Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:00 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
find themselves in a precarious position these days. If they sound uneducated, illiterate, foolish, etc. the impression they leave is one which will cause those who are walking a tight line between believing and not believing to go south. I tuned across at least half a dozen religious channels and guess what? Most of them sound more than just foolish.

When somebody stands before hundreds of thousands or even millions and sound like what they're telling came directly from the creator of the universe they can't help sounding foolish. It's like the guys a few years ago who told that aliens came in a space ship and took them to the planet easelfod or someplace for a thorough physical examination...biopsy and all.
Just don't go lunking me in with those people. I haven't "got the call" or anything like that. My ministry is because I chose to help others, mainly prisoners. Not to preach at them but let them know how much they deserve to be loved just like everyone else. How they can become better people through education and really go for that degree they've always wanted but didn't know how to attain. I think that's what ministers, etc are supposed to do. Not all the preaching and burning in hell crap. Telling people that they have to do this or that or they won't be accepted. That's baloney in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 12:06 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Yep. Many is the time when we'd be at the dinner table, and my mom or my dad would fold their hands, bow their head and intone "I got the call today". My heart would sink, and I would know it was time to start packing and say goodbye to whatever friends I'd managed to make.

Longest time we lived anywhere when I was growing up was just under two years. Shortest time was three months. It sucked.

I bet it did. My parents moved mainly because they just needed a change. We moved to lots of different houses in the same area. I kinda thought that sucked. But it is nothing compared to your moving.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:14 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Just don't go lunking me in with those people. I haven't "got the call" or anything like that. My ministry is because I chose to help others, mainly prisoners. Not to preach at them but let them know how much they deserve to be loved just like everyone else. How they can become better people through education and really go for that degree they've always wanted but didn't know how to attain. I think that's what ministers, etc are supposed to do. Not all the preaching and burning in hell crap. Telling people that they have to do this or that or they won't be accepted. That's baloney in my book.
I did not intend to be offensive. From the time I first remember Sunday school till I quit showing up at church about sixteen years ago there was constant talk among the church membership about what this youngster and that youngster had been called to do. In 1957 when I was 23 years old our minister offered to help me become an ordained Baptist minister to keep from answering the draft. My wife(at that time) said the lord was calling me to preach. After much deliberation I went to the service. Now that I find myself feeling the way I do about the whole thing I'm very happy that I decided that way. It would have been a mistake for me to ever start preaching.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I did not intend to be offensive. From the time I first remember Sunday school till I quit showing up at church about sixteen years ago there was constant talk among the church membership about what this youngster and that youngster had been called to do. In 1957 when I was 23 years old our minister offered to help me become an ordained Baptist minister to keep from answering the draft. My wife(at that time) said the lord was calling me to preach. After much deliberation I went to the service. Now that I find myself feeling the way I do about the whole thing I'm very happy that I decided that way. It would have been a mistake for me to ever start preaching.
I think your "calling" was because the minister wanted to feel better about himself. I'm glad you went into service, although I'm against war, because it made you who you are today. You wouldn't be you and you would have probably been another grumpy, unhappy minister commiting sins left and right because well, you know, "you aren't supposed to have fun while here on earth" if your a minister or priest. (I tell ya, most ministers (fundys)would think I'm an abomination if they ever hung out with me. I speak what's on my mind way too much. )

Old 10-28-2010, 04:05 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
"Priests, Rabbis, Preachers, Ministers, Reverends, et al"
are propaganda ministers for the Status Quo and America's Military-Industrial Complex.
humbly I must agree with you; your statement is the truest truth.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:22 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I think your "calling" was because the minister wanted to feel better about himself. I'm glad you went into service, although I'm against war, because it made you who you are today. You wouldn't be you and you would have probably been another grumpy, unhappy minister commiting sins left and right because well, you know, "you aren't supposed to have fun while here on earth" if your a minister or priest. (I tell ya, most ministers (fundys)would think I'm an abomination if they ever hung out with me. I speak what's on my mind way too much. )
Rev...I think you and I could get along well even though our spiritual beliefs are 180 degrees out of phase.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Rev...I think you and I could get along well even though our spiritual beliefs are 180 degrees out of phase.
Yeah, me too. We had a little hill to get over a while back but I think we're all right.

Here's a funny. A few weeks ago I had a wedding to perform. I met the brides parents a few nights before the ceremony. (The bride is my son's girlfriends sister). I already met the mom a few times over the past year and a half so I was actually meeting the dad for the first time. Anyway, my son told his GF's dad that I was a minister about a year ago when the bride was looking for someone to perform the ceremony. So, in the mean time, the dad was thinking how he didn't want to meet me and thought I would be serious and all straight, well you know, the average minister in a church kind of person.

Well, like I said, I met the parents a few days before the ceremony and we did the rehearsal, gabbed and hung out for a little while.
After the wedding, we were all out smoking (yes, I'm a smoker) and him and his other daughter were talking and they looked at me and he says "When Lucas (my son) told us about you, we all just went "ugh, a minister". He then said "After we met you , we really like you, I mean really like you. You're nothing at all like we expected".

So yeah, we'd get along just fine Melvin.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
I have a simple method for determining if I like someone. I ask, Would I want this guy for my next door neighbor? or Would I want my sister or daughter to marry this guy? This test filters out any religious, political, racial, etc feelings. For example, I might be a hard core republican but I might feel more comfortable with Jimmy Carter living next to me. I might be white but I'd prefer the Obama family rather than white trash, and I might be atheist , but I might prefer church people over some grouchy, unfriendly, unengaging , humorless aeheist.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I have a simple method for determining if I like someone. I ask, Would I want this guy for my next door neighbor? or Would I want my sister or daughter to marry this guy? This test filters out any religious, political, racial, etc feelings. For example, I might be a hard core republican but I might feel more comfortable with Jimmy Carter living next to me. I might be white but I'd prefer the Obama family rather than white trash, and I might be atheist , but I might prefer church people over some grouchy, unfriendly, unengaging , humorless aeheist.
I think a lot of people are that way and it's a good filter system.

My system is if they bring me down or want to dump their emotional garbage in my lap and have no sense of humor about anything or they think they are better because they drive a nicer car, then they don't deserve my friendship. I do love all people but their actions sometimes leave a lot to be desired. If the action isn't good, most likely they aren't people to be around no matter if they are religious or not or how rich or poor or what color their skin is.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:22 AM

245 posts, read 455,418 times
Personally, I think the job is such that one need not have any academic qualifications. They just need to be relatable to their target demographic have some charm; charismatic individuals.

Edit: Wait, I've re-thought it... charisma and a marketing degree.

Last edited by Orestes; 10-29-2010 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism