Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 05:57 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentosa712 View Post
Were was Solomon's temple built? 2 Chronicles 3:1 describes it being built on the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite. Elsewhere I have read that it was built on the spot where Abraham attempted to sacrifice Isaac. Are they the same location?
there are theories and many ideas. I'm not advocating a particular position, but you can start with this web site
The Location of the First and Second Temples

Old 03-05-2016, 07:58 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
QUESTION:

I am not Jewish. However, a Rabbi at a temple in my neighborhood has agreed to help me with a project I am working on. I will be meeting with him one time and hope to get some answers about my project and input from him.

I would like to bring him a gift as a thank you for his help. What should I bring? I was thinking a bottle of (kosher) wine and maybe cookies or something but I don't know what is an appropriate gift.

Any suggestions?
A small donation to his discretionary fund would work.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:55 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
A small donation to his discretionary fund would work.

I'd rather bring a gift. To me, money is just inappropriate.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:21 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:
I'd rather bring a gift. To me, money is just inappropriate.
Donating to a rabbi's discretionary fund is how we generally say "thank you" for services not directly charged for such as officiating at weddings, helping b'nei mitzvah get ready, etc.

They use the discretionary fund in various ways to help the community, from supporting charities to buying books for the library.

But, by all means, feel free to do as you wish.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:52 AM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
QUESTION: I would like to bring him a gift as a thank you for his help. What should I bring? I was thinking a bottle of (kosher) wine and maybe cookies or something but I don't know what is an appropriate gift.

Any suggestions?
i would stay away from food or wine altogether, because there are many dietary restrictions that you may not know about, even if something says it is "kosher" it many not be a type of kosher that is acceptable.

i agree with the suggestion from JB regarding donation to the synagogue. it may not "feel right to you" but the gift is not about you, it is about the person you are giving it to. you can even earmark it for an area of use that is close to your heart, such as books for the library, meals on wheels for home bound seniors, food bank, preschool, at-risk youth, hospital visits, something like that.

in Judaism, giving funds to help those in need is very very very highly regarded

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-06-2016 at 10:33 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 10:47 AM

9 posts, read 5,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Hey folks. In the discussions I've been having here at this forum, I've had many times where an answer I gave to a question led the thread down an alternate pathway than what the OP intended (sorry Mods, I'm not being bad on purpose). Somebody suggested I start a new thread called "Ask a Jew."

Who am I? I'm an Orthodox Jew living in a major city in America. Any views I present will be the views of a Torah Observant Jew - one who attempts to follow all 613 mitzvahs given in the Torah. I'm not a rabbi, but I learn Torah and Talmud every day of the week and have immersed myself in a life of Torah. There's no such thing as a person who knows "All" of the Torah, but for the purposes of this forum, I can give it a shot.

One quick thing, is I will not be online during the Jewish Sabbath (sundown Friday to sundown Saturday night). So if you ask a question during that time, perhaps one of the fellow non observant Jews on this site can answer.

Speaking of non-observant Jews, their answers will sometimes differ from mine. It doesn't make mine right and theirs wrong - just different views.

My friends, ask away...

Hi i have some Jewish background in my blood and I was wondering about this verse in the book of Isaiah in the Tanakh

Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
Isaiah 7:14

Doesn't that sounds like the story Joshua of Nazareth?

What you think?

Old 03-07-2016, 11:09 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judypena30 View Post
Hi i have some Jewish background in my blood and I was wondering about this verse in the book of Isaiah in the Tanakh

Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.

What you think?
No...Because the word that the KJV translated as "virgin" actually merely means "young lady" and not "virgin"...

Isaiah 7:

14.Therefore, the Lord, of His own, shall give you a sign; behold, the young woman is with child, and she shall bear a son, and she shall call his name Immanuel.

It is impossible that you got that from the Tanakh, because that is not what the Tanakh says at Isaiah 7:14...I think that you are being dishonest and attempting to start a discussion that you will steer into proselytizing...Besides, he was never named or called Immanuel...And if you read further you will find this:

Isaiah 7:

15.Cream and honey he shall eat when he knows to reject bad and choose good.

16.For, when the lad does not yet know to reject bad and choose good, the land whose two kings you dread, shall be abandoned."

If your Jesus was originally born of a virgin through the Ruach HaKodesh, which would make him divine, then, Isaiah 7:14 is not referring to him, because it states that a "young woman" is [currently] with child, at the time of the prophecy AND it also states that he will be educated and LEARN to reject bad and choose good, if Jesus is who you claim him to be, he would not have to learn anything because he would already know it from the womb...

So, again...I don't think that you were wondering anything...You have an agenda...

Old 03-07-2016, 11:32 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judypena30 View Post

What you think?
I'm not sure who Joshua of Nazareth is, but if you go back to the Hebrew, you will see that the Hebrew word translated as "virgin: in your text simply means "young woman" and the tense is in the past tense, not the future tense. I also would have to ask why you think a statement about someone named "Immanuel" would have anything to do with someone you said was named "Joshua."

Old 03-07-2016, 07:44 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

in Judaism, giving funds to help those in need is very very very highly regarded

How much money is appropriate?

Old 03-07-2016, 08:23 PM

9 posts, read 5,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
No...Because the word that the KJV translated as "virgin" actually merely means "young lady" and not "virgin"...

Isaiah 7:

14.Therefore, the Lord, of His own, shall give you a sign; behold, the young woman is with child, and she shall bear a son, and she shall call his name Immanuel.

It is impossible that you got that from the Tanakh, because that is not what the Tanakh says at Isaiah 7:14...I think that you are being dishonest and attempting to start a discussion that you will steer into proselytizing...Besides, he was never named or called Immanuel...And if you read further you will find this:

Isaiah 7:

15.Cream and honey he shall eat when he knows to reject bad and choose good.

16.For, when the lad does not yet know to reject bad and choose good, the land whose two kings you dread, shall be abandoned."

If your Jesus was originally born of a virgin through the Ruach HaKodesh, which would make him divine, then, Isaiah 7:14 is not referring to him, because it states that a "young woman" is [currently] with child, at the time of the prophecy AND it also states that he will be educated and LEARN to reject bad and choose good, if Jesus is who you claim him to be, he would not have to learn anything because he would already know it from the womb...

So, again...I don't think that you were wondering anything...You have an agenda...
Its both wondering and agenda. Not to fair to say since tanakh seems to have verses ahead then from an old testament or old covenant. The Ruach does the converting not me lol. Because one thing i did notice is that if the Ruach doesn't reveal something or change something in me I dont really get it. Get it. Did u ever read tehillim 22:7,15,19

It wont hurt to read psalm 110:1 why would King David say word of Hashem to my master"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism