Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:01 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,786 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon, everyone. BrightDog and Dreaming Spires, do not worry! I wasn't directing my remarks toward anyone in particular and certainly not either one of you! Both of you are so kind and empathetic. How I wish we had a 21st century equivalent of the WPA in place or in the planning stages. Wouldn't it have been wonderful if part of the stimulus money had funded some similar programs? Unfortunately, as 7 Wishes pointed out, such programs would currently meet with a lot of opposition. It will be very interesting to see the election results in 2010. Politically, I am a "middle of the road" independent, but I have friends and aquaintances all across the political spectrum. It is such a shame we cannot rise above politics and policies and devise some strategies that will get people back to work. Several years ago I interviewed some people who worked in various WPA and CCC projects. The details of the interviews were fascinating. I remember one man worked with the CCC and played on a traveling textile league baseball team. However, this key theme ran through all of the interviews. Each and every person was beyond ecstatic to obtain work. I'm looking forward to hearing some more posts. Have a good day, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 01:47 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Good afternoon, everyone. BrightDog and Dreaming Spires, do not worry! I wasn't directing my remarks toward anyone in particular and certainly not either one of you! Both of you are so kind and empathetic. How I wish we had a 21st century equivalent of the WPA in place or in the planning stages. Wouldn't it have been wonderful if part of the stimulus money had funded some similar programs? Unfortunately, as 7 Wishes pointed out, such programs would currently meet with a lot of opposition. It will be very interesting to see the election results in 2010. Politically, I am a "middle of the road" independent, but I have friends and aquaintances all across the political spectrum. It is such a shame we cannot rise above politics and policies and devise some strategies that will get people back to work. Several years ago I interviewed some people who worked in various WPA and CCC projects. The details of the interviews were fascinating. I remember one man worked with the CCC and played on a traveling textile league baseball team. However, this key theme ran through all of the interviews. Each and every person was beyond ecstatic to obtain work. I'm looking forward to hearing some more posts. Have a good day, everyone.
The saddest thing about it all is the people who would be most against a 21st Century WPA (or at least the people who vote in the politicians most against it) are among the ones who would most benefit from it.

As for the mid-year elections, it really depends on where the economy is a year from now and simply that IMHO.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:36 PM

149 posts, read 548,378 times
The reason for so many applications is more likely people just fulfilling the requirement to make job applications to continue receiving an unemployment check. I would bet that many of them made themselves sound overqualified on the application because they really didn't want the job.

Also, if this kind of thing (500 applicants for 25 jobs) was the norm, you would not see it in the news. Only unusual events make it into the news. Since it made the news, this kind of thing is not the norm.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:06 PM

366 posts, read 596,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster View Post
The reason for so many applications is more likely people just fulfilling the requirement to make job applications to continue receiving an unemployment check. I would bet that many of them made themselves sound overqualified on the application because they really didn't want the job.

Also, if this kind of thing (500 applicants for 25 jobs) was the norm, you would not see it in the news. Only unusual events make it into the news. Since it made the news, this kind of thing is not the norm.
Wow, I wish I was blessed with your incredible insight

Old 11-15-2009, 09:10 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
It does sound arrogant when someone says, "I might even have to consider Burger King." Plenty of people are already considering Burger King, have it as their only job, have experience in food service.
I also think those people might not yet get that there is no "lesser" job just waiting for them to deign to take it.
Around here, McD's pays $10/hr and a shift manager gets benefits and a career ladder.

Please see my thread, Immigrants Get Jobs, about my experience at a fast food window with an Asian gal who couldn;t speak a word of English, she couldn't even understand 'hamburger' got my order messed up and I had to go inside to complain to get it straightened out.

The thread isn't about my hamburger, its about immigrants getting hired in such jobs when US citizens are passed over. We were both laid off when our high-tech jobs were outsourced to India. Now even the "survival" jobs are going to immigrants, what they can't outsource they give to the immigrants here, this gal was probably the daughter of an h-1b visa holder, her father is probably an engineer, in a good job with benefits, she works at MCD to pay college tuition, while my dh and I struggle to survive on pt contracts, and our kids will be lucky to get into a community college.

I couldn't help but think what in haddes was she doing there, working at a job she clearly wasn't qualifeid for, when hundreds had probably applied who were probably dismissed as "over qualified" There is something to be said for being able to do the job, is that politically incorrect?

Old 11-17-2009, 01:46 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I certainly think that when so many people of all backgrounds are applying for all jobs, that being able to speak or understand English adequately is a very reasonable job requirement.
However, the poster who bought the hamburger makes all sorts of assumptions that simply aren't supportable.
Most of the fast food, especially donut shops, in my area employ Brazilians. They speak enough English to do the job. I have no idea who their parents are/were, their legal status, etc., and don't make assumptions.
Often the franchises are owned by Brazilians, and likely they bring in people they know. A few years ago, the convenience stores were mostly Middle Easterners and South Asians (owned).
It was absurd to think that some girl who barely speaks English made it a point to come to the U.S., legally or otherwise, to work at a fast-food place. As others have pointed out.
And if the girl's father is an engineer in this country and has his kids here, unlikely that she'd be so unable to speak English.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:47 PM

139 posts, read 254,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Please see my thread, Immigrants Get Jobs, about my experience at a fast food window with an Asian gal who couldn;t speak a word of English, she couldn't even understand 'hamburger' got my order messed up and I had to go inside to complain to get it straightened out.

The thread isn't about my hamburger, its about immigrants getting hired in such jobs when US citizens are passed over. We were both laid off when our high-tech jobs were outsourced to India. Now even the "survival" jobs are going to immigrants, what they can't outsource they give to the immigrants here, this gal was probably the daughter of an h-1b visa holder, her father is probably an engineer, in a good job with benefits, she works at MCD to pay college tuition, while my dh and I struggle to survive on pt contracts, and our kids will be lucky to get into a community college.

I couldn't help but think what in haddes was she doing there, working at a job she clearly wasn't qualifeid for, when hundreds had probably applied who were probably dismissed as "over qualified" There is something to be said for being able to do the job, is that politically incorrect?
marylee54 it's getting to the point I'd gladly buy you a hamburger to get you to stop whining.
BTW, when you and your husband had your "high-tech jobs" did you even give a second thought about the poor Engish speakers that were unable to get a McDonalds job due to the Non-English Speaking Asian Girl Conspiracy?
Doubtful.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:10 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina Van Down By The River View Post
BTW, when you and your husband had your "high-tech jobs" did you even give a second thought about the poor Engish speakers that were unable to get a McDonalds job due to the Non-English Speaking Asian Girl Conspiracy?
Doubtful.
Which is why we're in the situation we are today. It didn't matter when no one else wanted/needed the job.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post

Why don't you just save your money at eat at home.

Your angry about your situation and taking it out on the world. The girl had an accent and it ticked you off.

I highly doubt you or your husband would take jobs at McDonalds when your collecting more on unemployment.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 PM

139 posts, read 254,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I highly doubt you or your husband would take jobs at McDonalds when your collecting more on unemployment.
That's what I was thinking too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search