Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 673 times

Advertisements

Hello friends,

I am considering signing up as a volunteer at a local Synagogue. I am not Jewish and don’t even believe in god. The reason I want to volunteer is networking. I am an immigrant of about 2 years who needs to get to know a community of smart and successful people. My intention is to get some advices or referrals or maybe even find a mentor.
If I became a volunteer as described above, would you consider it a bad tone or offensive in any way (because actually it’s not quite an altruism that motivates me. I am expecting to benefit from this too).
By the way, I am from a country (Georgia) which historically had very good relationships with Jewish community. I respect your history and I am fascinated with your will and ability to defend your country from so many enemies for so many years.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:02 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,253,478 times
Any time you volunteer, you are doing something good. But doing so with an ulterior motive (in any context) can come off as manipulative. Go in with the intent to help and not with any other goal.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:42 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,945,363 times
Has anyone seen HF around?...It just occurred to me that he hasn't been posting?...

Old 09-30-2015, 05:44 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,351,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Has anyone seen HF around?...It just occurred to me that he hasn't been posting?...
It's Succos right now, his favorite holiday. Maybe he doesn't post on chol hamoad.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:30 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,138,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Hey folks. In the discussions I've been having here at this forum, I've had many times where an answer I gave to a question led the thread down an alternate pathway than what the OP intended (sorry Mods, I'm not being bad on purpose). Somebody suggested I start a new thread called "Ask a Jew."

Who am I? I'm an Orthodox Jew living in a major city in America. Any views I present will be the views of a Torah Observant Jew - one who attempts to follow all 613 mitzvahs given in the Torah. I'm not a rabbi, but I learn Torah and Talmud every day of the week and have immersed myself in a life of Torah. There's no such thing as a person who knows "All" of the Torah, but for the purposes of this forum, I can give it a shot.

One quick thing, is I will not be online during the Jewish Sabbath (sundown Friday to sundown Saturday night). So if you ask a question during that time, perhaps one of the fellow non observant Jews on this site can answer.

Speaking of non-observant Jews, their answers will sometimes differ from mine. It doesn't make mine right and theirs wrong - just different views.

My friends, ask away...
Can I just decide to call myself a Jew and not hold to any of the teachings of Judaism?

Old 09-30-2015, 01:40 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,253,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Can I just decide to call myself a Jew and not hold to any of the teachings of Judaism?
That depends -- are you Jewish under Jewish law or are you just calling yourself that for kicks? Is your question whether a random person can arbitrarily call himself Jewish or is it whether a Jew can still call himself a Jew and yet not hold to the teachings?

Old 09-30-2015, 03:10 PM

22,011 posts, read 19,117,250 times
Quote:
if you are Jewish by birth or conversion, then yes you are still a Jew even if you do not hold to any teachings of Judaism and never set foot in a synagogue

if you are not Jewish by birth or conversion, then calling yourself a Jew does not make you one

also someone can go to synagogue every day and follow all the teachings and study Talmud daily and daven three times a day for 50 years, but they are not Jewish unless they convert or were born Jewish

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-30-2015 at 03:24 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 03:45 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,138,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
That depends -- are you Jewish under Jewish law or are you just calling yourself that for kicks? Is your question whether a random person can arbitrarily call himself Jewish or is it whether a Jew can still call himself a Jew and yet not hold to the teachings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if you are Jewish by birth or conversion, then yes you are still a Jew even if you do not hold to any teachings of Judaism and never set foot in a synagogue

if you are not Jewish by birth or conversion, then calling yourself a Jew does not make you one

also someone can go to synagogue every day and follow all the teachings and study Talmud daily and daven three times a day for 50 years, but they are not Jewish unless they convert or were born Jewish
So...who gets to decide if I'm a Jew or not?

Old 09-30-2015, 03:57 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,351,215 times
Quote:
The Torah decides.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:03 PM

22,011 posts, read 19,117,250 times
Quote:
Jewish law (halacha) specifies exactly what makes someone Jewish

it can be by birth, or through conversion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.