Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:07 AM

50,079 posts, read 20,479,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Only God can declare that. That is my belief from reading the scriptures. I welcome other's opinions on the subject.
I rather thought the argument was about two apparently contradictory declarations from God. It seems clear that one either does regard the OT Saturday (did it again) observance as pretty much required or one doesn't regard either Sunday or Saturday as an required observance. There is no reasonable way one can have Sunday instead of Saturday observance according to scripture. Of course, if one accepts the papal changes then one should be a catholic. Unless one decides that later revelations supersede the Vatican, in which case we should all be Mormons or Muslims.

Whichever way you play it, there are problems and I guess it's just a case of keep your eyes shut and ignore any unwelcome facts.

erratum post #8 "if we observe the Sabbath as Brrpthh above said, it should be on Sunday and you should all be doing it in the Synagogue" I meant of course, 'Saturday'.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-19-2011 at 08:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You have to admire tthttf's blitzkrieg style: make a resounding declaration and then vanish with the breeze--the better to avoid being challenged or criticized, I imagine. At least he didn't finish this one with "Wake up, America!" (We have to be thankful for small favors).
You think it was a drive - by pamphletting?

Old 08-19-2011, 08:16 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,468,523 times
Exodus 20:9 Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:

Exodus 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

The first day of the work week for me and 99% of the western world is Monday. That would make Sunday the Seventh Day.

Saturday is day six. 'K.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:34 AM

Ok That will do. If you have a different calendar, you have a different seventh day. The Lord is probably very understanding about such things.

How about the Gospel pronouncement about any kind of sabbath observance not being mandatory, not to say unimportant? Actually I can already see the answer - Sabbath observance is ok. In fact required, but it is ok to do work on whichever sabbath you observe (so long as it is 'good') and you don't need to fast. Good enough?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:41 AM

951 posts, read 1,045,582 times
My Sabbath beliefs go far beyond the text.

I was called by God because God revealed to me that I was breaking the Holy Sabbath.

I was working on the Sabbath and was given material to read by a friend and it showed clearly that the 7th Day Sabbath was to kept Holy. The very next Sabbath right at sunset I became so ill I had to leave my job to go home sick. I meditated on all this and came back and told my employer that I could no longer work on the Sabbath.

This is not dry dull text about a people of millennia gone by, it is a NOW topic! God's Sabbath has been clearly defined to me by God Himself. He intervened right on the dot just as the sun had set at end of the 6th Day of the Week. I know when God's 7th Day Sabbath begins. God revealed that to me personally and I shall keep that fact in focus for the rest of my life.

And if God is truly calling you to be in His True Church then He will do the same for you. There will be no guessing.

John 6:44, 65

Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,793,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Only God can declare that. That is my belief from reading the scriptures. I welcome other's opinions on the subject.
Are you going to address the fact that your Bible says 'forever' and not 'until Jesus comes'.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:02 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,468,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Are you going to address the fact that your Bible says 'forever' and not 'until Jesus comes'.
Forever-to the Jews. Not to the gentiles.

Exodus 31:12-17

12 Then the LORD said to Moses, 13 “Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the LORD, who makes you holy.
14 “‘Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. Anyone who desecrates it must be put to death; whoever does any work on that day must be cut off from his people. 15 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death. 16 The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. 17 It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested.’”

Old 08-19-2011, 12:06 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,107,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
I was called by God because God revealed to me that I was breaking the Holy Sabbath.
All right, my brother,you will observe the Sabbath. What then does the Bible teach those under the law to do on the Sabbath? From sunset on Friday evening until Sunset on Saturday evening you are to do no work, not even to prepare a meal. If you want to eat Saturday, make the food on Friday before sunset. We are instructed to walk through God's creation and admire it's beauty and praise him, to visit the sick and those in prison. There is nothing in the entire Bible about attending a worship service at a temple or church on the Sabbath. Get out your concordance and read every reference to the Sabbath and you will see that this is correct. God bless you for your willingness to obey His Word, and He will reward your faithfullness.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:16 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,793,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Forever-to the Jews. Not to the gentiles.

Exodus 31:12-17

12 Then the LORD said to Moses, 13 “Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the LORD, who makes you holy.
14 “‘Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. Anyone who desecrates it must be put to death; whoever does any work on that day must be cut off from his people. 15 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death. 16 The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. 17 It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested.’”
Oh I see....it's for someone else and not YOU!! How silly of me. That must mean that the whole of the ten commandments are for the Jews and not for you right...so why don't you just throw then out the window? In fact the whole of the OT can be dispensed with because it doesn't apply to you right?

Old 08-20-2011, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 924 times
Actually revelation also talks about how in heaven we will worship together from sabbath to sabbath. Keeping the Sabbath is true. Have studied it and there is no valid argument for the sabbath being disposed of. Bideshi, perhaps you could show why you worship on Sunday from the bible? Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism