Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:25 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

Who is a Jew? As the recent passport row shows, that question can be murky, with elements of belief, values, descent and nationality mixed in.

It also has dark reminders of a terrible time in history when Jewish blood meant death; and science, or pseudo-science, claimed to be able to sniff it out.

View from the Lab: Who is a Jew? DNA can hold the key - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,045,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Who is a Jew? As the recent passport row shows, that question can be murky, with elements of belief, values, descent and nationality mixed in.

It also has dark reminders of a terrible time in history when Jewish blood meant death; and science, or pseudo-science, claimed to be able to sniff it out.

The dna testing does not tell if anyone is Jewish. It simply tells you if you have a dna marker. The markers can tell you what part of the world your ancestry comes from. It can tell you if you have Ashkenazi or sephardic markers. If you do that does not make you Jewish. It simply says you might have Jewish ancestry. You need to be born of a Jewish mother to be Jewish or convert.

Jewish Genealogy By Genetics - JewishGen

Old 03-22-2010, 11:32 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The dna testing does not tell if anyone is Jewish. It simply tells you if you have a dna marker. The markers can tell you what part of the world your ancestry comes from. It can tell you if you have Ashkenazi or sephardic markers. If you do that does not make you Jewish. It simply says you might have Jewish ancestry. You need to be born of a Jewish mother to be Jewish or convert.
All true, of course. But I bet you and I both know where this thread is going to wind up! (Especially at this auspicious time of year, as we approach the Passover--when the infamous Blood Libel is sure to be revived!)

Old 03-22-2010, 05:24 PM

200 posts, read 308,215 times
My best friend is a Jew.

What is the infamous Blood Libel?

I don't get out much.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

But we have to consider whether being Jewish is a religion or a race. Would Ashkenazi Jews test positive? Perhaps not, and yet, are Anshkenazi Jews any less Jews than those of Sephardic origins? I think not.

My father's heritage was Jewish, way, way, WAY back. However I am anything but Jewish. Perhaps I would test positive, I don't know (DNA is such a funny thing). I do not identify with that race nor that religion nor that culture so how can I be considered Jewish if my DNA says I am? That's preposterous. Who you are is also part and parcel to what you believe and the culture/life you grew up with and relate to.

Considering the extremely close proximity in the middle east. I would wager a guess that even some Muslim people would test positive for Jewish DNA. What kind of insanity is that? Nope, doesn't work for me at all.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-22-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
20yrsinBranson

how can I be considered Jewish if my DNA says I am?

you would not be considered Jewish, you would just have the possibility of Jewish ancestry. To be Jewish you need to be born to a Jewish mother or be a convert.

I think I explained that in my original post.....

Old 03-22-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
All true, of course. But I bet you and I both know where this thread is going to wind up! (Especially at this auspicious time of year, as we approach the Passover--when the infamous Blood Libel is sure to be revived!)

Oye vey...... I need to just ignore this thread.......

Happy Pesach Fred!!
Chag Sameach!!

Old 03-22-2010, 07:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
how can I be considered Jewish if my DNA says I am?

you would not be considered Jewish, you would just have the possibility of Jewish ancestry. To be Jewish you need to be born to a Jewish mother or be a convert.

I think I explained that in my original post.....
But wait. You get 1/2 your DNA from your father. So you could be born of a non-Jewish mother and still have Jewish DNA.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
But wait. You get 1/2 your DNA from your father. So you could be born of a non-Jewish mother and still have Jewish DNA.

20yrsinBranson

being Jewish is passed through the mother not the father. Reminding myself to ignore this thread. I will not get into a thread if all you want to do is hack to death what makes someone Jewish.....

Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm...mabeynot View Post
What is the infamous Blood Libel?

I don't get out much.
That's an old story invented by, who would have imagined, Christians back in the middle ages as an excuse to go rampaging through Jewish neighborhoods, ransacking and murdering. You might not think so in our technological, 21st century world...but the Blood Libel hasn't disappeared completely. Allegedly, Jews use the blood of Christian children to make matzoh. (I can tell you as a Jew that it isn't true, but then if you already subscribed to that theory, you probably wouldn't believe me!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism