Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times

Advertisements

Do you have dates for all things, such as Education and Military Experience on your resume? If a company looks at a resume and sees missing dates, is that resume "****canned"? Does the "minus dates" automatically tell a company an applicant is old and the "age discrimination" thing happens?
If I include my military experience on my resume, with dates, anyone could definitely tell that I'm in my early 60's! If I leave off the dates of that experience, a "Red Flag" could automatically go up due to the missing dates. Same goes for my college education and dates. I went to college back in the mid 70's!
I told my wife this morning, "I think I'm SOL no matter what I do......dates or no dates!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
We went through some hiring in the last few weeks, and a couple of the better candidates had "holes" in their resume dates. We did not reject them, but waited for the interview to ask about it. We do not ask for personal information, though it might be given to us, we simply ask if
they were working during that time, which can result in a Yes or No
but most of the time they are anxious to explain.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:24 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,143,530 times
There is no law that says you have to work everyday of your life nor report about why you didn't!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:26 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times
I leave off the dates of education - I'm 60 too.

I also only submit 10 years worth of work and at the bottom if I want to add some thing I say...

10+ years in the medical field working in hospitals, long term care and clinics

depending on the job I might add more info.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
It is customary to account for the last 10 years, but the person we recently hired gave "30 years experience in ..." which, in the position we were filling, looked better than 10+, and in fact, made it stand out more than people giving 12 or 14 years experience.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 AM

For my resume, I'm talking about Education and Military Experience......both of which go back 40 years ago! Education is on resume, but no dates. Took Military Experience off cause that would be two areas of the resume not showing dates (other being Education). I'm really starting to think that most employers "THINK" that a person at 60 yrs old or beyond SHOULD be already retired or is just plain too old to hire. How can us Baby Boomer prove them wrong???? Without a call/interview, we can't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
There is no law that says you have to work everyday of your life nor report about why you didn't!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Do you have dates for all things, such as Education and Military Experience on your resume? If a company looks at a resume and sees missing dates, is that resume "****canned"? Does the "minus dates" automatically tell a company an applicant is old and the "age discrimination" thing happens?
If I include my military experience on my resume, with dates, anyone could definitely tell that I'm in my early 60's! If I leave off the dates of that experience, a "Red Flag" could automatically go up due to the missing dates. Same goes for my college education and dates. I went to college back in the mid 70's!
I told my wife this morning, "I think I'm SOL no matter what I do......dates or no dates!"
I just don't include my entire past work history. I go back 10 years for work history. I also don't include the dates I attended college. I simply put my degree and GPA.

I also use a resume style that hightlights my knowledge and skills for the majority of the resume instead of the standard chronological style.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:03 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I just don't include my entire past work history. I go back 10 years for work history. I also don't include the dates I attended college. I simply put my degree and GPA.

I also use a resume style that hightlights my knowledge and skills for the majority of the resume instead of the standard chronological style.
Unless you are fresh out of college...no one really cares what your GPA was (and even for a new grad, many are not that concerned with it).

Old 02-24-2011, 12:18 PM

Heck, I've spent $300 on three classes over the Internet dealing directly with my career AND not a single word from a company or agency has been said about the classes I took. Last class was in 2008. People keep saying "keep your computer skills and other job related things up-to-date". If classes are taken, but NOT recognized, what can people do? I've stated this a number of times, employers/agencies want/require actual job experience. In the "old days", employers had no problem with teaching certain things, like a new computer program. Today, not the same.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Unless you are fresh out of college...no one really cares what your GPA was (and even for a new grad, many are not that concerned with it).
One of our large employers, Boeing does base the starting salary for new engineering hires on their college GPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search