Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,118,904 times

Advertisements

Judaism is a religion, but being Jewish does not mean you believe in a certain faith. It means you are ethnically Israeli, descended from the people in the Bible. If you convert, it's just like becoming an American citizen, even though you don't have the blood, your faith and love for the Israeli people makes you considered one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:20 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,504,325 times
Israel is an actual nation and I don't think all Jews identify as Israeli. For all I know some of them may descend more from the kingdom of Judah than Israel.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Israel is an actual nation and I don't think all Jews identify as Israeli. For all I know some of them may descend more from the kingdom of Judah than Israel.
It's still the same ethnic group though. I mean the 'Land of Israel'.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:36 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,031,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Judaism is a religion, but being Jewish does not mean you believe in a certain faith. It means you are ethnically Israeli, descended from the people in the Bible. If you convert, it's just like becoming an American citizen, even though you don't have the blood, your faith and love for the Israeli people makes you considered one of them.

Being Jewish means you were born of a Jewish mother or converted. Not all Jews are israeli. To be Israeli you are a citizen of Israel. Jews can make aliyah to Israel and in that case they become Israeli citizens.

Jews are not related by blood or race, we are a family. Jews by birth and Jews by choice are equally Jewish.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
It's still the same ethnic group though. I mean the 'Land of Israel'.

No! We are not an ethnic group. We come from all over the world and are of many different races and ethnicities.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Being Jewish means you were born of a Jewish mother or converted. Not all Jews are israeli. To be Israeli you are a citizen of Israel. Jews can make aliyah to Israel and in that case they become Israeli citizens.

Jews are not related by blood or race, we are a family. Jews by birth and Jews by choice are equally Jewish.
but the vast majority of jews are by birth, and descend from the ancient people of Israel.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
but the vast majority of jews are by birth, and descend from the ancient people of Israel.

Who knows with 4000 years of history I would not attempt to answer that....

But in Judaism a Jew by choice is as Jewish as a Jew by birth... so it does not really matter.....

The story of Ruth in the bible is held an the example of one coming to Judaism and she is a model.....

Last edited by Jazzymom; 10-21-2010 at 10:02 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 PM

15,836 posts, read 21,369,827 times
Quote:
Not really. Don't make sweeping statements when you know nothing of the history of a people.

Any Israeli blood in the vast majority of the diaspora is so diluted that it's inconsequential.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:07 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,576,462 times
Quote:
I did point out that the Edomites were forcibly converted, so in that case alone some totally non - Jewish people became as Jewish as any, eventually (though at the time, Jews did not fully accept them as true Children of Abraham).

"...At the end of the 2d cent. B.C., they were subdued by Hasmonaean priest-king John Hyrcanus I, forcibly circumcised, and merged with the Jews. Herod the Great was Idumaean. The Romans grouped Idumaea with Judaea and Samaria in one procuratorship."
Idumaeans definition of Idumaeans in the Free Online Encyclopedia.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,533,909 times
Quote:
Judaism is a religion, but being Jewish does not mean you believe in a certain faith. It means you are ethnically Israeli, descended from the people in the Bible.
You got it backwards. Being Jewish means that you practice the tenets of the religion. It has absolutely nothing to do with Israel or ethnicity. Anyone could choose to adopt Judaism as their religion, no matter what their ethnic background.

But what would I know about that? I'm a Jew from Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism