Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:11 AM

951 posts, read 1,052,419 times

Advertisements

Today is the preparation day.

Post Date Hebrew Calendar: 19-Av-5771
Post Date Roman Calendar: 2011-08-19

Keeping the Seventh Day Sabbath Holy is the Fourth of the Ten Commandments.

Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Exodus 20:9 Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:

Exodus 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Keeping the Seventh Day Sabbath is part of keeping the Ten Commandments.

Christ did NOT do away with His Father's Commandments but kept them and told His disciples to keep the Commandments which includes the 7th Day Sabbath.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Matthew 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Mark 2:27: "God made the Sabbath for man, not man for the Sabbath." Jesus Christ.

Jesus freed us from the law of the Sabbath.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:53 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I have to say, you said a mouthful there, Bideshi. If ever I want someone to argue for Sunday trading, I'll call on you.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:58 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Jesus freed us from the law of the Sabbath.
Seems he 'freed' you from just about anything that you find inconvenient.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Seems he 'freed' you from just about anything that you find inconvenient.
If Jesus had instructed us to uphold the law of the Sabbath, I would willingly do so. He is the Lord of the Sabbath, and He is my Lord. However, the example set by Him and His disciples shows that the old law of the Sabbath is no longer required to be followed. That is what I read in my Bible and what I believe. Each of the other nine Ten Commandments is upheld as still binding elsewhere in the New Testament. I am wasting time replying to you I know (you are only a mocker), but there may be others genuinely interested in debating this point of faith.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:20 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
If Jesus had instructed us to uphold the law of the Sabbath, I would willingly do so.
But he did tell you to uphold it.....

For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I don't appear to have seen Heaven and Earth pass away....did I miss it?

Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgements, and his commandments, always.

Be ye mindful always of his covenant; the word which he commanded to a thousand generations ... an everlasting covenant.

Thou art near, O LORD; and all thy commandments are truth. Concerning thy testimonies, I have known of old that thou hast founded them for ever.

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgements endureth for ever.
Do you have a problem understanding the words "for ever" and "everlasting"?

Old 08-19-2011, 05:31 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
If Jesus had instructed us to uphold the law of the Sabbath, I would willingly do so. He is the Lord of the Sabbath, and He is my Lord. However, the example set by Him and His disciples shows that the old law of the Sabbath is no longer required to be followed. That is what I read in my Bible and what I believe. Each of the other nine Ten Commandments is upheld as still binding elsewhere in the New Testament. I am wasting time replying to you I know (you are only a mocker), but there may be others genuinely interested in debating this point of faith.
Raffs is making a very valid point. No-where does it say that God's law will last for ever but only until he sends His Only Begotten Son to say 'All bets off', or even 'the other commandments are binding - forget that one'. That, one would expect, should have been worth some kind of warning better than buried prophetic hints in Psalms or Isaiah.

What Raffs is (I suppose) asking, is: doesn't the gospel passage completely clash with the commandment to observe the sabbath set out in the OT? If so, was Jesus justified in saying so? If not then, if we observe the Sabbath as Brrpthh above said, it should be on Sunday and you should all be doing it in the Synagogue. If he is, of course, then Sunday observance is at least optional or is contrary to Jesus' teaching.

You will be familiar with C. S Lewis' Lord, Liar or lunatic fallacy. If Jesus claimed falsely on his own authority to abrogate the Sabbath commandment, Liar or lunatic, perhaps, but not Lord of the sabbath or anything else.

I think we would both be 'genuinely interested' in debating this 'point of faith'.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:27 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Isnt it odd that one commandment is supposedly now null and void?
Ya' think the 'honor' they mother and father' one might be next?
"Girl spanked to death"
//www.city-data.com/forum/athei...me-god-un.html

Old 08-19-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Isnt it odd that one commandment is supposedly now null and void?
Only God can declare that. That is my belief from reading the scriptures. I welcome other's opinions on the subject.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:48 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
You have to admire tthttf's blitzkrieg style: make a resounding declaration and then vanish with the breeze--the better to avoid being challenged or criticized, I imagine. At least he didn't finish this one with "Wake up, America!" (We have to be thankful for small favors).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism