply as me and they can write insanely specific job ads and actually get someone who they won't have to train.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,595,462 times
I'm kind of surprised to read some of these responses. People are blaming themselves, implying they didn't try hard enough or they performed poorly during the interview. Are these really the cases? Or, is more like I described above and you didn't have exactly what they were looking for?

Also, can every failed interview be described as "their loss"? If you didn't have what they were looking for, it's their gain by passing you up and finding a better fit.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,595,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If I felt that it went well, and I performed adequately, then I simply think "Their loss."

Even if it went poorly, I understand why I might not have been hired, but I still think, "Their loss."

Would you rather hire someone who performed adequately or someone who performed superbly?

Who would you rather have on your team, Danny Ainge or Michael Jordan?

Even more puzzling is rationalize it being their loss even if you performed poorly (or admit you weren't completely qualified).

Almost sounds delusional.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:32 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,578,960 times
I'm a good worker, and I wouldn't apply for a job that I was incapable of doing.

Every employer I have had has been impressed with my work ethic and dedication to the job. Those who didn't take the opportunity to employ me simply missed out.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:39 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,060,080 times
While I think it is a good idea to evaluate how you think you did on an interview, there doesn't have to be anyone to "blame". You can't control who else applies. If you happen to be going against more experienced or qualified people that isn't anyone's fault.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 AM

418 posts, read 904,666 times
As someone who started looking a few months ago, I've had several close calls but nothing yet. My take is that you can't blame yourself. If you got the interview, they saw something in your resume and background they liked. That is a huge step to even get pass the hundreds of resume they weeded through. Beyond that it's totally subjective such as, how did you present yourself, did they misinterpret something you said, was your salary requirements too high, etc. So you can't blame yourself or the company.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:13 PM

13 posts, read 21,976 times
If there are people like me in age and look and experience working in similar jobs in the company and I don't get hired after an interview then I blame myself as not being as effective as I could have been. But if I show up and the only people working there are cute 25 year old women and I as a 52 year old look out of place, I know anyway there is no way I could be hired because I would not fit in.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:32 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,851,211 times
You never know what they are looking for, so how can you say you acted badly in an interview. If you think you made a bad impression you might try calling the company and change your style. But the next interviewer may have different preferences. The first one will reject you because you were too quiet but the next one because you are too loud.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,476,205 times
My experience is that if me and a job are a good fit, the interview will go well (not to say I'll get it), and if it's not, it won't. I agree with the poster who said that there is no point of blaming anyone- if you didn't get the job, move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search