Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 03:53 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I think that's a terrible thing to write anyone pertaining to beliefs.
You know you are probably right.... But when a simple question is asked and then someone proceeds to tell us we are all not only wrong but ignorant of our religion then I guess folks get frustrated... I know I did.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 06:29 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,083 times
It is frustrating.

And humorous!

But it happens way too often.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:57 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
So......if we really respected the President, we would spell his name BM?

I don't think so. The issue here may be linguistic, rather than religious. Unless I'm mistaken, Arabic has no vowels, as such, but uses diacritical marks to indicate the morphemes between consonants. Might Hebrew be similar, in this way?

Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
I was always taught that it is out of respect. At some point the piece of paper being written on will be destroyed or discarded.
Agreed as one wouldn't be able to destroy/discard a paper with the name fully written on it as it would be disrespectfully.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:54 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times
Is it a sin to include the "o"~?

Old 02-09-2015, 07:56 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Is it a sin to include the "o"~?
"O", yes...it is...

Old 02-09-2015, 09:49 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,270 times
Those who replace "o" with a hyphen learned it as a sign of respect. It's a custom.

Some people use the "o." They reason: it was prohibited to utter the NAME. If a country was told not to utter the name of their King, named "George," then clearly you don't say or write down "George." But whether or not you will say or write King or K-ng is up for grabs.

So no, it's not a sin to use the "o."

My favorite variation was from a friend who wrote it this way: G!d
She was excited.

The pronunciation of The Name, which appears in Torah as 4 Hebrew consonants YHVH, is long lost. Nobody wants to mispronounce it. Instead, a complete substitute word "Adonai" is used. Adonai is a respectful title used for nobility or royalty, like saying "Sir." When someone's reading along and encounters those 4 letters (The Tetragramatron) YHVH in a prayer or Torah text reading, they say "Adonai" there, instead. And for some, even the substitution is too close for comfort so they were taught to modify the last syllable and say, "Adoshem" because "shem" is Hebrew for "a name."

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 02-09-2015 at 10:08 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 03:33 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Those who replace "o" with a hyphen learned it as a sign of respect. It's a custom.

Some people use the "o." They reason: it was prohibited to utter the NAME. If a country was told not to utter the name of their King, named "George," then clearly you don't say or write down "George." But whether or not you will say or write King or K-ng is up for grabs.

This.

I replace the the Tetragramatron with adonai or haShem in both speech and writing, but the word "God" is nowhere near that level. It is simply an English word used as a title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism