Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2017, 07:55 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Regarding civil law in Israel, in 2013, the minimum marriage age in Israel was raised to 18, from a previous age of 17. Previously, the marriage age was 18 for males and 17 for females, before they were equalised at 17 years.
Is that a civil marriage? How does a religious marriage overlap (reconciling the difference in age allowances)?

Old 09-01-2017, 12:56 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Is that a civil marriage? How does a religious marriage overlap (reconciling the difference in age allowances)?
in the USA in almost every state there are exceptions made to civil law that allow someone under the age of legal marriage to still get married legally, for instance with a parent's permission, or approval by judge.

in Israel I do not know if there is something similar in civil law.

"IN the United States today, thousands of children under 18 have recently taken marital vows, often with approval from local judges. The minimum marriage age in most states is 18, but every state allows exceptions under which children under age 18 can wed.

"The first common exception is for children marrying with “parental consent.” Most states allow children age 16 or 17 to marry if their parents sign the marriage license application. The second common marriage-age exception is for children marrying with judicial approval. This exception lowers the marriage age below 16 in many states, and many states do not specify a minimum age. Judges in those states can allow the marriage even of an elementary school student.

For instance in New Jersey between 1995 and 2012, there were 3,481 children married in New Jersey. Most were age 16 or 17 and married with parental consent, but 163 were between ages 13 and 15, meaning a judge approved their marriages"

Old 09-01-2017, 01:01 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
A child, 14 years old, is too young for marriage regardless of law, country, religion or sex. At least in modern civilized society that is...
You mean like in the USA? You mean like New Jersey?
See post just above #4292

Old 09-01-2017, 03:51 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:
A child, 14 years old, is too young for marriage regardless of law, country, religion or sex. At least in modern civilized society that is...
I don't know of a modern society where it doesn't happen.
My sister-in-law was married at 14 in the US per a judge's order.

Of course she was too young.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:21 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
That may be why folks think it is too young, they consider them children and I'd say that this is because, as a society, we raise them to remain children as long as possible...Why would G-d create the human body to be capable of reproduction at puberty?...Historically, people married at a much younger age than we do now, some say that that was because the human life span was much shorter and that now that our lifespans are much greater, that it is not neccessary to marry so young...So, we, as a society, have dictated that the age that a human remains a child should also be extended...So, does that mean that the ancients, who lived up to near a millenium would have been considered children at 50, 90, 200?...I've met full grown adults that shouldn't be married because they act like children and then I've met children who's level of maturity puts adults to shame...Look at a famous example, Lorretta Lynn, married at 13, husband was 24, if I remember correctly, and she started bearing children at 14 and raised a family...So, whose to say at what age is too young to marry after puberty...

Old 09-02-2017, 08:16 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
You mean like in the USA? You mean like New Jersey?
See post just above #4292
Yes, exactly what I mean, and why I wrote, "A child, 14 years old, is too young for marriage regardless of law, country, religion or sex."

Old 09-02-2017, 08:25 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
That may be why folks think it is too young, they consider them children and I'd say that this is because, as a society, we raise them to remain children as long as possible...Why would G-d create the human body to be capable of reproduction at puberty?...Historically, people married at a much younger age than we do now, some say that that was because the human life span was much shorter and that now that our lifespans are much greater, that it is not neccessary to marry so young...So, we, as a society, have dictated that the age that a human remains a child should also be extended...So, does that mean that the ancients, who lived up to near a millenium would have been considered children at 50, 90, 200?...I've met full grown adults that shouldn't be married because they act like children and then I've met children who's level of maturity puts adults to shame...Look at a famous example, Lorretta Lynn, married at 13, husband was 24, if I remember correctly, and she started bearing children at 14 and raised a family...So, whose to say at what age is too young to marry after puberty...
Whether a child is a child or an adult has less to do with puberty and more to do with mental development, at least in advanced modern day societies that is...

This is why there is even the question as to whether a child who commits a crime will be tried as a juvenile or an adult, having little to do with whether they are past puberty or not. That anyone be confused about this is like being confused about so much wrong-doing all over the world due to ignorance and backwardness. Adding to the confusion by comparing ancient history to our modern day doesn't help. Remember that not too long ago slavery was also okay, girls and women could be sold for chattel, women couldn't vote, contraception was not legal.

Also of course, there is a story behind too many of these marriages in the U.S. at such a young age, and not a good one. Perhaps also to be ignored?

"Based on my own experience working with forced-marriage victims across the United States, I am sure many of these children had to marry against their will. Forced marriage is a widespread but often ignored problem in the United States. A survey by the Tahirih Justice Center, an NGO that provides services to immigrant women and girls, identified as many as 3,000 known or suspected forced-marriage cases just between 2009 and 2011, many involving girls under age 18. Tactics used against the victims included threats of ostracism, beatings or death."

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/o...m.html?mcubz=0

Old 09-02-2017, 11:35 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Yes, exactly what I mean, and why I wrote, "A child, 14 years old, is too young for marriage regardless of law, country, religion or sex."
I would disagree, not that I would marry a 14 year old or would recommend it, but I see nothing wrong with it when two people are going to be together. It's your opinion, not everyone shares the same opinion, certainly not in countries where the family arranges marriages and I see nothing wrong with that either as long as the female has a right to say yes or no. I don't think anyone should be forced to marry but 14 is not too young for marriage.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:58 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Whether a child is a child or an adult has less to do with puberty and more to do with mental development, at least in advanced modern day societies that is...

This is why there is even the question as to whether a child who commits a crime will be tried as a juvenile or an adult, having little to do with whether they are past puberty or not. That anyone be confused about this is like being confused about so much wrong-doing all over the world due to ignorance and backwardness. Adding to the confusion by comparing ancient history to our modern day doesn't help. Remember that not too long ago slavery was also okay, girls and women could be sold for chattel, women couldn't vote, contraception was not legal.

Also of course, there is a story behind too many of these marriages in the U.S. at such a young age, and not a good one. Perhaps also to be ignored?

"Based on my own experience working with forced-marriage victims across the United States, I am sure many of these children had to marry against their will. Forced marriage is a widespread but often ignored problem in the United States. A survey by the Tahirih Justice Center, an NGO that provides services to immigrant women and girls, identified as many as 3,000 known or suspected forced-marriage cases just between 2009 and 2011, many involving girls under age 18. Tactics used against the victims included threats of ostracism, beatings or death."

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/o...m.html?mcubz=0
The reason they are mentally and emotionally immature to deal with marriage at that age is because of parenting...

Old 09-03-2017, 04:56 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
This question was from a religious point of view only. What Talmudic law was allowing this Chassidic sect to go forward with this marriage at such a young age for the woman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism