Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 09:12 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,851,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Somewhere in one of these many pages I remember someone saying something along the lines of "Satan wasn't in the garden of Eden".

If this is true. What is your take on who/what the "serpent" in the garden was?

Thank you for your time and looking forward to your reply.
Lots of different answers to that one.

First, you need to understand that Satan, as found in Christianity and Islam, is much different than ha satan found in Judaism. The fallen angel who rebelled and works against God to corrupt man doesn't exist in Judaism; satan is a job title that means "accuser" or "prosecutor". It is rolled filled an entity (angel, animal, or man) who challenges at God's direction.

When it comes to the snake, different rabbis teach different things. Some teach that it was just a snake, acting on its nature. Some teach that it is an allegory for our yetzer ha-ra, our base and animalistic side. And some teach it is was an entity sent by God to challenge man.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:13 PM

32,529 posts, read 21,830,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Lots of different answers to that one.

First, you need to understand that Satan, as found in Christianity and Islam, is much different than ha satan found in Judaism. The fallen angel who rebelled and works against God to corrupt man doesn't exist in Judaism; satan is a job title that means "accuser" or "prosecutor". It is rolled filled an entity (angel, animal, or man) who challenges at God's direction.

When it comes to the snake, different rabbis teach different things. Some teach that it was just a snake, acting on its nature. Some teach that it is an allegory for our yetzer ha-ra, our base and animalistic side. And some teach it is was an entity sent by God to challenge man.
I'm pretty certain that it was I that stated that...

Old 09-23-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
When it comes to the snake, different rabbis teach different things. Some teach that it was just a snake, acting on its nature.
Well, it does state that it was the cleverest of all the beasts of the field that HaShem had created...And as far as I understand, HaSatan was not a beast of the field, so logically it couldn't have been him...

Quote:
Some teach that it is an allegory for our yetzer ha-ra, our base and animalistic side.

I think MysticPHD would emphatically agree with you here...

Quote:
And some teach it is was an entity sent by God to challenge man.
Like the spirit sent to torture Saul?...

Old 09-23-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Here is what it states at the end of the page:

protected by Community♦ Jul 28 '14 at 15:16
Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:51 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,578,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.
Have you looked at the other religious forums on CD as some of their threads have from crossed from heavy discussion into the gray of hate threads (and some noteworthy of being Stormfront).

Last edited by Pruzhany; 09-24-2015 at 05:58 AM..

Old 09-24-2015, 05:40 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,243,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

Yes, that happens, and a self-moderated community has rules in place to ensure that the future participation meets community standards. Getting a 10 reputation is not that tough and it shows that you aren't setting up an account simply to troll an answer. It is a fine site and if your rep on it were higher, you would see the 4 deleted answers and see why they don't conform to the FAQ's regarding good answers.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Have you looked at the other religious forums on CD as some of their threads have from crossed from heavy discussion into the gray of hate threads (and some noteworthy of being Stormfront).
I try to avoid those types of forums, Chaver...

Old 09-26-2015, 04:54 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,414,955 times
Is this still the Ask a Jew thread or has it veered far away? I'm struggling with something and I guess looking for validation? I am not Jewish, my father was but mother was not. I was not in any way raised in the religion or any tradition. Recently a cousin by marriage has joined a messianic church. He's really into it and is posting messages about the high holidays, Yom Kippur being the most recent, of course. I know it shouldn't bother me, but it is. I'm wondering how Jewish folks of different denominations (Reform, Conservative, Orthodox) feel about this stuff. I'm personally finding it obnoxious and offensive. I don't respond to him, but every "Shana tova" (during Rosh Hashanah) made me cringe.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:56 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,869,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
posting messages about the high holidays
Are you referring to Facebook posts? If so, you can easily block them without having to 'officially' unfriend that person. My wife does this with several of her Facebook 'friends'.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:29 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,851,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Is this still the Ask a Jew thread or has it veered far away?
Yep, still that thread. And, yes, we do veer fairly often (we are Jews, after all ).

Quote:
I'm struggling with something and I guess looking for validation? I am not Jewish, my father was but mother was not. I was not in any way raised in the religion or any tradition. Recently a cousin by marriage has joined a messianic church. He's really into it and is posting messages about the high holidays, Yom Kippur being the most recent, of course. I know it shouldn't bother me, but it is. I'm wondering how Jewish folks of different denominations (Reform, Conservative, Orthodox) feel about this stuff. I'm personally finding it obnoxious and offensive. I don't respond to him, but every "Shana tova" (during Rosh Hashanah) made me cringe.
The only people I've seen lend much credence to "Messianics" are their fellow Christians.
I personally don't care if they celebrate Jewish holidays; if Christians want to "go back to their roots" and adopt the ancient holidays and add a touch of Hebrew to their services, it's their call. I just get upset when they try to claim that they're somehow practicing or are a part of Judaism.

As for other people using holiday greetings, I'm fine with it. I moved to New York a couple of months ago, and it seems like everyone and their brother knows which greetings go with each holiday. My boss emailed me on Erev Rosh haShannah to wish me a happy new year, my technicians respond with "Shabbat shalom" when I wish them a good weekend, and the cashier at the grocery store wished me an easy fast Tuesday afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.