Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:15 PM

87 posts, read 87,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
"Better Jew" means a more observant Jew.

Converts are not genetically a Jew, but they are a Jew, and it is considered very bad form to mention that someone is a convert after their conversion.

Mr Walter Greenspan so is she a more observant Jew?

Does she need your approval my approval or anyone else's approval for it?

Can she approve herself?

It's getting down to it.

The winners stay winning.

Convert to me means to proselyte in becoming a Jew so there must be a "natural" Jew. Who is the "natural" Jew? Is that genetic based? Is it sex based too?

These are hard questions I know but I am thankful for the more. If you can't answer them then I already can get the answers from a higher source too. But it's nice to talk to people of the world though who know it all.

Appreciate.

That's my thoughts on this matter.

Last edited by Pup Eli; 11-30-2011 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Forgot about Amy-Jill for a second
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 02:15 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,051,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup Eli View Post
Exception to being "the better Jew I become." says Amy-Jill Levine.

Oh I can hear the snickering in the background against Amy-Jill Levine.

Who gave you Amy-Jill Levine this authority of being the "better Jew".

Let me check last point made in the world, you have to be genetically Jew to claim Jew in the world of science and DNA. Is that the authority to decide who is a Jew or not. But the term Jew and its association was made way before the coming of modern day science and technology. So who is this authority?

There is no adjective before the word Jew. There is no such thing recorded to my knowledge of a "good" Jew and "bad" Jew. So is she an exception?

On here there is always an argument of who is considered the good Muslim and bad Muslim, then it always debase to Christians.

To be "better Jew" means that there is a lesser quality to being a Jew.

Who decides that? Amy-Jill Levine did that herself.

Being a teacher is better indeed. But according to Rabbi requirements of orthodoxy, you must be a man strictly. Is she breaking the requirements? I can go beyond this but let's stay put on this thought.

Is she an exception? Why?

I indeed have me here a GRAND PRIZE WINNER.

Mr. Walter Greenspan if you can't speak on such great matters I understand, but can you give me someone who can answer this question.

Appreciate.

I can only speak as a Muslim. Every Muslim strives constantly to be a better Muslim. We will never reach perfection, but we can always do something to improve (better) ourselves.

I do not see Ms Levine saying anything different from that. Is there some prohibition you know of that forbids a person from seeking to Improve (better) themselves?

I may be misunderstanding something. but I do think English speaking Jews and English speaking Muslims share the same English language.

Perhaps one of our Jewish members can correct me if I am in error in saying there is no prohibition for any Jew, male or Female, to try to improve (better) themselves.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:19 PM

15,857 posts, read 21,413,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup Eli View Post
Let me check last point made in the world, you have to be genetically Jew to claim Jew in the world of science and DNA. Is that the authority to decide who is a Jew or not. But the term Jew and its association was made way before the coming of modern day science and technology. So who is this authority?

There is no adjective before the word Jew. There is no such thing recorded to my knowledge of a "good" Jew and "bad" Jew. So is she an exception?

On here there is always an argument of who is considered the good Muslim and bad Muslim, then it always debase to Christians.

To be "better Jew" means that there is a lesser quality to being a Jew.

Who decides that? Amy-Jill Levine did that herself.

Being a teacher is better indeed. But according to Rabbi requirements of orthodoxy, you must be a man strictly. Is she breaking the requirements? I can go beyond this but let's stay put on this thought.
Amy-Jill Levine is neither a convert nor a Rabbi. Where is your argument coming from?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:22 PM

Smile Great answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Amy-Jill Levine is neither a convert nor a Rabbi. Where is your argument coming from?
OK thanks. Appreciate.

You
know she is approved.

I understand.

I don't know. Are you a teacher by the way?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:37 PM

15,857 posts, read 21,413,934 times
I am not a teacher, but I attended college, grad school, and work at a Jewish founded institution.

What do you mean by "approved"?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Smile Thanks and let me say thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I am not a teacher, but I attended college, grad school, and work at a Jewish founded institution.

What do you mean by "approved"?
Alright, I laid out the "approved" question in my previous posts. If Amy-Jill Levine can answer my question all the more, I think it would be best...

Those questions are fair and unbiased based on the article link posted by Walter Greenspan.

Maybe I read a biased wikipedia website listing degrees of Rabbi based requirement used in orthodox setting of the religion considered as Judaism.

Maybe a "true" Rabbi can correct them and that piece for the world to see.

Otherwise Google can pick up this website and this particular post and alert someone to do it for them.

Appreciate.

No ill will, but either you know it all or you don't.

I don't know.

Last edited by Pup Eli; 11-30-2011 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Concluding remark.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:40 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,036,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
She's a biblical scholar specializing in New Testamental studies, and she has taught in various universities as a Professor. This is in an academic setting, not in a synagogue. Big difference, I think.

Does that help?

There are many Women rabbis and they are in all the movements except orthodox. Judaism has many different movements, not only orthodoxy.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:43 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,036,659 times
[quote=Pup Eli;21917647]Hello Walter Greenspan,

Accordingly this woman in order to teach Jews must be a Rabbi which apparently she is not so this article just adds confusion to the meaning of what is a Jew and who is a Jew especially since a woman is involved?

As to who is a Jew: A Jew is anyone who is born of a Jewish mother or converted halachally to Judaism.

As to what is a Jew: A Jew is a person, who follows Judaism.

In all the movements of Judaism Jewish women teach. In Orthodoxy there are no women rabbis. Although this is changing since Rabbi Sara Hurwitz became the first orthodox woman Rabbi. There are already women rabbis in the other movements.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,038,223 times
Pup Elil is just uttering gibberish, in case anyone else hasn't noticed.
He's playing semantic word games, or is unaware that he is doing so - though I doubt it. In the end - he said he doesn't need any answers from us: he can "get them from a higher power", in his own words. I doubt he's being sincere in his "questions", despite the deceptively polite disclaimer at the end of each post: "That's my thoughts on this matter".

Amy-Jill Levine's status in Pup Eli's made-up Jewish World-View is far less interesting than the book she worked on, and I'd rather discuss that, personally. If Pup Eli wishes to turn this into the weird thread he has been working on, I don't think we'll learn anything more about the actual book.
Has anyone read this work yet?

Oh, sorry - I forgot: Those are just my thoughts on thsi matter.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:09 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,038,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
There are many Women rabbis and they are in all the movements except orthodox. Judaism has many different movements, not only orthodoxy.

Yes, that's right. Women are, once again, taking a more prominent role in Judeo-Christian groups and this has been a long time coming. In fact, in the academic side, feminist approaches to religion and the Bible have been growing in number and popularity. One of my favorites is the commentary on the Torah by Ellen Frankel: The Five Books of Miriam - A Woman's Commentary on the Torah. It has some fascinating insights, told in a typical Mishnaic manner (if that's the correct term for the format of the work, with multiple voices all holding forth on single topics, or when that particular voice is most appropriate).

After the initial onset of feminist Biblical interpretation - which attacked the Bible for it's reputation as an enemy of women, many Biblical scholars started approaching scripture by focusing on female characters - but not to criticize, as was previously done in the initial growth of feminist Biblical scholarship. This has resulted in some exaggerations of the role of the paticular female characters in the Bible, but that's okay - it's resulted in slowly bringing a more even perspective of women in the Bible, and their role in antiquity. Feminist biblical scholarship is no longer an embittered attack, but healthily examins the very important role many women played in the Biblical "Narrative". As a side note - the Catholic Church long ago realized the importance of the female aspect of divinity that had been lost when the Yahweh-Alone movement had started, and perhaps Asherah became replaced with the Virgin Mary in the minds and hearts of believers.

My intention in my post was not to deny this or gloss over it - I just wanted to disabuse Pup Eli of his strange notions (in the quickest and most concise way possible - which is usually difficult for me heh heh) before they grew into....well, what this thread has grown into lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism