Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 05:39 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post
What is the religious significance being called to open the Ark, taking out the Torah Scroll and then proceed with the Torah to the Bimah (pesiha)? In our shul the same person then will open the Ark for the return of the Torah (hakhnasah). Also, any levels of religious significance between Alyah 3 thru 7 (for Shabbos) shlishi thru Shvi'i? Maftir Aliyah - I understand the special significance, but in our shul the one requirement is to be able to read from Haftarah (not everybody can read in Hebrew). I also understand that Hagbah is like all the aliyot combined - very high significance, but what about Glilah?
There are various kibbudim (honors) which are given out in order to let people be involved with the service. Opening/closing the ark and being part of the removal and return of the torah is called "p'ticha" (opening). It is sometimes given to a man whose wife is in the later stages of pregnancy, as an honor to symbolize an easy labor. Among the aliyot (being called to make the blessings of the torah) the third one (the first which an Israelite can receive) is considered in some circles to be a large honor, and then the 6th, and then others. In some weeks, certain aliyot are important because of the content which is read, and they are reserved for certain people as a show of deference.

The person called up for the (usually) 8th aliyah, the "maftir" oftrn also reads the portion from the prophets after the torah reading, but sometimes, he just makes the blessings on the torah and someone else reads the prophets.

While the talmud does say that rolling the Torah is a large honor, that practice has been split into two parts. I don't think that, in most synagogues, people analyze what type of honor they receive -- they are just honored to receive one.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:39 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Hagbah has always been my favorite honor to receive. I have no clue what kind of status it implies, nor have I ever cared.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:30 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4jmrX28BL4

Old 11-02-2017, 10:41 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,716,744 times
I wonder if there are any Jews reading this thread who might agree with this...

"I am now a firm anti-Zionist," Raine told Al Jazeera, explaining that his ideas developed as a teenager when he could not reconcile his Jewish beliefs with Zionist ones.

"We as Jews are religiously committed to 'tikkun olam', 'mending the world', and for centuries, Jews have stood at the forefront of struggles against oppression and exploitation," he said.

What Balfour means to Jewish critics of Israel | Palestine News | Al Jazeera

I suspect probably not, but curious, so I ask...

Old 11-02-2017, 02:07 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

"I am now a firm anti-Zionist," Raine told Al Jazeera, explaining that his ideas developed as a teenager when he could not reconcile his Jewish beliefs with Zionist ones.

"We as Jews are religiously committed to 'tikkun olam', 'mending the world', and for centuries, Jews have stood at the forefront of struggles against oppression and exploitation," he said.

I don't. I think that the idea of "tikkun olam" has been co-opted and misapplied in a variety of socially convenient instances. The language of the article is also overly reductionist and incomplete.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:31 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I don't. I think that the idea of "tikkun olam" has been co-opted and misapplied in a variety of socially convenient instances. The language of the article is also overly reductionist and incomplete.
This!

Tikkun olam starts with oberserving Torah and Halacha. Has nothing to do with feeding goyim in soup kitchens.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:53 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
This!

Tikkun olam starts with oberserving Torah and Halacha. Has nothing to do with feeding goyim in soup kitchens.
Boychick!...Where ya been all this time?...

Old 11-04-2017, 06:16 AM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Tikkun olam means repairing the world, not committing ethnic suicide. Relying on the Diaspora alone was a form of suicide, if one looks at the Russian slaughter of Jews continuing through the 1800's and 1900's and the Nazi Holocaust.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:27 AM

145 posts, read 98,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
This!

Agreed but perhaps but not in this case to use the term גויים(Goyim) to refer to non jews as less fortunate it comes across as crass

Old 11-06-2017, 12:50 AM

23,144 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniHaGever View Post
[/b]

Agreed but perhaps but not in this case to use the term גויים(Goyim) to refer to non jews as less fortunate it comes across as crass
I don't find it offensive at all, just what is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism