Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 02:19 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
I have neighbors that live across the street who are Jewish. Unsure if they Orthadox or Unorhthadox (what is the difference??)

Well, One day as I was walking my dog and I see the husband watching me, I thought it was odd because he normally doesn't talk to anyone and they keep to themselves. I could sense by the way he was looking that he had something he wanted to ask me. Then he asks me if I can come into the house and turn off there stove I asked why are you asking me to come into your house and turn off your stove. He explained it was some Jewish custom that forbade them to touch anything electrical and that he usually asks another neighbor to do it for him but they were out of town. I didn't feel threatened by this, I didn't feel any danger, I asked him where his wife was and why she couldn't turn off the stove, he explained the same thing, she is forbidden to touch anything electrical. So I go in with my dog in their house and I see the wife sitting on the couch holding their baby and all the lights are on upstairs and downstairs.

And she was very sweet, so I walk in the kitchen and turn off the stove. And they both thanked me very kindly for that. I have never heard of such a thing??!!. They never asked me again, because our other neighbor is back in town who usually turns off the stove or turns on the lights for them. Can you please explain what this was??? Thank you.
Observant Jews are not allowed to do 'work' on the Sabbath. Whichever branch of Judaism your neighbor belonged to has decreed that operating electrical appliances is work. Therefore, if something is running that needs to be turned off, it can be very handy to have a gentile neighbor come in and do the deed for you.

Being a strictly observant Jew can be mightily complex full-time job.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:06 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Here's a question I have: Why do some Jews get offended if you call them a Jew? That's what they are. I've never seen a Catholic get offended when someone calls them a Catholic.

Maybe they sense it is not being said in a good way? I don't know I am very proud to be a Jew but I am sometimes wary of the intent of non-Jews towards me.

I am not sure why one would need to label someone as a particular religion to their face and the reasons to do.

Can you give a more specific context to "calling someone a Jew"?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Actually some who practice Judaism don't believe that Jesus is God. That is why I asked the question. The Jews in Jesus time didn't believe Him to be God and there are still some today who believe this. But those who believe that Jesus is God are called Messianic Jews.

I agree only God can be God and Jesus is God. But if you study if you haven't there are some who are into Judaism who believe the Father to be God, but not Jesus. Was just wondering where this person stood in the view point.
No practicing Jews believe Jesus is G-d and if they do they are not Jews they have become Christians, and have left the Jewish religion.

Jews believe there can be no sacrifice to atone for another's sins. The idea of sin is more of missing the mark--- chet.

We are responsible for our own behavior. Each of us is responsible for our own sins and behavior. Each of us stands before G-d. G-d alone can forgive sins against him and we also must ask forgiveness from those we have sinned against.

Just as Isaac was not sacrificed but a lamb was put in his place, human sacrifice is not the way towards forgiveness. In fact human sacrifice is against G-d's law.

Judaism is a very ethical, just religion.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
I like this thread. Very informative. Why is there the sterotype that all or most Jewish people are wealthy?? I have often wondered that. It is great to have an open forum like this.

Jews are rich, poor and somewhere in the middle. We work hard and want to succeed. I think since we are a but a fraction of the population and a very small group of people it seems we are all rich.

I think the stereotype of all of us being rich has been spread so that when things are bad we can be blamed. It has anti-Semitic roots.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Jews are rich, poor and somewhere in the middle. We work hard and want to succeed. I think since we are a but a fraction of the population and a very small group of people it seems we are all rich.

I think the stereotype of all of us being rich has been spread so that when things are bad we can be blamed. It has anti-Semitic roots.
Oy vey, are you deliberately trying to reveal all the secrets? We're just like other people...but for heaven's sake, you can't actually come out in the open and say so!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Jesus was a Jew who practiced Judaism and was a jewish teacher who did not intend to start a new religion. He wanted reform in his own.

So, he was in fact, a Jew. This is one of the great inconsistencies I see in contemporary Christianity; this antipathy towards Jews.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
So, he was in fact, a Jew. This is one of the great inconsistencies I see in contemporary Christianity; this antipathy towards Jews.

Yes he was a Jew as were all his followers while he was alive. He grew up in Judaism and celebrated all the Jewish holidays and learned Torah. He was a Jew.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Oy vey, are you deliberately trying to reveal all the secrets? We're just like other people...but for heaven's sake, you can't actually come out in the open and say so!

lololololololol oye vey...... to late they are out.....

Old 03-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
They want there cake and to eat it too.

To say they are the new covenant but use the Jewish Bible. To deny Jesus was a Jew yet he was. To have this antipathy towards Jews is strange since their messiah was a Jew..... very strange.....:rolleye s:

Old 03-29-2010, 10:18 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
They want there cake and to eat it too.

To say they are the new covenant but use the Jewish Bible. To deny Jesus was a Jew yet he was. To have this antipathy towards Jews is strange since their messiah was a Jew..... very strange.....:rolleye s:
Case in point...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism