Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:54 AM

305 posts, read 1,004,651 times

Advertisements

I would get more feedback on this before I tried it, but why not simply call the employer to follow up on the progress of there decision.

Normally when I do this I get some type of feedback from the conversation, and sometime the employer will say you know I was checking references and need to get back in contact with them

Good Luck I am hoping you will be fine and I think you will be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 01:02 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
I would get more feedback on this before I tried it, but why not simply call the employer to follow up on the progress of there decision.

Normally when I do this I get some type of feedback from the conversation, and sometime the employer will say you know I was checking references and need to get back in contact with them

Good Luck I am hoping you will be fine and I think you will be
Thanks for your support and advice!

I will follow up but not yet. I contacted them after the first interview and although they were nice about it, they were not able to tell me that I was in the round 2 until weeks after the time period they mentioned, (which is hopefully what is going on now!).

Also, I feel that I only get one shot to follow up, so I want to wait a bit longer to make sure I handle it correctly depending on what I can figure out about the situation, if anything.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:16 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,651 times
I wasnt sure about how long you have been waiting, but I am still rooting for ya, dont worry it will be ok.

I just went through this same process and no matter what others told me I worried so I totally understand your concerns.

If you have not continue to look, try to get as many interviews as possible you want more than one opportunity to choose from anyway

I wish you much luck and sucess

Old 04-22-2011, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,039 times
Reneeme,

Did you get the job? I interviewed last week and my references were all called this week. Still waiting for the final response. I know you posted this a year ago, but please let me know if you got your job. I am going through the same thing you went through last year.

Thanks

Old 09-09-2011, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 6,831 times
Hi,
Need some help. I went on a 3 interviews for a position at a company. It's been 2 weeks since the last interview. I contacted the company to check the status and they stated that they are checking references and a decision will be made by Friday. It is Friday morning and my references were not contacted yet. What are my chances of getting this job? Any advise. Thanks. Tricia.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:16 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri2 View Post
Hi,
Need some help. I went on a 3 interviews for a position at a company. It's been 2 weeks since the last interview. I contacted the company to check the status and they stated that they are checking references and a decision will be made by Friday. It is Friday morning and my references were not contacted yet. What are my chances of getting this job? Any advise. Thanks. Tricia.
I am the OP from this thread, and my situation was not typical, so you might want to start a new thread.

In my case, I did not get the job (but I got a different job a few months later). I am 90% sure that the person that interviewed me talked to a person in the industry that used to bad mouth me, and that is why he did not continue the process (they were Facebook friends). I am sure references can take a little while.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,311 times
Default Its a great sign!

Sorry if my post is late, but I just want to share my experience for other people who are facing a similar situation... and if you are, you should be very excited as you are SO close to a job offer!

I had been hearing from my references that the company had called them. I was so happy and expecting to hear a response. Well, that's when things got scary. 5 days after my references had been called, still no call for a job offer! I started to lose hope.

Then at my darkest moment, and at the very end of the business day, I got the call! They said it took so long because my references were hard to get a hold of (I informed all my refs they would be calling). My situation is unique though as it is out of province/state with a 3 hour time difference... so complicated things.

Anyways, 11 days from my interview (and 2/3 refs called), I got the job. Hope all of you do too

Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post

Do you think it would be risky on the potential employer's part to call references that were not provided, and then to skip the reference from the two people they left voice mails for? This does not seem like something an employer would do, and is the only thing giving me hope that they just might be very busy.

Nope. Those are the best ones. As you and another poster mentioned, you have a brain. As a result, you only put down references who you believe, or know, will say good things about you. Not to attempt to worry you, but if I were calling your references the exact person I would want to talk to is the person who is badmouthing you. Why? Because one person's bad is not always bad. I once personally had a boss that I reported for time card fraud (she was allowed to quit and blamed me) badmouth me in a reference check. The person calling managed to track her down and she had nothing but evil things to say, including that I turned her in and because of that she was forced to quit. I got the job because the company took away from that the belief that I was honest and willing to be loyal to the company. That was, in their opinion, more telling than what the people I put down said.

P.S. I know this is an older thread...but you brought up a LOT of great points that are worth mentioning and bringing to the forefront as people are looking for jobs!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,461 times
Hiring managers or "bosses" for certain positions are typically very busy. They don't really have time to check references.

This is why many companies are outsourcing this process to background screening companies to do the employment verification, interviews, and reference interviews for them. It can be a time consuming process.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:06 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
Hiring managers or "bosses" for certain positions are typically very busy. They don't really have time to check references.

This is why many companies are outsourcing this process to background screening companies to do the employment verification, interviews, and reference interviews for them. It can be a time consuming process.
True. I know that I am often pulled off a candidate prior to references. Although I am often the one calling the references. Depends on the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search