Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 04:59 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,726,786 times

Advertisements

Mazel Tov!

Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,346,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Congratulations on your new baby boy
I'm up nice and early to finish preparations on my son's Bris Milah this morning.

I'll let Walter explain why I'd want to get this mitzvah done first thing in the morning.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:47 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,596,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
;) I'll let Walter explain why I'd want to get this mitzvah done first thing in the morning.
So you can have the Bris Milah in the synagogue, as part of the Shacharit (morning) service.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
So you can have the Bris Milah in the synagogue, as part of the Shacharit (morning) service.
We actually held the Bris in my home right after Shacharis. The idea is when a Jew has a time-bound mitzvah (Torah commandment), like to give your son a Bris milah, one should not delay. One should always "run" to do a mitzvah.

We see the perfect example of this in the Torah, when Hashem told Abraham to shecht (cut with a knife) his sone Isaac, and Abraham woke up early the next morning and saddled his own donkey to get moving to do that mitzvah (of killing his son) as quickly as possible.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:23 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,447,316 times
Flip, please know that I ask this question with the heart of a mother (one son, three daughters, six grandsons, 3 grand daughters and one great grandson.)

Do you use any sort of pain relief such as a topical anesthetic so the baby does not feel the pain?

Old 01-16-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Flip, please know that I ask this question with the heart of a mother (one son, three daughters, six grandsons, 3 grand daughters and one great grandson.)

Do you use any sort of pain relief such as a topical anesthetic so the baby does not feel the pain?
It's a fair question. We Orthodox Jews do not use topical anesthetic when performing a Bris. My understanding is that the child's nerve endings at the tip of his penis simply are not well formed enough that the pain last more than a few seconds, if at all. I've never seen a bay boy cry more than 5 or 10 seconds after it's performed, and I've never met a Jewish toddler (or adult for that matter) who could say he remembered his bris and how painful it might have been.

And btw, kenina hora on your big beautiful extended family.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 PM

88,222 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
We actually held the Bris in my home right after Shacharis. The idea is when a Jew has a time-bound mitzvah (Torah commandment), like to give your son a Bris milah, one should not delay. One should always "run" to do a mitzvah.

We see the perfect example of this in the Torah, when Hashem told Abraham to shecht (cut with a knife) his sone Isaac, and Abraham woke up early the next morning and saddled his own donkey to get moving to do that mitzvah (of killing his son) as quickly as possible.
This is interesting, and I have never noticed or heard of this aspect of your religion or the story itself before.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is interesting, and I have never noticed or heard of this aspect of your religion or the story itself before.
Abraham and Isaac took a three day journey to "do the deed." They took with them Abraham"s other son Ishmael, as well as Abraham's faithful Canaani servant, Eliezer. When they approached the place that Hashem told Abraham through prophesy where to do the shechting (the mount of Olives - the same place where eventually Moses would see the burning bush, where Jacob would spend a night and see "Jacob's ladder," and eventually King Shlomo Hamelech would build the first Holy Temple (the second as well), and the same place where Jews go today to pray to the Kosel (The Western Wall), Abraham then told Ishmael and Eliezer to remain with the donkey, and Abraham and Isaac walked the remaining few hundred yards to "the spot."

What's fasciniating, is that in these last few hundred yards is where Isaac figured out what was going to happen. He knew they were going to this spot to perform a sacrifice, and he knew they had no ram with them with which to do the sacrifice. Isaac did not resist. He even suggested to his father that he tie him up so that he would not flinch at the critical moment and invalidate the sacrifice by preventing Abraham from getting a clean cut. Some say THAT is the greater mitzvah vs. his father's mitzvah of agreeing to shecht his son.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I am curious Walter, How do Jews view the Salvation of non Jews? Is Gods Salvation for Jews only?
The question above came from another thread, but I thought this would be an appropriate place to address it.

The word "salvation" is a common one for Chrstians to use - but it's not really a Jewish concept. Jews do not believe people are born needing salvation. We're all born essentially perfect, and it's only through the actions we do in our lives that this perfection is endangered.

A more Jewish way of posing your question (I'm pretty sre this is what you are getting at), is: "Who gets a share in the World to Come?" The answer to this question, is anybody who leads a good life will gain a share. It's not required to be Jewish. it's not required to be religious. It's likely not even required to believe in G-d or the afterlife. The only requirement is that your deeds are good, and then the sum of these deeds are what you are "judged on." Faith is nice, but anybody can have faith, but in the absense of good actions, it means nothing.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:36 AM

22,634 posts, read 14,886,015 times
It is my understanding that "punishment" for evil-doers is a state called "Gehenna" (which may refer to a 'valley of refuse and ashes' just outside Jerusalem: the Hinnom Valley) ... but all are redeemed after a finite period and are gathered into the kingdom of G-d.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism