Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 09:45 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times

Advertisements

This may seem like an odd question but were the well-known Greek Philosophers aware of and versed in what the Hebrew Prophets were preaching not so far away? I could see the language barrier not allowing any type of interaction between the two cultures. Still I would think any cross pollination of ideas would of had a big impact on the development of Western Civilization. Since there are hints of monotheism in Greek philosophy I do wonder if this was not due to some outside influence. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 09:13 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
It probably isn't surprising, because most of the prophets lived well before the Golden Age of Greek philosophy. If they were well versed in other literatures, the Greek philosophers could easily have read some of the Prophetic writings.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
This may seem like an odd question but were the well-known Greek Philosophers aware of and versed in what the Hebrew Prophets were preaching not so far away?
Alexander the Great conquered Judea in 334 B.C.E. and occupied the region for another 137 years until they were replaced by Rome, so being versed in the theology of the Jews would be a very natural occurrence and vice se versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It probably isn't surprising, because most of the prophets lived well before the Golden Age of Greek philosophy. If they were well versed in other literatures, the Greek philosophers could easily have read some of the Prophetic writings.
?!? Plato, c. 428–427 BC so which prophets are you referring to because there he would have been a contemporary of Jeremiah!

Old 11-16-2010, 12:16 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
So you're saying that some of the Greeks could read Hebrew? That begs the question could the Jews of that time understood any of the Greek literature.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
This may seem like an odd question but were the well-known Greek Philosophers aware of and versed in what the Hebrew Prophets were preaching not so far away? I could see the language barrier not allowing any type of interaction between the two cultures. Still I would think any cross pollination of ideas would of had a big impact on the development of Western Civilization. Since there are hints of monotheism in Greek philosophy I do wonder if this was not due to some outside influence. Any ideas?
In the year 582 A.D. the Very Christian Emporer Justinian closed the last of the ancient schools of philosophy.

The early church could not make the early religious and ethical imperatives found in the N.T. stick such as ; love everyone, give everything away , offer the otherside of the face to anyone who wants to slug you and so on.

And so the church had to quickly find the only reasonable set of ethics and moral behavior available to it at the time: namely the stoicism and those of the school of neoplatonism. and the morality as taught in the academy of aristotle.

This may answer your question as to how the christian church adapted the ancient of philosophy to its advantage.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:58 AM

377 posts, read 575,896 times
Default Greek Influence on Judaism

There were two periods when it all happened as far as I know. Both continue until today. It becomes interactive over the centuries.
I found this very nice summary for the earlier period. I think of 70CE this way myself, the Western World was by then as Josephus says "Antony, Cleopatra, Arab and Jew".
HELLENISM - JewishEncyclopedia.com

And the Golden Age of Islam and Moses Ben Maimon
MOSES BEN MAIMON - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Old 01-17-2014, 04:51 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
There are plenty of Greek Jews

Old 01-17-2014, 05:29 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
There are plenty of Greek Jews
What does the current 8000ish Jews living there now have to do with historical Greece?

History of the Jews in Greece - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism