Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:13 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times

Advertisements

Someone in the Utah forum posted, semi-complaining, and wanting to know why so many stores were closed on Sunday in the state. The answer, I believe is two-fold. First, some of the business owners believe it is wrong to engage in commerce on the Sabbath. Second, if enough of a majority of the population does not shop on Sundays, then it is not profitable for businesses to be open, even if the owners themselves would like to. That’s not just common in Utah, but in parts of the South as I understand it.

To me keeping the Sabbath Holy means trying to set aside one day to serve God. It means resting from typical labor, and also from everyday distractions. I am better in some regards than in others. For example, I used to watch football on Sundays, but gave it up because I didn’t think it was in keeping with the spirit of the day. But I still find myself doing “worldly” things like paying bills sometimes.

I know definitions vary. This can be within religions. This last Sunday, we were over at a relative’s house, who are of the same religion. They put on an animated movie for the kids, which we don’t do at our house. This can also be different among religions. When I was growing up, I was taught not to play sports on Sunday. But sometimes my Baptist friends would call me up after their worship service, and invite me to the gym to play basketball with them … and with their pastor. So obviously in their religion, playing sports was keeping with the spirit of the day.

So all this got me wondering … what are some of your beliefs regarding the fourth commandment? What does it mean to keep the Sabbath Day holy? What can you, and what can you not do to keep the spirit of this commandment? What are some effects on society, now that a good portion of the population treats this as any other day for recreation, work, shopping etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 02:27 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,567 times
Closing liquor stores on sunday is a violation of the establishment clause.

Controlling my rights to purchase what I am legally allowed to purchase, to appease the religious beliefs of others is illegal, unethical and undemocratic.

That being said, I'm an Atheist, and I've never touched a drop of alcohol in my life.... that being said, I don't want religion limiting my rights to do so as I choose.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post

Controlling my rights to purchase what I am legally allowed to purchase, to appease the religious beliefs of others is illegal, unethical and undemocratic.

That being said, I'm an Atheist, and I've never touched a drop of alcohol in my life.... that being said, I don't want religion limiting my rights to do so as I choose.
well then..the WHOLE state of AR violates the clause

Old 08-28-2007, 03:05 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
Quote:

True … but nothing stops a business owner from choosing to close on Sunday.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:15 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,599 times
I must admit that I'm pretty laid back on the "rules" about the sabbath. I tend to think of it as a "resting" day. (On the 7th day God rested.) I try to do all of my housework and laundry on Saturday so it doesn't stress me out on Sunday. My Sunday always starts out with church. Then in the afternoons I usually scrapbook, sew or read. I do allow my kids to play outside. I have to admit, we do watch movies on Sunday evenings sometimes. I know that not all of my activities cause me to reflect on God, but I do things that I may not be able to do during the hectic work week. Overall, I'm thankful for the day that is set aside for rest.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:57 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
Smile Can't believe I mistakenly deleted my reply!!! Aaargh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Someone in the Utah forum posted, semi-complaining, and wanting to know why so many stores were closed on Sunday in the state. The answer, I believe is two-fold. First, some of the business owners believe it is wrong to engage in commerce on the Sabbath. Second, if enough of a majority of the population does not shop on Sundays, then it is not profitable for businesses to be open, even if the owners themselves would like to. That’s not just common in Utah, but in parts of the South as I understand it.

To me keeping the Sabbath Holy means trying to set aside one day to serve God. It means resting from typical labor, and also from everyday distractions. I am better in some regards than in others. For example, I used to watch football on Sundays, but gave it up because I didn’t think it was in keeping with the spirit of the day. But I still find myself doing “worldly” things like paying bills sometimes.

I know definitions vary. This can be within religions. This last Sunday, we were over at a relative’s house, who are of the same religion. They put on an animated movie for the kids, which we don’t do at our house. This can also be different among religions. When I was growing up, I was taught not to play sports on Sunday. But sometimes my Baptist friends would call me up after their worship service, and invite me to the gym to play basketball with them … and with their pastor. So obviously in their religion, playing sports was keeping with the spirit of the day.

So all this got me wondering … what are some of your beliefs regarding the fourth commandment? What does it mean to keep the Sabbath Day holy? What can you, and what can you not do to keep the spirit of this commandment? What are some effects on society, now that a good portion of the population treats this as any other day for recreation, work, shopping etc.?
I will have to come back to this, I had it all typed up to the best of my
ability, I'm a one/two-fingered typer. takes me forever, and I deleted my
post by mistakes! "Schucks".
Yes The Sabbath is two days for me, well Saturday I observe the Shabbat
and Sunday I observe it as my Holy Day". go to church etc. and try not to
do things that God doesn't get the glory in. But I'm also trying to do this on a
daily basis.. Back to the thread.... Well a lot of people here are still fighting over whether to keep the Blue Laws or not. Since all of the Christians here
have to work and are hardly given a chance to attend Sunday worship service
But the loophole is that the people that are fighting the most are Law abiding
citizens and the majority are Christians that need all of the restaurants/food
joints to open by 1:00, so they can dine as soon as they get out of church.
The issue with alcohol sales is not half as bad as "Christians fighting for these
eating places. So most of the youth need to work and head of households, so
most of them don't get attend church services for two to three months
consecutively... I think that is awful. I try to eat in on these days, because
it is a family tradition to have prepared food at home and fellowship and even
invite, other members or new converts, homeless to eat with us..
As far as watching a bunch of nonsense on television, i don't personally
I don't want it in my psyche", but I know others that go home and watch
some of anything... I don't have to look at it, and my minister/teacher is
trying very hard to teach that you shouldn't look at all of the violence,sex
etc. on the Sabbath, let alone the other days, on the principles of the Word
of God, " as a man thinketh in his heart so is he" Prov. can't think of the chapter
right now. But Norman Vincent Peale also quoted it in His Think and Grow Rich
book that I read in the early 70's. But I try to keep it Holy without stepping
on anyone's toes that choose to do otherwise..

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 08-28-2007 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 08-28-2007, 08:57 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I haven't read any of the other posts, so pardon me if I'm repetitive .

I was always raised that it meant no work, rest, reflection and worship. As for me and mine, we try our best to keep it holy, but can't always succeed. We attend church. We'll do something together as a family, like a game or picnic. We'll visit relatives. We try to keep it simple. I might do some odds and ends around the house, but I listen to Christian music, so is that okay? We try not to watch TV or movies, unless they're edifying (if that makes any sense).

Personally, I think it would be good to go back to the days when everyone knew they would be off work that one day and could enjoy time with their families. I know other families do this during the week now, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way, especially with two income households. But if the majority of people would avoid shopping and such on Sunday, businesses would close because it wouldn't be profitable. So, society has done this to ourselves. We go, so they are open.

I also understand there are jobs where it's necessary for people to work on Sunday, like doctors and nurses. But even Jesus healed on the Sabbath

Old 08-28-2007, 09:06 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
well then..the WHOLE state of AR violates the clause
And the entire Commonwealth of PA Also, we have special state liquor stores so you can only buy the hard stuff at a certain, state controlled locations and beer at licensed distributors. We don't have alcohol in places like convenience stores or grocery stores. However, that said, they are just starting this year with a pilot program where a select state stores are opening on Sundays -- to a somewhat large grumble of protest -- because we were losing sales to border states. Go figure.

This wasn't brought on because people complained about the stores being closed on Sunday, it was brought about by greed because the state was losing sales to other states. And I don't see where this is an violation of the establishment clause. The state controls the stores, not the churches or the people, and the state determined hours of operation. Apparently they're just catching up with the times is all. Everyone else is open so why not them is their mindset.

Last edited by mams1559; 08-28-2007 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-28-2007, 09:43 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,278 times
Quote:

Have you heard of Blue Law?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
However, that said, they are just starting this year with a pilot program where a select state stores are opening on Sundays -- to a somewhat large grumble of protest -- because we were losing sales to border states. Go figure.
Is that why when you drive through PA there are all those "BEWARE OF DRUNK DRIVERS" signs along the highway?

As for how we honor the sabbath...well it depends...we go to church on Saturday or Sunday depending on our schedules for the weekend, we fit in some family time, we do dog rescue work and we do other volunteer work...all on the weekends because during the week is too busy. I really like to go to church as a complete family and when I work (PRN) I always take weekend shifts..because that way I am always available to the kids during the week. I think God is ok with that because one of His most precious gifts to me were my children and I think He's happy that I arrange my time around their needs. I also think anyone who can't be home in reflection and rest on the sabbath for valid reasons such as supporting their family is also fine with God...I think he knows the world we live in. I think as long as you spend the majority of your time striving to live as you think Jesus would have then you are honoring the sabbath (which is honoring God) every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism