Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:47 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
It seems like if you were to post the salary in the job ad, that it could save you some of the trouble of weeding people out who demand too high or low of a salary. You'll still get those few who'll disregard and hope to negotatiate a higher salary, but I'd imagine you'd cut that number down significantly if it were blatantly stated in the ad.
Like I said, there was a $40K range in what we were looking to offer. If we had put that in, a lot of people would ahve thought it was a scam job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
By putting the lower end it would have left out a lot of potential applicants, including the one we hired.

In my opinion, as an applicant you should have a good understanding of the typical salary ranges for the type of work you do in the industry your in in the geographical area you are looking in, and go from there. Almost all employers will be offering a salary in that same range. If you do'nt ahve a clue what type of salary range a particular job will be offering, why even bother to apply for it?
My issue stems from the fact that my current hourly rate is higher than what most employers would be willing to pay. Since I'm only part-time, it would make sense for me to want full-time, even if the hourly equivalent is lower once you factor in # of hours per week and benefits. My beef is being screened out when asked for a salary history. When asked about salary requirements, I usually offer a realistic range based upon my knowledge of the pay scales for my profession or state "negotiable" if an option.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:53 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Like I said, there was a $40K range in what we were looking to offer. If we had put that in, a lot of people would ahve thought it was a scam job.
I don't know why you'd assume that. If an ad indicates that you "CAN MAKE $100,000 IN YOUR FIRST YEAR!", then I'd probably be hesitant. But $40K range? That seems like a modest salary for a legit position.

Why would you think that people would think that's a scam job? Is there a study somewhere that says that if you put a salary in a job offer, that fewer people will respond? I'm not in HR, so I have no idea, but I'm curious to know.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:02 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
I don't know why you'd assume that. If an ad indicates that you "CAN MAKE $100,000 IN YOUR FIRST YEAR!", then I'd probably be hesitant. But $40K range? That seems like a modest salary for a legit position.

Why would you think that people would think that's a scam job? Is there a study somewhere that says that if you put a salary in a job offer, that fewer people will respond? I'm not in HR, so I have no idea, but I'm curious to know.
I believe she meant the range between highest and lowest salary they were offering was a 40K difference. Please correct me if I'm wrong Annerk

Old 06-03-2010, 04:06 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I believe she meant the range between highest and lowest salary they were offering was a 40K difference. Please correct me if I'm wrong Annerk
Nope, that makes total sense now. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:39 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
This is exactly correct. It wasn't a $40K a year salary, but a $40K spread between our minimum and maximum. It really came down to whether we needed to hire one person or two. If we could find a "rockstar" that could handle a heavy workload, then we'd pay the max to one person. But we were also prepared to hire two people at lower salaries if we didn't find the right person, which is why we had that large spread.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:32 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,591 times
What really gets me are the want ads that show how much the job will pay, and yet they STILL demand salary history from applicants! What's the rationale behind that?!

Old 05-10-2011, 05:12 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Um, because the job offered IS extremely high stress, lots of jobs are, and they don't want to waste their time on someone who can't handle it.

You probably aren't very ambitious if you don't want a high stress job.
Actually it probably means you're not willing to eat poor management's terrible decisions.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
A List of Low Stress Jobs for the OP

Fry Cook
Greeter at Red Lobster
Security Guard
Stocker at a Supermarket
Custodian at Taco Bell

LOL
I work as an engineer 40 hrs a week and its not too stressful, there were times in my past on big projects I worked 60 hrs but things are pretty steady now and I take off time to work on my pilots licence. So its all relative, what do they mean by "high-stress" are there people screaming and creating a chaotic enviornment or is it just alot of work to do. I wont tolerate a chaotic or condesending enviornment but dont mind getting the work done. Wont do 60 hrs on salery however, I dont work for free lol. I work straight OT now, time and a half would be nice but I so rarely work OT its not really a factor and my intangibales more than off set that.

That being said I would not want to accept a job on the premis of 60+ hr work weeks, thats not ok, cuts into flying and family time etc. Once in a while is ok if something needs to get done but not on a regular basis as your base line hours, life is too short for that, I guess if you had no other choice but you can bet I would be spending every day looking for a new job unless the money was SO FAT I could retire luxuriously in 5 years time, so like 250k range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search