Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:15 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
This is a pretty good little blog summary:
Jewish Atheist: Repost: Ancient Judaism was Polytheistic

Also, here:

Judaism
If you watch the original movie The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston, it pretty much lays it out and walks you through the Jewish lives in slavery to the beliefs in many and eventually one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 09:04 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
According to the Talmud (Avodah Zarah 2b), G-d offered the Torah to all the nations of the earth, and the Jews were the only ones who accepted it. The story goes on to say that the Jews were offered the Torah last, and accepted it only because G-d held a mountain over their heads! (in Ex. 19:17, the words generally translated as "at the foot of the mountain" literally mean "underneath the mountain"!) another traditional story suggests that G-d chose the Jewish nation because they were the lowliest of nations, and their success would be attributed to G-d's might rather than their own ability. -- Judaism 101.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:18 PM

104 posts, read 104,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As a Christian, I am curious to see the theories or hypothesis on: How Jehovah/Yahwee got to be God. I keep reading here (C-D) that many atheists believe that the Jews were polytheistic and became monotheistic over time. This is a new concept to me.

I have no intention of debating, but others may feel free.

Links to back up ideas are useful, but not necessary.

Thanks for your time.
Machiventa Melchizedek.

He came here, materialized, and taught Abraham. The details are in The Urantia Book.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:26 PM

416 posts, read 630,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmweatherman View Post
Confucius and Buddha are not religions, they are philosophical mental disciplines.
That's the point, they are non-believers.

Quote:
Scientists do not belong in your presented sample as they come from all walks of life and all religions (or lack thereof).
We're talking non-believers who bring things of value to mankind, and many scientists are non-believers. I don't need to remind you of your words I previously quoted do I? Or do non-believing scientists not count as non-believers?

Quote:
Name a famous humanist and his/her benefits to mankind.
List of humanists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Follow the links for more information.

Quote:
The Pirahã are hunter-gatherers who cannot count (no numbers or math) and who are polytheistic like so many primitive Amazonian tribes. I am sure their witch-doctors guide them to enlightenment. I fail to see any manner they fit into this discussion.
They are not polytheistic. They turned a Christian Missionary atheist. How an Amazonian tribe turned a missionary into an atheist And it fits as you said "even a quick assessment seems to point to the fact that mankind has always needed God." I give you a whole people who don't.

Quote:
but I wish they felt the same way about believers and Christians. Hope you're having a good day, as I am.
If only believers and Christians kept their beliefs to themselves instead of trying to pass their faith off as truth and knowledge and spreading the "word" and attempting to force everyone to live by it.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:32 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_in_Aus View Post
Machiventa Melchizedek.

He came here, materialized, and taught Abraham. The details are in The Urantia Book.
Read the Urantia book. It was ah..........interesting.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:50 AM

908 posts, read 1,660,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Pardon me, my good sir, but aren't you forgetting one very important detail?

Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son.
She called his name: Shet / Granted-One!
meaning: God has granted me another seed in place of Hevel,
for Kayin killed him.
To Shet as well a son was born,
he called his name: Enosh / Mortal.

At that time they first called out the name of YHWH.
(Genesis 4:25-26, TFBOM, Fox)

And indeed - reading through Genesis up to the point in Exodus where the Priestly writer decides Yahweh first revealed his Name to man - we find many examples of people using the name Yahweh.

I notice in a later post, you point out that "Atheists love to twist things around". So tell me - am I twisting this reference from Genesis, or are you twisting the reference from Exodus?
From the beginning, all created beings "knew" or were aware or were unified with God, but that changed, and some started to veer away, til they forgot Him. The rebel known as Satan, has something to do with getting people away from God. He throws as much dirt onto us and into our minds as possible, til we cannot see or know or hear truth and become blinded spiritually. Until Jesus comes to clean off our windshield and we can then see and drive again safely.
oh, by the way. if you'd like Him to clean off your windshield, just ask Him. He will hear. I know. And there's nothing like experience to convince a person. so give it a try, but you have to mean it. then wait and see.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
From the beginning, all created beings "knew" or were aware or were unified with God, but that changed, and some started to veer away, til they forgot Him. The rebel known as Satan, has something to do with getting people away from God. He throws as much dirt onto us and into our minds as possible, til we cannot see or know or hear truth and become blinded spiritually. Until Jesus comes to clean off our windshield and we can then see and drive again safely.
oh, by the way. if you'd like Him to clean off your windshield, just ask Him. He will hear. I know. And there's nothing like experience to convince a person. so give it a try, but you have to mean it. then wait and see.
Well, that may be so - but this probably ain't the place to preach a snappy little jingle about Jesus and my windshields.
Looking through the Hebrew Bible, I somehow missed the references to the Rebel Satan throwing dirt on us, and how we need to wait for Jesus. In fact - I don't find any references that we must forgoe God's grace and wait for Jesus instead. But that's a whole 'nother topic.

The point was being made about 2 specific references in the Hebrew Bible concerning the name of God - Yahweh.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:17 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmweatherman View Post
What the godless cultures have given us is Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin, Kim Il Jung.
Sorry, but Hitler and Nazi Germany were anything BUT "Godless". They were Christian through and through.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:49 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Hitler used Christianity when he could gain advantage by it, like many Christians. The swastika is a modified cross. Stalin studied for the priesthood. None of this proves anything other than that atheism should not be held accountable for their crimes.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:58 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Hitler used Christianity when he could gain advantage by it, like many Christians.
Regardless of Hitler, Nazi Germany was a Christian nation. Much if not all of the anti-semitism can be traced directly back to the Church's attitude toward Jews and the works of Martin Luther (e.g. The Jews and Their Lies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism