Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 08:06 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
And maybe you should have read "A few forum rules--READ BEFORE POSTING (translation, religious, Sabbath)" at the beginning of this forum before you go against the grain of those in this forum. So yes you are responsible for your choices and actions you make. You sow discord wherever you post when it comes to Judaism and your posts in this forum are no different than those in other forums.
Hi Pruz! We've missed you. Shavua Tov.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:04 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
And maybe you should have read "A few forum rules--READ BEFORE POSTING (translation, religious, Sabbath)" at the beginning of this forum before you go against the grain of those in this forum. So yes you are responsible for your choices and actions you make. You sow discord wherever you post when it comes to Judaism and your posts in this forum are no different than those in other forums.
Hey, where ya been?...

Old 02-06-2018, 05:37 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Hey, where ya been?...
Mecca.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:57 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
And people can argue competing theories and understandings, science can change after new experiments have been performed (while some can argue that the experiments are not persuasive).
Science does not change!

"Science is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe."

Again it seems pointless to continue arguing these points of understanding when the fundamentals are misunderstood. If/when you understand that science promotes the ongoing competition of theory with new experiments, research and analysis, until the objective truth about the universe is better understood, it becomes clear to see the goal is the truth, the objective truth. That is the agenda, process and goal, unlike that of most religions.

Perhaps to further explain or clarify if it helps any...

In the same way, the practice of medicine does not change simply because new treatments and drugs are discovered over time or because past practice has been proven wrong. Again the overriding goal is a better understanding of medical practice, forever being improved upon, driven primarily by the same sort of objective experiments, research and analysis that invites change for the better, with better knowledge, rather than stifles it. Again, very much unlike most religions.

The overriding difference; the criteria adopted to establish the truth for all concerned, our universal truth.

Last edited by LearnMe; 02-06-2018 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Again with all the due respect I can muster, I never imagined any such rule...

I participate in this forum without concern about breaking rules, because all I am doing is exchanging facts, comment and opinion no different than anyone else does. More or less, pointed or not, agreeable or otherwise, yes of course, but I do take full responsibility for my choices, actions, comments, and I am always willing to admit when I am wrong and take corrective action as appropriate.

However, differing opinion can be contentious to the point of violence and war as we all know. I prefer exchange of opinion in the name of peace, even if those who don't appreciate or share my opinion don't understand what that means. Instead, because SOME PEOPLE don't appreciate or understand my opinion, they attempt to discredit me, in particular when it comes to subjects related to this thread. You have been one of those people who forever does the same, here and in those other threads you reference. Always with your same agenda no less obvious and biased. Just like when always making mention of anti-Semitism when nothing could be further from the truth.

That sort of tactic and effort is what breaks a very important rule forever being broken here by you and a few others. Again I point out it is wrong, revolting and all the more inspiring for me to stand my ground as is my right regardless what underhanded approach you and others may take to silence opinion contrary to yours. You call it "discord" because you don't agree, but others who simply agree more with me than with you don't harass me like you do! I have had many a pleasant exchange in this forum, even in this thread while not always so pleasant with others, but I always do my best to keep it civil and fair as long as others do the same. That effort has never been easy with you, but that's not my fault either.

With respect to the Sabbath and/or the rules of this forum (and here I do mean respect), I reviewed the rules I could find to learn what transgression I have committed, admittedly curious how any social media forum could possibly suggest that anyone need concern themselves with timing when all is according to each individual's preference and choosing. I could not find this rule you reference. Can you please provide me the direct link?

I have had moderators "help" me about a thing or two in the past, some who have even agreed and commended me about a thing or two as well, but I've never had any advise me about timing a post, whether it be Shabbos, the Sabbath, night or day. I suspect the reason is the same as I explained to flipflop before. No one need have anything to do with this forum at any time they don't want to.

If nothing else again do understand, because again this is important. I had absolutely no disrespect in mind when I posted at the time I did, regardless how you and others may want to also insist otherwise according to that ongoing agenda that seems to utterly disrespect what is the truth in general.

Last edited by LearnMe; 02-06-2018 at 09:57 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Mecca.
Welcome back.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:48 AM

623 posts, read 312,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Science does not change!

. . .

Perhaps to further explain or clarify if it helps any. . . .

In the same way, the practice of medicine does not change simply because . . . . Again the overriding goal is a better understanding of medical practice, forever being improved upon, driven primarily by the same sort of objective experiments, research and analysis that invites change rather than stifles it.
"Science and medicine don't change because, unlike religion, they invite change rather than stifle it."

Hard to argue against that logic. I certainly wouldn't.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:51 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
With respect to the Sabbath and/or the rules of this forum (and here I do mean respect), I reviewed the rules I could find to learn what transgression I have committed, admittedly curious how any social media forum could possibly suggest that anyone need concern themselves with timing when all is according to each individual's preference and choosing. I could not find this rule you reference. Can you please provide me the direct link?...

here's the link, see post #2 on the page:
//www.city-data.com/forum/judai...e-posting.html

Old 02-06-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
here's the link, see post #2 on the page:
//www.city-data.com/forum/judai...e-posting.html
Thank you. I never imagined these rules could exist, and I didn't think to check for "sub-forum" rules. I didn't know there was such a thing. I suspect maybe I've been allowed to continue here, because also made clear is that "this is a request, not a rule..."

What to respect in these regards is perhaps yet another matter of choice. One can also argue forgiveness of those who do not share the faith or know about such "sensitivities" rather than assume insensitivity or worse, but I know how that goes. Either way, I really don't know how the timing of a post can possibly make a difference, since we are obviously all free to do as we wish in these regards.

No one need look at this forum at any given time, same as I pointed out to my kids long ago that no one need check their cell phone for texts at dinner time! Perhaps a bit "old school," but are we still not in control of what we do with our time even though social media is always there 24/7???

Either way, too bad (in my opinion) this seems to be the overriding focus here when there are other considerations referenced in my prior comment that are far more important in the grand scheme of things, but of course I also understand all that goes into what we choose to believe, allow and act toward others who don't share our opinions and beliefs.

I understand, at least to some degree, because I too am quite offended by much that others insist upon in these regards, but I've never been one to stand in the way of exchange regardless, especially if the agenda is more about peace and truth that includes if not depends on open and free dialogue. All the better if respect and civility -- across the board -- can be maintained...

Again, thank you for helping me better appreciate the sensitivity in this regard. I suspect we could all do better to lighten up a bit in any case, allow for the benefit of the doubt, "innocent until proven guilty" sort of thing...

Old 02-06-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
"Science and medicine don't change because, unlike religion, they invite change rather than stifle it."

Hard to argue against that logic. I certainly wouldn't.
Again, thank you for pointing out what may need better explanation (I'm no professional writer), but is further explanation really necessary? I really have to wonder...

The process involved to gain better knowledge about science and/or medicine doesn't "change" simply because new theories, facts and proofs are better established over time. Again, in fact, that ongoing process to search for new/better answers and truths by way of objective evaluation is encouraged, required!

Not so with most religions.

Again the essential difference is the criteria adopted to explore, examine and determine what is truth and what is not, very different science from most religions.

Is this also hard to understand and/or accept (regardless my communication shortcomings)?

For reasonable and intelligent people, I sure hope not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism