Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 12:23 PM

445 posts, read 1,981,288 times

Advertisements

Apologetics Press - Biblical Accuracy and Circumcision on the 8th Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
Having undergone the removal of my own foreskin at age 14, I can assure you it is one of the most agonizing experiences a man could go through.

I will never force that pain on my defenseless sons.
We circumcise at 8 days and not 14 years. It just so happens that on 7th day of life, the body has 100% vitamin k it needs. on the 8th day it suddenly jumps for reasons doctors cant explain and the next day its normal. the extra vitamin k on the 8th day is because of the blood lose that occurs. Vitamin k helps blood clot.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:30 PM

5,469 posts, read 12,218,195 times
This is a most incredible and interesting thread. A very lively discussion and thorough explanation of the beauty that is Judasim.

Thank you,
Cobolt

Old 08-31-2007, 10:23 AM

10 posts, read 19,375 times
Talking What is the reason for Tallit?

I was wondering a few things. I have read in Numbers 15:37-39 about the garment that the Jews were to make for themselves, having the tassels on the 4 corners.

The Word says, "And it shall be for you a fringe, that you may look upon it and remember all the commandments of Yahweh, and do them, and that you seek not after your own heart, and your own eyes....."

So is this garment to be more than a reminder of the commandments of God?
I have read that Jewish men wear them in their morning devotions in the synagogue. Is there more to this garment to a Jew than this?

Also, in Malachi 4:2, " But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his WINGS; and ye shall go forth...."
What is the literal meaning of the word "wings" here.

One more, what exactly does the term "Elohim" mean to a Jewish beliver in God? I know it is the plural form of God and I know that God is one, and only one.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-31-2007, 01:09 PM

283 posts, read 1,191,981 times
Default Thanks to ahava!

I had originally placed this on a new thread in education because I really wanted to educate myself on the topic after feeling unsure of myself and possibly even wrong in thinking some of things thought. Fortunately ahava turned me on to this thread and it has answered many of my questions but not sure exactly how to place into words of my own yet, so I'm hoping since this is called "Ask a Jew!" and my question relates directly to being Jew one of the many people informing us on this wonderful thread can help me out. Thanks to all you in adavance!

Melting pot burr a division of people too much???

I ask this question because today at lunch I sat down with several of my co-workers and the discussion of Jews was brought up by a news report on TV. While discussing Jews I mentioned that most of the Jews I knew were Christian or unsure of any belief but not atheist. This brought quite a debate to the table. Seems that today many of our young people do not realize that a Jew is similar to nationality not a belief and then I began to doubt myself and wonder if I was wrong. Not all Jews practice Judaism, some of my co-workers had not even heard this of this religion. So how does one explain to people that a Jew can choose their religion, when they recognize Jew as a religion and not an ethnicity? I could really use some help on this. And can this blurred vision of today’s melting pot be good or is this bad? I can see potential for both.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleswanson View Post
I had originally placed this on a new thread in education because I really wanted to educate myself on the topic after feeling unsure of myself and possibly even wrong in thinking some of things thought. Fortunately ahava turned me on to this thread and it has answered many of my questions but not sure exactly how to place into words of my own yet, so I'm hoping since this is called "Ask a Jew!" and my question relates directly to being Jew one of the many people informing us on this wonderful thread can help me out. Thanks to all you in adavance!

Melting pot burr a division of people too much???

I ask this question because today at lunch I sat down with several of my co-workers and the discussion of Jews was brought up by a news report on TV. While discussing Jews I mentioned that most of the Jews I knew were Christian or unsure of any belief but not atheist. This brought quite a debate to the table. Seems that today many of our young people do not realize that a Jew is similar to nationality not a belief and then I began to doubt myself and wonder if I was wrong. Not all Jews practice Judaism, some of my co-workers had not even heard this of this religion. So how does one explain to people that a Jew can choose their religion, when they recognize Jew as a religion and not an ethnicity? I could really use some help on this. And can this blurred vision of today’s melting pot be good or is this bad? I can see potential for both.
I am not sure what you mean when you say that most jews you know are christians. I assume you mean they live as christians. From a jewish point of view, you are always a jew. What defines a jew? A person who is born from a jewish mother or someone who converts to Judaism following the torah's procedure for conversion. Most jews today are non practicing jews which is unfortunate. Judaism has different branches for different kinds of jews, like conservative, reform, orthodox,reconstructionist but there really is only one kind of jew. All jews have the same goal and that is to live by the word of the Torah (bible) not the "new testament". If a jew doesnt live by the torah he is not any less jewish, he is just one who has lost his way or simply is ignorant to the fact of his requirement. The jews were taken out of egypt by God so that he could give them the Torah for them to follow. If they had not accepted God's offer of the torah, They would not have received the land of Israel. Everything is contingent on the Torah.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:49 PM

283 posts, read 1,191,981 times
Not real sure how to answer that question about most jews I know being christian. I can only go by what they have informed me of. As you can tell my knowledge of jews is lacking in many areas. I can only assume that your synopsis would be correct. They claim thier jewish heritage but also say they christian. Thank you very much though for your explaination I find it to be very helpful. I realize that many had given answers similar to yours on another forum that I frequent but I found them to be sarcastic and demeaning of both my lack of knowledge and to jews and it made me wonder about the truth in thier answers or if by chance they might even be answering for jews without being jewish themselves. Very short answer but to the pointand full of information. Thank you greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
I am not sure what you mean when you say that most jews you know are christians. I assume you mean they live as christians. From a jewish point of view, you are always a jew. What defines a jew? A person who is born from a jewish mother or someone who converts to Judaism following the torah's procedure for conversion. Most jews today are non practicing jews which is unfortunate. Judaism has different branches for different kinds of jews, like conservative, reform, orthodox,reconstructionist but there really is only one kind of jew. All jews have the same goal and that is to live by the word of the Torah (bible) not the "new testament". If a jew doesnt live by the torah he is not any less jewish, he is just one who has lost his way or simply is ignorant to the fact of his requirement. The jews were taken out of egypt by God so that he could give them the Torah for them to follow. If they had not accepted God's offer of the torah, They would not have received the land of Israel. Everything is contingent on the Torah.

Last edited by pickleswanson; 09-07-2007 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: addition to reply

Old 09-08-2007, 03:00 PM

258 posts, read 789,510 times
Do the Jews believe that the OT Scriptures are the true word of God? If they do, then why would they deny the existance of Satan when the Scriptures clearly teach that there is such a being?

Old 09-08-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post
Do the Jews believe that the OT Scriptures are the true word of God? If they do, then why would they deny the existance of Satan when the Scriptures clearly teach that there is such a being?
Jews do not deny the existence of Satan.However, the Jewish view of Satan is quite different from the rest of the worlds view of Satan. First off, Satan is not headmaster of hell. He doesn't sit there over you while you dig with a shovel. In fact, hell cannot even be physical because your body is in the ground. This world is physical. Hell is purification for your soul before it can go to heaven and be with God.You cannot have 70 virgins or anything physical (what would your soul need with 70 virgins?).I think people need to put heaven and hell into physical terms so that they can try to understand.Satan is an angel of sorts. Not an angel like the rest of them. He has some sort of authority but God has the final word. Read the book of Job. Satan is mention in it.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:53 PM

"First off, Satan is not headmaster of hell. He doesn't sit there over you while you dig with a shovel."

I agree.

"In fact, hell cannot even be physical because your body is in the ground."

Again, I agree.

"This world is physical. Hell is purification for your soul before it can go to heaven and be with God."

I believe Hell does not exist at all. I believe it was a mistranslation and a confusion with the lake of fire, which isn't hell because hell is thrown into the lake of fire.

"You cannot have 70 virgins or anything physical (what would your soul need with 70 virgins?)."

I agree.

"Satan is an angel of sorts. Not an angel like the rest of them. He has some sort of authority but God has the final word. Read the book of Job. Satan is mention in it."

Satan was the first angel to rebel against God. Other angels had seen the whole scene of mankinds fall and Satan's accusation that man could rule over man without God (in the garden) and later in Job where he accuses that no man would be loyal to God under test. Some of the other angels joined Satan in his rebelling, these fallen the Scriptures call demons. They, along with Satan, have caused evil to increase and the suffering of man to become worse. But it is the NT, which you reject as God's word, that points to a clearer understanding of Satan and the demons. (1Jh 3:8 / Heb 2:14 / Jh 14:30 / Rev 12:9 / 1Jh 5:19 / 2Cor 4:4)

Old 09-08-2007, 08:00 PM

I have another question. Why do Jews reject Jesus as the messiah when the Hebrew Scriptures are filled with prophesies that Jesus fulfilled? Have you never taken a look at these fulfillments, or do you feel the NT is false?

How do I know about Jesus' messiahhood? (http://www.wtv-zone.com/intelligent-health/Bible/1AQAjesusfulfilledthem.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.