Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:12 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Nevertheless, Deut. 7:3 is one of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) that are binding on Jews.

Shabbat desecrating and cheeseburger eating Reform rabbis, but not Torah-observant Conservative and Orthodox rabbis.

Walter don't be so quick to judge. It is not just reform rabbis and for your information not all reform rabbis do interfaith marriages.

I know many Torah observant reform Jews and a couple of torah observant reform rabbis. So it really is unbecoming to put a whole group into one basket I would think.

I know I really try not to judge a book by its cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 10:15 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
There are many many people who have Jewish ancestry.
Yes there are, and it can be a real life-altering experience when they do find out that they're Jewish:

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...s-out-hes.html

Old 10-23-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
It is not just reform rabbis ...
Conservative rabbis are no longer permitted to perform such ceremonies. Orthodox rabbis never did.

Quote:
... and for your information not all reform rabbis do interfaith marriages.
But, Reform rabbis are the only ones performing such ceremonies.

Quote:
I know many Torah observant reform Jews and a couple of torah observant reform rabbis.
A Torah-observant Reform Jew, and especially a Torah-observant Reform rabbi, is an oxymoron.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:38 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
So you all see what the OP did, right? Started a thread with no other goal but to deliberately provoke, and he or she is probably sitting back and laughing out loud. (We don't even have to get into the fact that this alleged topic has been hashed around before).
It's provoked a lively discussion and it's a puzzle for me. I don't believe in this 'Jewish DNA' thing (though I'm willing to be convinced - racial genetic markers can be surprisingly persistent) as i am sure that there has been a lot of intermixing over the years.

The matter can be touchy, true, but the truth is important. I note Walter's point that reform Judaism and Torah observance is an oxymoron. Like many other religions, one either updates it, and never mind what the Book says, or one sticks to the letter of the Law and risks being left behind by the rest of humanity.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Conservative rabbis are no longer permitted to perform such ceremonies. Orthodox rabbis never did.

But, Reform rabbis are the only ones performing such ceremonies.

A Torah-observant Reform Jew, and especially a Torah-observant Reform rabbi, is an oxymoron.

Well Walter I have gone to interfaith marriages with conservative, and independent, and renewal rabbis in attendance.

It is fine for you not to agree, but you don't need to put all reform rabbis in one bucket.

Judaism is an ever changing wonderfully dynamic religion. If it weren't we wouldn't still be here.

As a family instead of seeing the differences as a bad thing we probably ought to see what we have in common.

And it is not an oxymoron because you put a whole group into what is your opinion. Not all reform Jews are the same. Not all conservative Jews are the same.

Not all conservative Jews are Torah observant.

I would suspect that you would say not all modern orthodox are Torah observant? Would I be correct?

Old 10-24-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Yes there are, and it can be a real life-altering experience when they do find out that they're Jewish:

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...s-out-hes.html

Yes it can because I found out recently I actually have the ashkenazi marker when I had a DNA test. It was life changing. It did not make me Jewish my conversion did but I have struggled to find out where my family came from and why they left and why I was brought up without a religion but with ethical monotheism. The rabbi I worked with said she believed I already was Jewish. When I became Jewish it was like I had come home so I know exactly what the experience is like.

Yes it is mind blowing. But it just opens a world of questions that cannot be answered.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:33 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Yes I know that, I have israeli friends and those who married non-Jews got married here. I think it is very sad that a government tells you who you can marry especially a democratic government. But maybe someday Israel will have civil marriages.
Israel doesn't have full separation of state & religion like in the USA. So it is not only Jews who can't marry people of the other faiths in Israel. Nobody in Israel can marry outside their religion as there are no civil ceremonies. The Israeli Movement for Citizens Rights (RATZ) which was headedby Shulamit Aloni for years was trying to change the law to permit civil wedding ceremonies in Israel. But that was never successful. The Israeli Government doesn't tell you who to marry, but it doesn't allow to marry certain people and in that case people take a short trip to Cyprus.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Like many other religions, one either updates it, and never mind what the Book says, or one sticks to the letter of the Law and risks being left behind by the rest of humanity.
According to an article in the Wall Street Journal, the more Liberal versions of Judaism and Christianity are losing market share while the more traditional versions are gaining market share.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Not all conservative Jews are Torah observant.
Most are not Torah-observant.

Quote:
I would suspect that you would say not all modern orthodox are Torah observant? Would I be correct?
No.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
According to an article in the Wall Street Journal, the more Liberal versions of Judaism and Christianity are losing market share while the more traditional versions are gaining market share.

Again it depends where you live. My area has many active non orthodox organizations and shuls. Anyway I am off to an adult learning class on Talmud. Have a great Sunday folks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism