Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:21 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,416,669 times

Advertisements

Totally depends where you live. In a big city where there are a variation of people, playing any sort of religion card probably comes across as tacky.

Where I live, touting your religiousness, or more specifically, devotion to Jesus is good. Here, if you are a "Good Christian" people trust you without even getting to know you. If you are a "non-believer" then people won't trust you, even if you have shown them nothing but honesty and integrity. I've seen it in action, time after time. IMO even though it's irrelevant and unprofessional, I can't see it being seen as a negative here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 05:23 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,416,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk
The one thing that I think is always good to list on a resume is volunteer work with a fire department, the coast guard auxilliary, rescue squad, Red Cross, etc. That shows that you give back to the community and can be counted on to keep a level head in a crisis or emergency.
I'm so glad you said this! It answered a question I had for a long time.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:43 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,967,354 times
Well just today I put on my resume that the "ministries" place where I volunteer is a food bank. I realized I didn't want anyone thinking I was involved in volunteering for any ministries. Don't know why that never dawned on me before.

Religion and politics should most definitely not be on a resume. If I were hiring I would think that would be a problem person who would come in and push some agenda on coworkers.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,099,766 times
When I was interviewing people at my last job I wasn't interested in any of their outside interests. I didn't see any resumes that indicated their religious affiliation but I would have thrown out any resume that did. I don't care what religious group someone belongs to and it is irritating that they would think that membership in any specific religious group would give them a leg up on the competition.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:47 PM

27,894 posts, read 29,704,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1258 View Post
I haven't had a single interview where someone asked me what church I go to.
Unless I were a mormon living in Utah I would leave it off altogether.
You're likely to give the impression that you're a suck-up.
Well, I am a Mormon living in Utah and there's no way I'd mention my religion on my resume. Furthermore, I'd be pretty bent out of shape if I were hired because I was a Mormon. I have enough going for me that my religion should not enter into anyone's decision to hire me. Religion should not be mentioned under any conditions except if the person were actually applying to work for the Church.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:54 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,832,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well just today I put on my resume that the "ministries" place where I volunteer is a food bank. I realized I didn't want anyone thinking I was involved in volunteering for any ministries. Don't know why that never dawned on me before.

Religion and politics should most definitely not be on a resume. If I were hiring I would think that would be a problem person who would come in and push some agenda on coworkers.
I'm going out on a limb here, I'm guessing it's Angel Food Ministries? Great organization, and I think eventually it will be accepted just like Habitat is, a group founded around the basic principles of Christianity that welcomes all faiths and non-believers alike. But until then, I agree with your decision to remove the actual name of the group from your resume and just state you volunteer with a "food bank."

Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,967,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm going out on a limb here, I'm guessing it's Angel Food Ministries? Great organization, and I think eventually it will be accepted just like Habitat is, a group founded around the basic principles of Christianity that welcomes all faiths and non-believers alike. But until then, I agree with your decision to remove the actual name of the group from your resume and just state you volunteer with a "food bank."
No but it really doesn't matter. I think anything with the word "ministries" in it is a no go. That is why I clarify it's a food bank. This country was founded on separation of church and state. It needs to stay that way. I think ANY food bank, irrespective of origin, is a great cause. And this is interfaith, but I still need to say it's a food bank. I don't want to go near the word "ministries."

Things not acceptable for a resume...photos, politics, religions, hobbies/interests, references. It's all about work and education and qualifications and accomplishments and that's it.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:33 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,344,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... I know somebody who's a gay republican Christian (figure that one out), and he said it's easier to be gay than republican & Christian in San Francisco. But we do have plenty of religious folks in SF, particularly among our VERY large Asian population - as they're usually observant Christians or Buddhists. So even here it could go either way if you mention religion, but obviously it's more Christian-oriented in certain parts of the country.
I once worked with a gay guy who was very religous. He didn't go around preaching to everyone, but he did mention being active in his church. I think he went to a non denominational church that catered to gays (not the UU church). I do not know what his political views were, however.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:50 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,748,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I once worked with a gay guy who was very religous. He didn't go around preaching to everyone, but he did mention being active in his church. I think he went to a non denominational church that catered to gays (not the UU church). I do not know what his political views were, however.
Oh, we have MANY gay Christians around here, and most of the churches are "gay-friendly" - particularly the Unitarian Universalist churches. Speaking of which, one of the Rabbis at my synagogue is an open & proud lesbian. I'm actually more surprised the guy was a Republican, since gay Republicans are much harder to find. Wonder why?? LOL

Old 10-14-2010, 07:24 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,703,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
But for example, teaching Sunday school to six year olds is never going to be relevent to an administrative job that isn't in a school or religious institution, and I'm not sure why that type of information is included.

My opinion is that details like that which serve no purpose should be left off a resume.
I dunno about that ... The applicant, through his or her volunteer work, has experience managing groups of people, long- and short-term planning, multi-tasking, problem-solving, etc. The volunteer experience may be seemingly unrelated to the position, but in a truly inclusive sense, it relates in dozens of ways.

Volunteer experience also indicates that the applicant is well-rounded, has interests outside the job and home, and has a sense of community and responsibility. Volunteer experience would indicate to me that the applicant is more self-confident, is better able to communicate with co-workers and constituents, has a more positive mental health outlook, and more than likely will make a better employee.

Every volunteer position is "giving back to the community."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesforrebelsdotcom View Post
I think people often put volunteer work even if not relevant to show your of a certain type of character, can be part of something bigger than yourself, are willing to share your time and skills, can be ateam player, etc.
Exactly.

Quote:
Religion is a touchy issue which makes this topic intersting but if they had put that they volunteered with special needs kids I don't think you would be questioning them putting it but because it's religion it seems to complicate things.
Millions of people volunteer at their churches or for religious organizations, yet manage to get by day after day after day without forcing their religious view onto their co-workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092
No but it really doesn't matter. I think anything with the word "ministries" in it is a no go. That is why I clarify it's a food bank. This country was founded on separation of church and state.
That's ridiculous. "Church and state" does not equate "church and private employer," for one thing. Angel Food Ministries is a respected organization. It would be stupid of you not to mention what you do for it.

Psst ... Angel Food Ministries, as wonderful an organization as it is, is not a food bank. A food distribution organization, yes; a food bank it is not. A food bank serves as a central point of collection where donors drop off food and other goods. The food bank then redistributes these products to smaller agencies -- like Angel Food Ministries, or your local soup kitchen or non-profit day care center serving low-income families, that service clients directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search