Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times

Advertisements

I had an interview recently for a job that I am very interested in. The interview went great until the very last minute when the HR rep asked me if it was ok if she contacted my current manager. I told her that I haven't notified her that I had applied for this job and, if possible, I'd rather her not know until I am sure I would be leaving. The HR person told me that she "had" to contact my manager to verify employment and that it would be a problem if she couldn't. When she said that, I told her it was fine and that I would talk to my manager so that she's not surprised by the call.

The problem is that my manager can be quite difficult when she finds out someone is looking to leave. I've seen it happen to a former coworker. I know she will be very unhappy in general because our office has lost 3 people this year already with no replacements because of budget cuts.

I have two questions:

1. If the call is just to verify employment, doesn't HR handle that?

2. Has anyone else been told that there was no option but to have their actual manager/supervisor contacted (i.e. if you don't give permission, you won't be considered for the job)?

I just thought it was strange because I've always been given the option to not have them contact a current employer. I just wonder if this is a new symptom of the employer having the upper hand because of the surplus of job seekers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 06:21 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
I've never been told during an interview that they "had" to talk to my current manager. Quite frankly, I could not take the very real risk of losing my current job. I have a portfolio of performance appraisals, awards, and e-mails from my manager--I'd offer up those.

Anyway, even if I gave the ok, my boss is NOT going to talk to a competitor about a current employee that he wants to keep. Why would he even consider it?

On the flip side, I once had a really crappy coworker and when my boss found out he was looking for another job, he (my boss) did everything in his power to push him onto someone else.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
I would have said no and if that answer wasn't good enough then I would have just moved on. I never in my life heard of a employer asking to call your CURRENT employer

Old 06-08-2010, 07:01 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
I've been asked, but the prospective employer always understood when I said no. If you get an offer from the prospective employer it will generally be conditional on confirmation of current employment, hich is fine because at that point you an tell your current employer about the new job.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I would never say yes to that question. If they didn't like it, too bad.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:39 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I would never say yes to that question. If they didn't like it, too bad.
Totally agree - if they want to do a VOE then fine, but could you trust them NOT to mention it was due to a job application?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
I would not have said yes either.

If your boss gets pissed off and gets rid of you, then what?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Yeah, that's what I thought. I was wondering if I was just being paranoid. I've always had the option to say no with a simple explanation of "I would rather not let them know I'm looking until I have an offer." The HR person said she would call me and let me know when she was calling so that I could give her permission (or not) to call.

I might ask why she can't just call HR if it's for employment verification. There's really no reason she needs to talk to my manager unless she has specific questions about performance, etc. And she said it was just for verification of employment. I also have an evaluation that was just done last month, so I can provide that if necessary.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 AM

151 posts, read 569,860 times
I think the HR person you talked to was a nitwit. You should ask to speak to the hiring manager about it. Demanding to speak to your current supervisor is contrary to all established business etiquette.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I've been asked, but the prospective employer always understood when I said no. If you get an offer from the prospective employer it will generally be conditional on confirmation of current employment, hich is fine because at that point you an tell your current employer about the new job.
Pretty much what I was going to say as I did this before and it worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search