Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 10:01 AM

619 posts, read 310,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
In a Responsa (legal opinion)
I think that the word you are looking for is responsum. "Responsa" is plural, and under English rules of grammar, there is ordinarily no reason to capitalize it unless it begins a sentence. Strangely enough, the same holds true for "responsum."
Quote:

by the Central Conference of American Rabbis, the primary prohibition against erasure of the name God applies to the sacred names in a written text of Torah. With the advent of computers and the internet, rabbinic authorities have debated whether or not this applies to what is typed on a computer or read on a screen.
"Responsum" and CCAR don't exactly mix. In fact, I think that it is safe to say that mixing CCAR and rabbinic authorities qualifies as an oxymoron.
Quote:
Most have concurred that it does not apply.

On what competence, authority or evidence do you claim such a thing?
Quote:

The bulk of Jewish legal opinion agrees that the law applies only to the written name of God when written in Hebrew and not when written in other languages.
On what competence, authority or evidence do you claim such a thing?
Quote:
Reform Jewish practice reflects this opinion.
What relevance has Reform Jewish dogma, much less practice, to halachah?

P.S. The answers from JB from NC are at least as good as mine, but I know that you prefer long answers, so here it is.

Last edited by ben Shunamit; 03-18-2018 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: P.S.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:10 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
I think that the word you are looking for is responsum. "Responsa" is plural, and under English rules of grammar, there is ordinarily no reason to capitalize it unless it begins a sentence. Strangely enough, the same holds true for "responsum." "Responsum" and CCAR don't exactly mix. In fact, I think that it is safe to say that mixing CCAR and rabbinic authorities qualifies as an oxymoron. On what competence, authority or evidence do you claim such a thing? On what competence, authority or evidence do you claim such a thing? What relevance has Reform Jewish dogma, much less practice, to halachah?

P.S. The answers from JB from NC are at least as good as mine, but I know that you prefer long answers, so here it is.
Thank you, but please note, the answer I found was that of ReformJudaism.org. I quoted the answer they provide in their website, their answer to the same question posed in their website, "Why do some Jews write "G-d" instead of "God"?

IOWs, the grammar and all the rest is theirs, not mine, but I found their explanation when I Googled for an answer. I Googled for the answer because I lack that "competence, authority or evidence" you are asking me about, and I passed along the link for you or anyone else also interested in the answer, one answer anyway.

Also please note, I don't "like long answers." I like correct answers and sometimes it takes more than what fits on a bumper sticker to both learn and understand such answers. That's all...

Last edited by LearnMe; 03-19-2018 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-19-2018, 11:09 AM

619 posts, read 310,782 times
Quote:
I don't "like long answers."
I'll take your word for it, but you surely fooled me with the length of many or most of your postings here.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:52 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
I'll take your word for it, but you surely fooled me with the length of many or most of your postings here.
Thanks, I just spit my coffee on the keyboard.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I've honestly explained why some of my comments may be longer than bumper-sticker length. In part also because I even have to explain the words you were attributing to me were actually not mine. Instead of any note or recognition about that, you switch the focus to word count.

No one in this thread is just trying to be rude or insulting. Right? Last couple of comments and more than a few before tend to make me wonder...

Last edited by LearnMe; 03-20-2018 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I've honestly explained why some of my comments may be longer than bumper-sticker length. In part also because I even have to explain the words you were attributing to me were actually not mine. Instead of any note or recognition about that, you switch the focus to word count.

No one in this thread is just trying to be rude or insulting. Right? Last couple of comments and more than a few before tend to make me wonder...
No, no one here is trying to be rude or insulting. But we are allowed to have opinions about posts made here, including yours. How you interpret those opinions is entirely up to you.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
No, no one here is trying to be rude or insulting. But we are allowed to have opinions about posts made here, including yours. How you interpret those opinions is entirely up to you.
Agreed, yes of course, all such "interpretations" are up to all of us. I'm all for judging opinion in an adult mature respectful manner. In the same way, we judge what is rude and insulting. Clearly we have a different opinion about that too...

Did you clean up that coffee you spit on your keyboard?

Old 03-21-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Agreed, yes of course, all such "interpretations" are up to all of us. I'm all for judging opinion in an adult mature respectful manner. In the same way, we judge what is rude and insulting. Clearly we have a different opinion about that too...

Did you clean up that coffee you spit on your keyboard?
Yup.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:08 PM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
I never can get Passover in my head correctly, if today is Nissan 13, then the date changes at 6 P.M, and 6 hours later came the Passover, like at midnight tonight in Israel?

Old 03-29-2018, 02:16 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
It is currently nisan 13, 4pm in New Jersey, but nisan 14, 11pm in Jerusalem. In a few hours, it will be nisan 14 here in NJ also. The passover sacrifice would have been made at early evening on the 14th in Jerusalem (tomorrow late afternoon) and then eaten during the evening after it became the 15th. In Egypt, the first born would have been killed at midnight of that 15th after food was eaten, and then the people left Egypt.

https://www.chabad.org/holidays/pass...-Nissan-14.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism