Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:56 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times

Advertisements

I am not hiring but people walk in quite often just asking if we are hiring and ask to fill out an application. To me, applying for a job one knows nothing about is just a waste of everyone's time. Another waste of my time is when some one uses spelling and grammar similar to a 6th grader. If an employer interviewed me with that version of English content frm the original question in this thread I would wonder why I was not the boss rather then the interviewer.

People: Learn how to write properly. Employers put a lot of weight on this if the job requires anything where holding a pen is involved. You may be young and think that hippity hoppity look is in but your employer is probably of an older more wiser generation and will look down on you with your shaved skull, hat on backwards and pants so large that you can conceal 13 semi automatic weapons in them without notice. And pull up your damn pants. No one wants to see your filthy underwear with skid marks on the back side.

I never interviewed in an outside neutral location but if I was interviewing for a job I might like the neutral location. I think I would be less nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 02:25 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I am not hiring but people walk in quite often just asking if we are hiring and ask to fill out an application. To me, applying for a job one knows nothing about is just a waste of everyone's time. Another waste of my time is when some one uses spelling and grammar similar to a 6th grader. If an employer interviewed me with that version of English content frm the original question in this thread I would wonder why I was not the boss rather then the interviewer.

People: Learn how to write properly. Employers put a lot of weight on this if the job requires anything where holding a pen is involved. You may be young and think that hippity hoppity look is in but your employer is probably of an older more wiser generation and will look down on you with your shaved skull, hat on backwards and pants so large that you can conceal 13 semi automatic weapons in them without notice. And pull up your damn pants. No one wants to see your filthy underwear with skid marks on the back side.

I never interviewed in an outside neutral location but if I was interviewing for a job I might like the neutral location. I think I would be less nervous.
Double comparatives are a no-no.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:27 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,047,572 times
Quote:

Given your grammatical errors, I think I know why....

Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
However I don't have an office. This is sale work so I dont need to have an office for them to work.

Whats the best way to conduct an interview? over the phone? a meet at Starbucks?
Your state job service will provide an "interview" office for you an no cost. You just have to make the arrangements with them ahead of time. This is also convenient for new businesses that do not yet have an office set up, or for a company that is coming in from out of town and needs to hire people before they open.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
You should join an employer's association and avail yourself of the assistance available from your State employment service. Employment interviews are fraught with legal issues,and saying the wrong thing-in public ,yet,- could be very expensive.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:32 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Given your grammatical errors, I think I know why....
You would be fired before even being hired with that attitude. I bet you would not talk to your interviewer like that. If you talked to me like that I would not point you to the door, I would toss you out by your toes.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,047,572 times
Quote:
You would be fired before even being hired with that attitude. I bet you would not talk to your interviewer like that. If you talked to me like that I would not point you to the door, I would toss you out by your toes.
You complained about interviewers' inept skills, yet you made errors in your own response. By criticizing interviewers' mistakes while making your own, you didn't demonstrate why you'd be any better at their job: You demonstrated that you're also capable of making mistakes (just like anyone else).

Criticize me if you want...but you're not making a good case for yourself with that response.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
I've taken the time to read the o.p. and all the followups. What I see is a snapshot of the general hiring climate of today. Business has no more respect for the labor market. I too was given an interview in a Starbucks. Was I offered a cup of coffee? No. Was I given privacy? No. I was in full business suit and tie and my interviewer was not even business casual. People on both sides of the equation however are for this to continue. Only a few of the responses urged the o.p. to spend a minimal amount of money preparing for his interviews. Kudo's to them. I also don't get how sitting mano a mano at a table in Starbucks proves to an employer that you will be an effective sales agent. How does that work? "See that table over there? Yeah, I see it. Okay, sell each one there one of these [produces widgets]. You've got 30 seconds starting... ... now!"

H

Old 04-03-2010, 07:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
However I don't have an office. This is sale work so I dont need to have an office for them to work.

Whats the best way to conduct an interview? over the phone? a meet at Starbucks?
I "have" a question.....This is SALES work.... You wouldn't convince me to meet you anywhere.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:33 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,012 times
What about a meal. More quiet lunch place (reserve a corner table or both). That's fairly relaxed, there is the slight challenge of eating and interviewing at once… But not a big deal.

Also, PLEASE make sure you pay quickly, don't make someone out of work wonder if you'll dump the bill on them. I had an interview at the Olive Garden for an entry-level sales position and the guy made me pay. Ugh. Just plain weird. (By the way, I got an offer but refused that one)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search