Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The Christians old testament was taken from the Jewish Tanakh or Hebrew scriptures.
You missed the point of my post. Look at it again, reading yours and then read mine. It's pretty subtle, with a little touch of humor. It was directed not at the forest, but just one of the trees. ;-)

Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookreader2010 View Post
According to this book I have been reading called “the primordial language” by author Anita Meyer, who I presume is Jewish. She says that the Jews do not acknowledge the concept of the Trinity, but that it can be found in the first three letters of Genesis 1.

I can look this up if anyone is interested?
The Jews [before they were called Jews they were called "Israel", who do acknowledge the multiplicity of Persons in YHWH wrote the Book which those who deny the multiplicity of Persons in YHWH deny!!

It is right there in the first chapters of Genesis. YHWH ELohym said; "Let us make Adam in our image"...and so "YHWH elohym made Adam in His own image".
Also, In Genesis 5:2, "male [one person] and female [one person] made He them and called their name Adam. Two persons in one Adam kind right there, shows the multiplicity of persons in the created kinds, mirroring the multiplicity of Persons in the ONE YHWH uncreated "Kind".

And as to the image of YHWH elohym: it is "One", and Adam is made in it -right there in Genesis!

Was the image of YHWH Elohym ever seen [as written] in the Torah? Yes, in the Person of the Word/Voice of YHWH, from the beginning, and in the Person of the "Tselem" of YHWH, The God of Israel, whom Moses saw and spoke with, "mouth to mouth", and whom the elders of Israel sawand dined before, in Exodus 24.

"And they saw the God of Israel: and [there was] under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in [his] clearness And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink".

Numbers 12
And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, [i] YHWH will make myself known unto him in a vision, [and] will speak unto him in a dream.

My servant Moses [is] not so, who [is] faithful in all mine house.

With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:54 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
The Jews [before they were called Jews they were called "Israel", who do acknowledge the multiplicity of Persons in YHWH wrote the Book which those who deny the multiplicity of Persons in YHWH deny!!
Are you Jewish? Because if you're not, then I resent your climbing up on a soapbox and making pronouncements in a thread called "Ask a Jew."

Old 03-30-2010, 12:24 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
No practicing Jews believe Jesus is G-d and if they do they are not Jews they have become Christians, and have left the Jewish religion.

Jews believe there can be no sacrifice to atone for another's sins. The idea of sin is more of missing the mark--- chet.

We are responsible for our own behavior. Each of us is responsible for our own sins and behavior. Each of us stands before G-d. G-d alone can forgive sins against him and we also must ask forgiveness from those we have sinned against.

Just as Isaac was not sacrificed but a lamb was put in his place, human sacrifice is not the way towards forgiveness. In fact human sacrifice is against G-d's law.

Judaism is a very ethical, just religion.
What of Judges 11?
30: And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
31: Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

34: And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.
35: And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back.
36: And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the LORD, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the LORD hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon.

So Jephthah offered his daughter as a burnt offering! Could God not allowed an Ox or Goat or lamb to come out and meet Jephthat? God allowed a Ram for Isaac even after He asked Abraham for his son. Could God not have offered another animal other then the daughter of Jephthah? If not, then He seems pleased with the offering even though it was human.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:00 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
What of Judges 11?
30: And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
31: Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

34: And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.
35: And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back.
36: And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the LORD, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the LORD hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon.

So Jephthah offered his daughter as a burnt offering! Could God not allowed an Ox or Goat or lamb to come out and meet Jephthat? God allowed a Ram for Isaac even after He asked Abraham for his son. Could God not have offered another animal other then the daughter of Jephthah? If not, then He seems pleased with the offering even though it was human.
No he did not. She became a sacrifice to the service of God in the temple; a temple servant who would not marry nor bear children.

The English is so not the original language!

Old 03-30-2010, 04:05 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Forgive me if this has been asked. What is the reason for circumcision in the Jewish faith? I notice that it is falling out of favor among the general population and wonder if fewer Jews are having this procedure also.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:23 PM

47 posts, read 70,975 times
Default Yeshuasavedme

I am really sorry if my comment sounded like a challenge. It not my intention to convert anyone or weaken his faith in his religion. I am sure that millions beside those prophets and men of God you mentioned disagree with my vision of religion and spirituality. Anyway I stand by the literal mention of "satan" in The Scriptures. Thanks for your attention.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The word "Satan" means adversary, or accuser. It is not the name of a specific being. The book of Job makes a reference to an adversary of the Lord (but does not name that adversary).

The title of this thread is Ask a Jew. I'm Jewish--take this explanation however you want to, but it happens to be the truth.
Thank You for the information Fred. Is the interpretation of the word "satan" as adversary or accuser generally accepted by Jewish scholars?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Somebody posted an "Ask an Athiest" thread, which was a great idea, so I thought I'd start an "Ask a Jew" thread. I'm obviously Jewish, so ask me anything you want, stuff you're curious about, etc. Other Jews can chime in if they want.
I really appreciate your offer to illustrate us non-Jews and other Jews on some questions related to the first monotheist belief of mankind. If possible I would like You to mention the source that supports the answers, especially The Holy Bible since most of us have access to it and consider it the foundation of our faith.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:44 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Forgive me if this has been asked. What is the reason for circumcision in the Jewish faith? I notice that it is falling out of favor among the general population and wonder if fewer Jews are having this procedure also.
The reason for circumcision is it was commanded for us to do it as a sign of the covenant. Do some Jews not? I am sure some may not but I am sure most do because it is a sign of the covenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism