Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 03:26 PM

418 posts, read 1,381,678 times

Advertisements

My S.O is currently fighting for custody of his son, which I am a large part of. I have been on multiple interview were I have disclosed I will need at least a week off for trial in the near future (next few months) and I have been met with "We can't hire someone that needs that much time off so soon." I wanted to be honest but after so many turn downs because of it I finally decided to stop disclosing the information because our lawyer plans to supenoa me after we discussed my issue. Some people still feel I should be honest but I feel if I am honest I won't get a job. Opinions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 03:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
That should scare away most employers. Seeing as how fickle they already are.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:39 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,836,588 times
Don't tell them and worry about dealing with it when it happens. Quite often in legal matters something you think may happen soon instead takes forever to come up.

Hopefully by the time it comes up you will have been re-employed and settled yourself in as a valued employee.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:43 PM

I already know for sure 1 day is scheduled for sure. June 30th. As far as the trial our lawyer says it should be in August or September but we pushing for as soon as possible because my S.O's son is 5 and he wants to be able to start him in school here with us.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:57 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,898,095 times
Never share sordid personal issues in an interview. Wait until you receive a job offer at least.

In this case, I would wait until you receive the actual subpoena after you've started work, because legally an employer (or any other entity) cannot prevent you from responding to it.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Never share sordid personal issues in an interview. Wait until you receive a job offer at least.

In this case, I would wait until you receive the actual subpoena, because legally an employer (or any other entity) cannot prevent you from responding to it.
Part of the reason I have shared it is because I am currently attending college for paralegal degree and have been asked why I chose paralegal. Well my experience over the past year with the case is what lead me to that desicion. Also I chose to advise them of the court dates because my worst nightmare is not disclosing the info and then when the trial comes they say NO. Believe me my last job would have done that.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,042 times
Just withhold such personal information, get in and BE A KICKASS EMPLOYEE, then when the time comes you could act like you were unaware of when the court would be scheduling its trial. The first day in June you could just call in sick for that one. If you play your cards right, you'll be fine. Of course you would have dug yourself a hole with this, but it's not something you couldn't recover from.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:32 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,836,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

In this case, I would wait until you receive the actual subpoena after you've started work, because legally an employer (or any other entity) cannot prevent you from responding to it.
Are you quite okay there? Reading that makes me wonder about your frame of mind.

What about a custody issue is sordid? do you even KNOW the meaning of the word?

Shakes head in amazement.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post
Just withhold such personal information, get in and BE A KICKASS EMPLOYEE, then when the time comes you could act like you were unaware of when the court would be scheduling its trial. The first day in June you could just call in sick for that one. If you play your cards right, you'll be fine. Of course you would have dug yourself a hole with this, but it's not something you couldn't recover from.
Good advice. Or if there's flexibility in scheduling, like offering to cover an extra weekend, that would be another approach.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Just like I wouldn't talk about upcoming vacation I wouldn't mention something like this. Those are things to be worked out after you have an offer or are hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search