U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 12:03 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,080,612 times

Advertisements

This may sound like a stupid question, but this is the situation: My brother has been out of full time work [in other words, unemployed] for a little over a year now, but he has done quite a lot of freelance work in that time which has brought him some considerable about of income. Does he include that in his CV or does he just leave that gap as being unemployed? If he puts in that he's done some Freelance work, does he have to put in the details of what and who he has done work for? Will employers ask for specific details of the clients he has done work for? Because he thinks that big gap of unemployment may disadvantage his chances of getting the jobs he's going for.

I suggested he should pick 2-3 of his most satisfied clients and use them as references, but I thought I would ask people who are more experienced than me and who actually conduct interviews and employ people.

Last edited by Dorrans; 03-30-2010 at 12:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 PM

4,805 posts, read 22,016,307 times
Heck yeah he should include it!

Freelance Designer
2009-current
Did this and that for various clients.
• Analyzed company processes and developed and implemented improvement plans
• Increased profitability by 1000% over last year
• blah blah blah

Freelance work should look just like any other employment on the resume, only the name of the employer is really himself.

He should contact two or three satisfied clients and ask if they will write him a reference, but don't use any references without their permission.

I'm curious why you thought he shouldn't include freelance work? I'm baffled as to what the argument against it would be.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,080,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Heck yeah he should include it!

Freelance Designer
2009-current
Did this and that for various clients.
• Analyzed company processes and developed and implemented improvement plans
• Increased profitability by 1000% over last year
• blah blah blah

Freelance work should look just like any other employment on the resume, only the name of the employer is really himself.

He should contact two or three satisfied clients and ask if they will write him a reference, but don't use any references without their permission.

I'm curious why you thought he shouldn't include freelance work? I'm baffled as to what the argument against it would be.
I encouraged him to include the freelance work he has done, but he was hesitant about it. He was designing websites for small businesses, local communities, ethnic minority communities and businesses, other individual independent clients etc. The work he was doing was not for big household clients, but he was still making ends meet. And he believes his freelancing listed chronologically with his employment, probably comes off as "couldn't find a job.".

Old 03-30-2010, 01:25 PM

4,805 posts, read 22,016,307 times
If he claims he was freelancing and really wasn't working, that would be wrong.

But there's no 'rule' that says you can only list work that was full-time or more and which was a traditional employer-employee relationship.

What do he think all those small business owners and community organizers put on their resumes???

Old 03-30-2010, 01:34 PM

228 posts, read 633,412 times
Im one as well and frankly, I think it shows initiative. If he can phrase it on his resume some how about how he increased sales or # of clients, that would be even better. Something like "increased sales by XXX year on year through repeat business and referrals". Quantify it and itll sell much better.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:32 PM

15,999 posts, read 52,021,597 times
I don't see any downside to listing freelance work as opposed to letting a potential employer think he was sitting on his butt, waiting for a "dream gig" to come along.

The freelance work shows initiative and adaptability - most employers want these IMHO.

He can always note that he was not working full time on the freelance work, he was looking for the kind of opportunity he's applying for now, to explain relatively low earnings or work that didn't stretch the limits of his technical ability.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 31,575,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
This may sound like a stupid question, but this is the situation: My brother has been out of full time work [in other words, unemployed] for a little over a year now, but he has done quite a lot of freelance work in that time which has brought him some considerable about of income. Does he include that in his CV or does he just leave that gap as being unemployed? If he puts in that he's done some Freelance work, does he have to put in the details of what and who he has done work for? Will employers ask for specific details of the clients he has done work for? Because he thinks that big gap of unemployment may disadvantage his chances of getting the jobs he's going for.

I suggested he should pick 2-3 of his most satisfied clients and use them as references, but I thought I would ask people who are more experienced than me and who actually conduct interviews and employ people.
If he submits his resume to temp agencies, I would suggest NOT revealing his clients to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search