Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times

Advertisements

theres even a conservative hecksher (NOT magen tzedek, but an actual kosher certification - a local initiative of a rabbi in Michigan)

Kosher Michigan - Kosher Certification By Rabbi Jason Miller (http://koshermichigan.com/default.aspx - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 11:50 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
a cheaper or more convenient hashgacha - the local rabbi may really be doing it to assure his shul a supply of cookies for kiddush, and he might do it for free or almost for free. And there may be no O rabbi in the area. Which also means no O customers. Unlike a restaurant, the demand is not from the small number of strictly kosher observant C jews - but from the synagogues for their functions - including EVERY oneg and kiddush, social events, etc, etc.

Im also not sure every O jew would pass it up - IF they checked and were sure that there were no differences at issue between their particular approach to kashrut and what the rabbi was enforcing. How often do swordfish, cheese, wine, the ability to kasher pyrex, etc, come up in a bakery?
You've never had chocolate chip swordfish cookies?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,362,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
flip

the word i was looking for - mehadrin.

To enforce or follow a stricter standard than one's personal hashkaha requires. This is SUCH a common approach, we actually have a word for it.

your thoughts?
I know this is a hot button in some less obeservant communities - as I think it's used to justify feeling ok about making decisions that "stricter interpreting Jews" will not. If I'm going to teeter one way or the other, it's towards being strict.

I just had a long talk with a BT friend of mine who just bought a house. The rabbi from the local Vaad told him his dishwasher could be kashered. This guy is holding in about the same place as me hashkofically (although he's far more talented in learning Gamara than me). But he made one critical mistake. He asked for advice from the head of the Vaad instead of asking a shaila of his own Rav (same as mine). I know our Rav would have told him to replace the dishwasher (which incidentally would not have been a big financial hardship). Our Rav knows this man way better than the head of the Vaad.

Tough stuff sometimes. When he saw me "waver" at his decision, I reminded him that replacing the dishwasher is a chumra, and our Rav tells us not to take on a chumra unless it will give you a greater level of joy in performing the mitzvah. I'm sure my friend holds by chumras in areas i do not, and visa versa. I then wished my friend a Gut Shabbos, and I look forward to seeing him tonight at Kabbalah Shabbos sitting in his makom kevua, just to the left of me in shul.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:51 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,739 times
Flipflop, have you ever had buffalo meat? It has cloven hoof and chews its cud, so it's okay, right? It is very lean, making healthy, and has a sweet flavor. Delicious and good for you. If you can find some that has been slaughtered properly, you should get some. I have a freezer full...and not just because I'm an NDN!

Old 12-31-2011, 05:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Flipflop, have you ever had buffalo meat? It has cloven hoof and chews its cud, so it's okay, right?
Yes, according to Kashrut of Exotic Animals: The Buffalo, American buffalo, or bison, is kosher.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I know this is a hot button in some less obeservant communities - as I think it's used to justify feeling ok about making decisions that "stricter interpreting Jews" will not. If I'm going to teeter one way or the other, it's towards being strict.

I just had a long talk with a BT friend of mine who just bought a house. The rabbi from the local Vaad told him his dishwasher could be kashered. This guy is holding in about the same place as me hashkofically (although he's far more talented in learning Gamara than me). But he made one critical mistake. He asked for advice from the head of the Vaad instead of asking a shaila of his own Rav (same as mine). I know our Rav would have told him to replace the dishwasher (which incidentally would not have been a big financial hardship). Our Rav knows this man way better than the head of the Vaad.

Tough stuff sometimes. When he saw me "waver" at his decision, I reminded him that replacing the dishwasher is a chumra, and our Rav tells us not to take on a chumra unless it will give you a greater level of joy in performing the mitzvah. I'm sure my friend holds by chumras in areas i do not, and visa versa. I then wished my friend a Gut Shabbos, and I look forward to seeing him tonight at Kabbalah Shabbos sitting in his makom kevua, just to the left of me in shul.

but again, my point is NOT to argue that you or anyone else should be less machmir than you are.

My point though is that machmir jews have traditionally granted some legitimacy to less machmir degrees of observance, something I see denied by the refusal to eat at the home of one who is "one inch more lenient"

Its one thing to refuse to eat the very chicken you certify. Its quite another to refuse to eat a vegan meal at somesone's home BECAUSE they buy the chicken you certify.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:57 PM

671 posts, read 853,948 times
Who has not done this?

Old 11-13-2013, 04:51 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
Who has not done this?
Since this is a very old thread and has numerous tangents, who has done what?

Old 11-16-2013, 08:24 AM

76 posts, read 97,226 times
Some Jews do celebrate Christmas....

Interracial marriage among Jews is very high as well...

Old 11-16-2013, 08:10 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Cause they're the only restaurants open on Christmas.
That's what I always have heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
BBD, I didn't start wearing my yarmulke in public until I was fully shomer Shabbos, kosher, taharas hamishpaka, etc. And then it would be another 3-4 years before I wore my yarmulke to work.

When I dealt with a small (B'H") time of unemployment last year, my parents (close to their 70s in age) begged me with tears in their eyes not to interview for jobs with a yarmulke on my head. But I did not listen to them. I needed unending chizuk from my wife and my rav, but in the end, it all worked out. And now I'm the only frum yid with a yarmulke in a building with perhaps 400 people in it. But I try to always be on the up-and-up. No swearing. No lack of tznius (modesty). I try to dress nicely. So the yarmulke has become a source of Kiddush Hashem (praising G-d's name), even if there are times when I feel just a bit less than 100% comfortable (like when women try to shake my hand when we greet).
You mean if a woman holds her hand out to shake yours, you refuse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism