Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:20 PM

690 posts, read 2,102,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Networking is very overrated. You have to be best friends with someone in human resources or related to the CEO in some way.
Maybe you're right. I guess I was lucky with the last person I networked with...he was friends with the CEO. I probably won't be that lucky again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 01:44 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,812,823 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
Maybe you're right. I guess I was lucky with the last person I networked with...he was friends with the CEO. I probably won't be that lucky again.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,915,686 times
I think I would be studying for the CPA exam, myself. Pass that and you will have many more doors open to you, including being self employed.

In the meantime, you need a survival job that's just hours on the clock. Punch in and punch out. No heavy responsibilities so you can study in your free time. Bank teller would be great. Tailor your resume to the position. No degrees....that will just make the hiring manager squirm. Mostly worrying that you are more qualified for their position than they are.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:59 AM

201 posts, read 431,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I guess it wouldn't hurt to at least start studying. The books and review materials are sooo expensive, but I guess I could tell myself that it's an investment. Even though I'm starting to doubt that forking over thousands of dollars to become more educated really helps a person get a job these days.
I spent about 1500$ on my PE all out of pocket and it has not paid off yet but without it I have a lower likely hood of making big money. If it never pays off (which is highly doubtful) I have my fiance and my health and we have alot of fun that does not cost any money if you know what I mean . Also when you have a bonified certification, experience and education you tend to give off more confidence and at a certian point view yourself above your employer, you are the professional they are just a medium with which you get your pay check. When you view yourself a certian way you speak differently and act differently.

warrner von braun was just a german citizen building rockets in his back yard and he headed up the US space program, if you become bad a** then you will view it as you interviewing your employer, and think things like is this organization competent enough to support me and of course will the compensation be worth it. I turned down a job for a 20k (also 20k is not even in the ball park of enough money to get me to jump) raise because they said something to me in a phone interview that raised a red flag of incompetence and would have been unethical for me to perform so I dont want my reputation assocated with an organization like that. I have a friend who works there and he said they are suffering for their incompetence right now, every one is trying to cut corners to save money to grease the share holder hands and im not going to have my name attached to something unsafe or stupid just because some manager wants to install substandard parts to save money.

Last edited by janman345; 06-01-2010 at 02:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search