Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 03:36 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
We do very little as a whole group; individual Jews can range from very liberal to very conservative.
Even within the recognized movements you always have subgroups that disagree.
Then I must be talking about compared to the Jewish view from a hundred years ago.

It's not just homosexual lust vs. homosexual acts as a sin.

I'm talking the whole sexual orientation of it, i.e., most Christians as you know deny homosexuality, arguing God would never make someone gay, so they're just "pretending" to be gay. And choosing to be.

So I think this was something most Jews have changed some decades ago. They may still condone actions but still acknowledge homosexuality as an acceptance.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:52 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
I have a question for Jews familiar with halacha, this is for information and learning only, and will not be used to make any halachic decisions or advise others or take action. I have two questions.

1. this is about IVF which is a procedure where parents seeking to conceive have their own egg and sperm feritilized "in a petri dish" and then put back in the mom's womb to grow. We are told that the parent's thoughts at time of conception are important in determining and affecting the soul of their baby that will be born. In an IVF process, what time frame is this? When the egg and sperm join in the dish? When they take root in the womb? Or other? In other words which set of thoughts by the parents is used, which time frame or event for them? What they were thinking about when they were at the doctor's office contributing their individual egg and sperm? What they were thinking about when the two parts united in the dish? What they were thinking about when they had the procedure to plant the fertilized egg back in the womb? Or other? Or what they were thinking about when they are notified that the egg is now successfully growing in the womb?

I get that "during conception" means during the act of marital relations for a couple that is conceiving the regular way, and it is their thoughts during marital relations. I am asking what is corresponding time frame for parents who are using IVF to conceive.

2. My second question is: When during the pregnancy does the soul of the baby enter the fetus. Immediately at conception? At x number of weeks? So the parents thoughts during conception effect/determine the soul of their baby, when does that soul actually leave the heavenly realms and enter the fetus?

Thank you learned Jews and researchers, much appreciated.

OK I have another couple of questions.
3. If the fertilized eggs are frozen for 1 or 2 or 5 or 8 years before they are put into the mother's womb, which set of parent's thoughts are used? and when does the soul enter the fetus?

4. What does Jewish law have to say about IVF in general?

Old 02-16-2017, 12:57 PM

646 posts, read 465,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

2. My second question is: When during the pregnancy does the soul of the baby enter the fetus. Immediately at conception? At x number of weeks? So the parents thoughts during conception effect/determine the soul of their baby, when does that soul actually leave the heavenly realms and enter the fetus?
I asked this once. Answer was at the earliest several weeks before birth, at the latest almost immediately before the baby is born.

Edit: There is some stuff going on with the soul before that; like it slowly comes down in several steps but is not really "there" at all and the real thing does not happen until what I said above. At least that is what I was told.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:15 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Then I must be talking about compared to the Jewish view from a hundred years ago.

It's not just homosexual lust vs. homosexual acts as a sin.

I'm talking the whole sexual orientation of it, i.e., most Christians as you know deny homosexuality, arguing God would never make someone gay, so they're just "pretending" to be gay. And choosing to be.

So I think this was something most Jews have changed some decades ago. They may still condone actions but still acknowledge homosexuality as an acceptance.

The only thing that has really changed is that the Conservative and Reform movements have allowed gay Jews to become rabbis. It has nothing to do with the "Jewish view" or the "whole sexual orientation of it", and the decision was (and still is) met with very mixed opinions.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:27 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
I have a question for Jews familiar with halacha, this is for information and learning only, and will not be used to make any halachic decisions or advise others or take action. I have two questions.

1. this is about IVF which is a procedure where parents seeking to conceive have their own egg and sperm feritilized "in a petri dish" and then put back in the mom's womb to grow. We are told that the parent's thoughts at time of conception are important in determining and affecting the soul of their baby that will be born. In an IVF process, what time frame is this? When the egg and sperm join in the dish? When they take root in the womb? Or other? In other words which set of thoughts by the parents is used, which time frame or event for them? What they were thinking about when they were at the doctor's office contributing their individual egg and sperm? What they were thinking about when the two parts united in the dish? What they were thinking about when they had the procedure to plant the fertilized egg back in the womb? Or other? Or what they were thinking about when they are notified that the egg is now successfully growing in the womb?

I get that "during conception" means during the act of marital relations for a couple that is conceiving the regular way, and it is their thoughts during marital relations. I am asking what is corresponding time frame for parents who are using IVF to conceive.

Thank you learned Jews and researchers, much appreciated.

OK I have another couple of questions.
3. If the fertilized eggs are frozen for 1 or 2 or 5 or 8 years before they are put into the mother's womb, which set of parent's thoughts are used? and when does the soul enter the fetus?

4. What does Jewish law have to say about IVF in general?
These are great questions. I think some have been dealt with and some (the more esoteric, mystical ones) need experts versed well beyond me. I would recommend going to Newest Questions - Mi Yodeya and registering -- reading up on the way questions are set up there and then asking these, one at a time, along with any background or sources for your understanding that you have.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:03 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
The nashama (Jewish soul) enters the baby's body at 40 days according to the Zohar. That why (with a shaila from a proper orthodox rabbi) abortion can be permissible under 40 days from conception.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
These are great questions. I think some have been dealt with and some (the more esoteric, mystical ones) need experts versed well beyond me. I would recommend going to Newest Questions - Mi Yodeya and registering -- reading up on the way questions are set up there and then asking these, one at a time, along with any background or sources for your understanding that you have.
great site, I visited and am learning a lot, thank you for this.
Shabbat Shalom

Old 02-17-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
The nashama (Jewish soul) enters the baby's body at 40 days according to the Zohar. That why (with a shaila from a proper orthodox rabbi) abortion can be permissible under 40 days from conception.
thank you for this. So then if the fertilized egg is frozen for a number of years before use, I wonder if the 40 days does clock does not start ticking until it is put back into the mother's womb.

Shabbat Shalom

Old 02-17-2017, 11:28 AM

646 posts, read 465,120 times
Quote:
thank you for this. So then if the fertilized egg is frozen for a number of years before use, I wonder if the 40 days does clock does not start ticking until it is put back into the mother's womb.

Shabbat Shalom
And so we see that Orthodox rabbis do not agree on when the soul does enter the body if some say at 40 days while others say otherwise. Gotta love 2 Jews, 3 different opinions.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
And so we see that Orthodox rabbis do not agree on when the soul does enter the body if some say at 40 days while others say otherwise. Gotta love 2 Jews, 3 different opinions.
If the Torah has 70 faces they are all valid. It is our perception and understanding that is limited. Differing opinions are in harmony, when we learn enough we will see how they are each valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism