Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 03:59 PM

646 posts, read 461,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Thanks for the replies so far.

Ok...so if there is no hell, and say someone did not abide by the 7 or 600+ laws/rules...what happens? They are just dead, or they linger around in purgatory, or they have to atone for what they did in this other world...what do Jews think happens to those who did not fulfill the expectations? And that includes both Jews and non Jews.
There is a place that is like a laundromat where the souls are cleansed depending on how "well you did." After 12 months tops, you are done. Then, well, opinions on the afterlife vary. IMO, after spending some great time in the higher realms you get reincarnated until you have learned all lessons but others might disagree. It's a concept of Jewish mysticism.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:08 PM

21,873 posts, read 19,025,888 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far. Ok...so if there is no hell, and say someone did not abide by the 7 or 600+ laws/rules...what happens? They are just dead, or they linger around in purgatory, or they have to atone for what they did in this other world...what do Jews think happens to those who did not fulfill the expectations? And that includes both Jews and non Jews.
reincarnation is seen in Judaism as a way to keep doing it until we get it right, until we rectify the portion of this world and our own soul that we came here to rectify. Some say for a Jew we keep coming back until we do fulfill all 613 of the commandments. For a non-Jew until all 7 of the universal laws are fulfilled. Progress is always kept and retained from life time to life time. It is why for instance a child may die at a young age, G*d forbid, because they only had a small portion left to accomplish. That is a single example, not a blanket explanation.

Learning and service to G*d continues in the after life. We continue to help others on earth from our vantage in the celestial realms.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-23-2017 at 05:01 PM..

Old 01-23-2017, 05:23 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,583,932 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far.

Ok...so if there is no hell, and say someone did not abide by the 7 or 600+ laws/rules...what happens? They are just dead, or they linger around in purgatory, or they have to atone for what they did in this other world...what do Jews think happens to those who did not fulfill the expectations? And that includes both Jews and non Jews.

Afterlife in Judaism
Judaism 101: Olam Ha-Ba: The Afterlife

Old 01-24-2017, 02:26 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,978,430 times
Hello to all our Jewish brothers. I am an eastern orthodox christian and I want to make you a question. What exactly is Shekinah? I want a description of what is this doctrine because I am confused with the articles I have found on Net.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:32 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,244,549 times
trying to understand the nature of one of the terms for/aspects of God is complicated. Most of the websites jump to an understanding of a mystical concept because they assume that people have a baseline appreciation of the standard Judaic notion of God.

Here is one resource
Judaism 101: The Nature of G-d,

"Although we usually speak of G-d in masculine terms, there are times when we refer to G-d using feminine terms. The Shechinah, the manifestation of G-d's presence that fills the universe, is conceived of in feminine terms, and the word Shechinah is a feminine word. "

Trying to get a sense of what, theologically, the import is of a deeper mystical concept is might not be a fruitful exercise because the notion of shechina is not a doctrinal element.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:52 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,978,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
trying to understand the nature of one of the terms for/aspects of God is complicated. Most of the websites jump to an understanding of a mystical concept because they assume that people have a baseline appreciation of the standard Judaic notion of God.

Here is one resource
Judaism 101: The Nature of G-d,

"Although we usually speak of G-d in masculine terms, there are times when we refer to G-d using feminine terms. The Shechinah, the manifestation of G-d's presence that fills the universe, is conceived of in feminine terms, and the word Shechinah is a feminine word. "

Trying to get a sense of what, theologically, the import is of a deeper mystical concept is might not be a fruitful exercise because the notion of shechina is not a doctrinal element.
Thanks for your answers! I was just curious because I read about Shekinah many times and I read in Jewish Encyclopedia that Shekinah was at M. Sinai, Shekinah appeared to the prophets etc. Is Shekinah identified in Judaism with that angel of the Lord that appeared to prophet Moses?
I really admire and like Hassidic philosophy and I search about it.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:32 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,244,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
Thanks for your answers! I was just curious because I read about Shekinah many times and I read in Jewish Encyclopedia that Shekinah was at M. Sinai, Shekinah appeared to the prophets etc. Is Shekinah identified in Judaism with that angel of the Lord that appeared to prophet Moses?
I really admire and like Hassidic philosophy and I search about it.
We don't try to separate God into discrete parts even as we label particular emanations just for our own convenience. There is a phrase which indicates that God's presence was in the bush, but that isn't distinguished from God's existence which is everywhere else. It is just a way for us to wrap our minds around the infinite.

Think about the paradoxical idea that God is everywhere and also that God chooses to rest his presence in the temple. Somehow, it is both.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:25 PM

21,873 posts, read 19,025,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
Hello to all our Jewish brothers. I am an eastern orthodox christian and I want to make you a question. What exactly is Shekinah? I want a description of what is this doctrine because I am confused with the articles I have found on Net.
Shechinah is the feminine aspect of G*d. G*d includes both masculine and feminine aspects.

Also G*d is everywhere including both "out there" and "in here" within each of us. The aspect of G*d that is within us is sometimes referred to as Shechinah, the indwelling presence. In Judaism the soul is also referred to as a "she."

I particularly like the imagery of the Shechinah as the mother who never stops loving her children even when they have wandered far away or gotten themselves covered in mud. She hovers over us constantly with loving care and concern for our well being. I am a mother and so this speaks to my heart.

There are many beautiful prayers that include the Shechinah including the prayer we say just before we drift off to sleep "with the Divine Presence above our head." Again as a mother I know the immense love I feel when I tuck my children in to bed, or gaze at them sleeping.

This article might help.
The Gender of God

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-24-2017 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 10:06 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,082,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Tikkun Olam - defined as the attempted murder of the Jewish soul by frei yidden.
Besides trying to get all secular Jews into some sort of Judaism, have Jews ever thought about deChristianizing Christianity?

To be more literal, explain why Jesus Christ was not the Messiah?

That could just literally mean.

-List all the prophecies that must be fulfilled from the Old Testament.
-List all the stuff that Jesus fulfilled in the New Testament.
-And show that not all were fulfilled.

Haven't Jews made websites on this topic?

And I presume Christians have made websites on why they think Jews are wrong too?

Anyways, so is this, Jews have too much on their hands on dealing with themselves, so they don't have time on trying to convert Christians out of Christianity?

Old 01-25-2017, 11:24 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,851,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Besides trying to get all secular Jews into some sort of Judaism, have Jews ever thought about deChristianizing Christianity?

To be more literal, explain why Jesus Christ was not the Messiah?

That could just literally mean.

-List all the prophecies that must be fulfilled from the Old Testament.
-List all the stuff that Jesus fulfilled in the New Testament.
-And show that not all were fulfilled.

Haven't Jews made websites on this topic?

And I presume Christians have made websites on why they think Jews are wrong too?

Anyways, so is this, Jews have too much on their hands on dealing with themselves, so they don't have time on trying to convert Christians out of Christianity?
We've been do so for centuries. There are books dedicated to the subect, dozens of excellent websites, and tens of thousands of posts on the internet doing just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism