Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 05:50 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 28 days ago)

34,605 posts, read 16,671,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The 9th is actually ON Shabbat so it is pushed off to the 10th (Sunday). The 17th of Tammuz was likewise pushed to Sunday 3 weeks ago.

9th of Av on Shabbat - Torah Musings
I know. I'm going to read link, and thanks.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:48 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,002,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
It's not just the quotes that are the problem. The bigger problem is reading posting and promoting the views of white supremacist on a Judaism forum. That is offensive insulting virulent hate-filled and totally unnecessary. Please do some basic web search before posting stuff like this. You have the computer skills and unless your desire is to offend and insult Jews these links and posts need to not be promoted on a Judaism site. Ignorance is not an excuse. Asking other people to do your research is not an excuse. Because posting conspiracy theories and white supremacist posts and views show a marked lack of concern for Judaism and Jews.

It also raises the additional question of why you are reading about white supremacists and conspiracy theories instead of studying the Torah and learning Torah.
My opinion is Richard is performing a public service by letting people know such trash exists and is being published. To recognize an enemy is the major part of keeping him from defeating you. Richard is giving a warning and not promoting nor approving the book. Simple question, has anyone here read it? If so perhaps they can give advice on how to respond to those who believe the book is true.

If I even suspected Richard was promoting the book, his post would never have been seen by any members However, I am going to edit his post and put in the left out quotation marks.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:20 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,911,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It is a very recent book. I believe first printed in 2010 and just now becoming widely distributed. I have not read it and do not intend to. It is part of an expanding anti-Semitic tirade and up to 4 or 5 volumes.

I think it is good for Jews to know such trash continues to be printed, but I doubt it is of any value for anyone to read. Can only be of any interest to those who hate Jews and Judaism.
Sometimes it is important to know what your enemy thinks...

Old 08-14-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Stop being such a nudnik. You should be fasting like many of us. So stop kvetching.
Love you too, bubela...

Old 08-14-2016, 07:28 PM

21,951 posts, read 19,076,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Sometimes it is important to know what your enemy thinks...
And even more important for a Jew is to study Torah learn Torah and put into practice what Torah instructs us. That is a far better use of our time our thought our speech and our action.

Exodus 14:14. "The LORD will fight for you, and you shall remain silent."

Also what you focus on you become. Focus on hate and we become that. Focus on living a Jewish life [Torah study, prayer, mitzvot, acts of kindness] and we become that.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-14-2016 at 07:46 PM..

Old 08-14-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
My opinion is Richard is performing a public service by letting people know such trash exists and is being published. To recognize an enemy is the major part of keeping him from defeating you. Richard is giving a warning and not promoting nor approving the book. Simple question, has anyone here read it? If so perhaps they can give advice on how to respond to those who believe the book is true.

If I even suspected Richard was promoting the book, his post would never have been seen by any members However, I am going to edit his post and put in the left out quotation marks.
Thanks, Woodrow...Knowing how your enemy thinks is a good way of defeating the hate that they are trying to spread...I can't believe stuff like that can even get published...You're correct, I wasn't promoting it...

Old 08-14-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Now go out and lalkot yourself after sundown.
I gotta go to work after sundown...

Old 08-14-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I gotta go to work after sundown...
I thought this was one holiday on which you could work.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:56 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,629,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I thought this was one holiday on which you could work.
Holidays are from sundown to sundown and not midnight to midnight.

The restrictions on Tisha B'Av are similar to those on Yom Kippur: to refrain from eating and drinking (even water); washing, bathing, shaving or wearing cosmetics; wearing leather shoes; and engaging in sexual relations. Work in the ordinary sense of the word is also restricted. People who are ill need not fast on this day. Many of the traditional mourning practices are observed: people refrain from smiles, laughter and idle conversation, and sit on low stools.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Holidays are from sundown to sundown and not midnight to midnight.

The restrictions on Tisha B'Av are similar to those on Yom Kippur: to refrain from eating and drinking (even water); washing, bathing, shaving or wearing cosmetics; wearing leather shoes; and engaging in sexual relations. Work in the ordinary sense of the word is also restricted. People who are ill need not fast on this day. Many of the traditional mourning practices are observed: people refrain from smiles, laughter and idle conversation, and sit on low stools.
This was explained differently at a different Orthodox synagogue. They said that it is indeed a food/water fast. Work, they say, is not restricted.

I will admit to being skeptical of the fact that water was served today at an event at a Conservative synagogue. While I personally do not fast (except on Yom Kippur) I had no plan of importing a bottle of Poland Spring water, despite the 94 degree heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism