Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 09:44 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I read some this morning, the intros, about Ramban...
Go to the Chabad website. Their Rashi translation is not too bad.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:30 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,351 times
Quote:
Chava is a metaphor for the earth while Adam is a metaphor for G-d, our Father...Thow shalt respect your Mother and your Father...Mankind has disrespected both...
Is it possible to get a clearly defined answer to this Q:

The story of Adam and Eve...is this regarded as being a literal event or a metaphorical myth?

Does the story come from Hebrew tradition and is it regarded as being a factual account of 'how G()D did things' or a metaphorical myth, used to explain ideas 'simplistically' that otherwise would fly over the heads of the listeners?

Old 05-09-2015, 06:37 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post

The story of Adam and Eve...is this regarded as being a literal event or a metaphorical myth?

Does the story come from Hebrew tradition and is it regarded as being a factual account of 'how G()D did things' or a metaphorical myth, used to explain ideas 'simplistically' that otherwise would fly over the heads of the listeners?
Of course it comes from "Hebrew tradition", and the answer is it is regarded as both a factual account and a metaphorical myth.

Many Jews, both today and throughout history, have regarded Bresheet (a.k.a. Genesis) as a literal retelling of God's actions regarding the creation of the world and all that lives on it.

Many Jews, including some of our wisest rabbis (such Maimonides, Abraham Joshua Heschel, and Rashi), see the Creation myth as allegory. It holds tremendous teaching and symbolism, but it is not a scientific text to be taken literally; Maimonides (and many sages that came before him) taught that if our understanding of Scripture was in conflict with science or reason, then it was likely that our understanding was flawed.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:12 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
Quote:
I found this interesting...

Leonard Albert Kravitz was born in Manhattan, New York on May 26, 1964. He is the son of Roxie Roker, an actress known for her character Helen Willis in the 1970s hit television sitcom The Jeffersons, and Sy Kravitz, an NBC television news producer. His father was from a Russian Jewish family (with origins from Ukraine). His mother was of Afro-Bahamian and African-American descent, and was from a Christian family. Kravitz is the second cousin of television weather presenter Al Roker. During his early years, Kravitz did not grow up in a religious environment. After a spiritual experience when he was 13, he started attending church, becoming a non-denominational Christian.

In 1985, Kravitz's parents divorced, which had a profound impact on him. His relationship with his father became extremely strained.[31] Kravitz focused on his music to help him get through this period. That year, Kravitz met actress Lisa Bonet backstage at a New Edition concert. Bonet worked on The Cosby Show, the number one rated show on television. They were close friends for two years before falling in love. Like Kravitz, Bonet is half African American and half Russian Jewish. Kravitz moved back to New York City where The Cosby Show was produced in 1987, moving in with then girlfriend Bonet.

I did not know this about Lisa Bonet...Interesting...Didn't know it about Lenny Kravitz either...

Kravitz and Bonet eloped to be married on November 16, 1987, her 20th birthday, in a Las Vegas ceremony. Kravitz, still known as Romeo Blue at the time, suddenly found himself in the headlines of tabloid newspapers. They had a daughter, Zoë Isabella Kravitz, born on December 1, 1988, who became an actress, singer, and model. Kravitz and Bonet divorced in 1993.

He then dated French singer and actress Vanessa Paradis until 1997. In 2001, he began dating model Adriana Lima. In 2002, the couple was engaged, but less than a year later, the engagement was called off. Kravitz identifies himself as a Christian in a religious sense, "through choice but I'm also a Jew, it's all the same to me". During another interview Kravitz stated, "I'm half Jewish, I'm half black, I look in-between." He also notes that spirituality "has been an important issue in my growth", given his upbringing by parents of different faiths. Such spirituality is prominently featured in many of his songs, such as the lyrics on his album Baptism, and having his back inscribed with a tattoo stating, "My Heart Belongs to Jesus Christ." As late as 2011, Kravitz stated that his 2005 religious commitment to remain celibate until remarriage was unchanged.

I knew about Lenny and Lisa, and how they were both part Jewish. I keep up with the movie stars, and people in the limelight. It's a shame they didn't stay together, but that lifestyle in the lime light is tough. Then again, not everyone stays together nowadays unfortunately.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:56 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I knew about Lenny and Lisa, and how they were both part Jewish. I keep up with the movie stars, and people in the limelight. It's a shame they didn't stay together, but that lifestyle in the lime light is tough. Then again, not everyone stays together nowadays unfortunately.
Sounds like a song I heard once...

Old 05-09-2015, 10:58 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Go to the Chabad website. Their Rashi translation is not too bad.
I know...I've read some of it...Is there anything wrong with the Artscroll translation?...I have the interlinear...

Old 05-09-2015, 11:22 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post

a factual account of 'how G()D did things' or a metaphorical myth, used to explain ideas 'simplistically' that otherwise would fly over the heads of the listeners?
everything in the Torah has layer upon layer upon layer of meaning.
to limit it to "literal" or "metaphorical" is to limit G-d and G-d is infinite.
for instance, there is a book with 70 chapters written on just the first word of the Torah.

for instance one way of reading Torah is that everything written in it is describing you and your life and your inner world.

it is that beautiful, rich, deep, and engaging
it is a love letter from G-d, so of course a person never gets tired of reading it over and over

Old 05-10-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I know...I've read some of it...Is there anything wrong with the Artscroll translation?...I have the interlinear...
Don't know. I can read with understanding. Reminder: Even though I'm US born my first languages were Hebrew/Aramaic and not English. My Hasidic Dynasty was Hebrew based and not Yiddish. So English came at the K level followed by Yiddish (street language to UO Jews). Picked up Arabic through the years as I met Mizrahi relatives through the years in Israel.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:30 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Don't know. I can read with understanding. Reminder: Even though I'm US born my first languages were Hebrew/Aramaic and not English. My Hasidic Dynasty was Hebrew based and not Yiddish. So English came at the K level followed by Yiddish (street language to UO Jews). Picked up Arabic through the years as I met Mizrahi relatives through the years in Israel.
This is kinda how I grew up but alittle different as I was born in Israel and was taught Biblical Hebrew and Yiddish first. Modern Hebrew came afterward. I didn't learn Arabic until I met my mother Mizrahi side of the family. English came later in my teens when we moved to the US for some years. Which dialect of Arabic did you pick up?

Old 05-10-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Dew View Post
This is kinda how I grew up but a little different as I was born in Israel and was taught Biblical Hebrew and Yiddish first. Modern Hebrew came afterward. I didn't learn Arabic until I met my mother Mizrahi side of the family. English came later in my teens when we moved to the US for some years. Which dialect of Arabic did you pick up?

Well first to me, Aramaic Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew are the same. My Israeli parents were agricultural landowners who originally lived to the East of Jerusalem but were forced out during the 1948 war and resettled in Bat Yam. My Arabic is Israeli Arabic or otherwise known as Levant Arabic. But I speak I few dialects due to working in the Arab countries east of Israel (primarily in Dubai).

Do I assume correctly that Tal is short for Naphtali?

Last edited by Pruzhany; 05-10-2015 at 06:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism