Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 04:12 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
I am now on the THIRD interview for this job. Is that usually a good sign? Or a sign they can't make up their mind? I had two in person interviews and now a phone interview Friday or Tuesday. The most interviews I have ever had to go thru for one position is 2 (one phone and one in person) Its nerve racking!! My unemployment ends next week because of the extensions ending so beweteen the house going back and forth on when to vote and this my nerves are shot!!
IBM gave me 3 interviews. 2 phone ones and the last in person. Talk about being on edge of my seat..

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 04:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
I am now on the THIRD interview for this job. Is that usually a good sign? Or a sign they can't make up their mind? I had two in person interviews and now a phone interview Friday or Tuesday. The most interviews I have ever had to go thru for one position is 2 (one phone and one in person) Its nerve racking!! My unemployment ends next week because of the extensions ending so beweteen the house going back and forth on when to vote and this my nerves are shot!!

Total of three interviews. Anymore than that without a job offer is called-"playing games with someone's life"

Old 05-30-2010, 06:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
For many executive level positions you should expect a minimum of three interviews, and at least one of them will be a full day and another will involve a meal with the interviewer. For upper level executive positions, it's not uncommon to go through an interview process that involves five interviews, including a full day of psycological testing and a meeting with the board of directors.

It's not "playing with someone's life" but rather choosing the best candidate for the position, and then making sure that s/he is the right candidate. Executive searches are expensive. Replacing executives on a regular basis is even more so, and for that reason they want to get it right the first time around.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:17 PM

311 posts, read 693,867 times
That might be fine for execs making the big $$ annark. But when you have to go through 3 interviews to get a 7.25 an hr job it becomes a little ridiculous.I did not even bother to come to the 2cd interview for the ronald mcdonald house when I was told there would be 2 more interviews.If you need 3 interviews to hire someone to check people in and clean the room after they leave for 7.25 an hr you can s.u.ck it RMcD house.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
That might be fine for execs making the big $$ annark. But when you have to go through 3 interviews to get a 7.25 an hr job it becomes a little ridiculous.I did not even bother to come to the 2cd interview for the ronald mcdonald house when I was told there would be 2 more interviews.If you need 3 interviews to hire someone to check people in and clean the room after they leave for 7.25 an hr you can s.u.ck it RMcD house.
If you are collecting unemployment and refusing to go on interviews and are audited, expect them to stop your u/e on the spot.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Um...you know, I had never thought about this, but I've never had more than one interview for any job I've had.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post

I have to agree, 3 interview for a job paying that low is just crazy. When I had my third interview I was thinking I would find out where I would be sitting and a job offer-lol Not-"we will be contacting you" I ended up getting the job but you think that it would be on the SPOT if it's a third interview

Old 03-14-2014, 01:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,470 times
Default My history of interviews.

For my first job at a plant nursery needed 2 jobs.
My second job selling knives took 1 interview.
My third job to be a cashier at safeway took 1 interview.
My fourth job to be a tutor at a highschool took 1 interview.
My fifth job as an assistant engineer took 2 interviews, one to test my knowledge and one as a general interview.
The job I'm applying for now as an Engineer 1 is taking 4 interviews. 1 phone interview with an HR company, one in person interview with an HR company, 1 interview with the head designer and 1 interview with the head designer and head engineer.

Every other Engineer position I've applied to only required 2 interviews though. 1 phone interview and one in person interview.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:52 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times
Five. Didn't get the gig.

My really close friend had 13 interviews with an investment firm. Didn't get the gig. What ticked him off was a candidate who got hired for the same gig in a different location that had only one interview!

It seems to me often there is a direct negative correlation between the amount of interviews and offers.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:32 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,788,050 times
I had one where I had 3 phone interviews (HR recruiter, Hiring Manager and the Senior VP of the company) then I was flown out for an in person interview where I had 6 one on one interviews including the HM and SVP, plus I had to a two hour assessment on the day after the interviews. All of this happened over the course of a little over 2 months and I didn't get a job offer. I wasn't too upset about it because it was a free trip to Vegas and it may have help to speed up the offer that I just got this week because they knew that I was in the final stages of interviewing with the Vegas company so they made sure to speed up their process and even told me to not accept the Vegas offer before they had a chance to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search