Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2019, 10:24 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I think your comment here well describes the difference between having faith as compared to those of us who struggle mightily with the call to "set our personal intellect and judgement aside." Pretty much as simple as that far as I can tell...
Fully agree. In Jewish approach, one is considered to be on a higher level if they can set their intellect aside in favor of what the Torah tells us. But I get it, that will not come easy to most.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:36 AM

New case to bring us into Shabbos (if we don't resolve it today, we can complete it on Sunday):

Reuven owns a fleishig (meat) kosher restaurant. He has noticed that Shimon, who comes every few days for a meal, brings his prized pooch with him, and often feeds the dog a portion of his meal. Shimon couldn't imagine why he could eat these delicacies but not feed the same to his dog, who in Shimon's eyes, is an equal member of his family.

But Reuven knows the halacha, as spelled out in Meseches Ta'anis 20b, and clarified nicely by Rashi:
  • Serving food to animals is degrading to the food and shows a lack of appreciation to Hashem, Who prepared the food for people to eat
  • It's a waste of money, since clearly the dog could survive with cheaper dog food, and the Torah is clear a Jew should not waste money (see Meseches Rosh Hashana 27a as well as reference in Mishna Berurah)

Reuven asked his Rav a shaila: is he allowed to serve Shimon at the restaurant, knowing that Shimon has erred in his approach to this halacha?

Old 11-01-2019, 11:57 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
New case to bring us into Shabbos (if we don't resolve it today, we can complete it on Sunday):

Reuven owns a fleishig (meat) kosher restaurant. He has noticed that Shimon, who comes every few days for a meal, brings his prized pooch with him, and often feeds the dog a portion of his meal. Shimon couldn't imagine why he could eat these delicacies but not feed the same to his dog, who in Shimon's eyes, is an equal member of his family.

But Reuven knows the halacha, as spelled out in Meseches Ta'anis 20b, and clarified nicely by Rashi:
  • Serving food to animals is degrading to the food and shows a lack of appreciation to Hashem, Who prepared the food for people to eat
  • It's a waste of money, since clearly the dog could survive with cheaper dog food, and the Torah is clear a Jew should not waste money (see Meseches Rosh Hashana 27a as well as reference in Mishna Berurah)

Reuven asked his Rav a shaila: is he allowed to serve Shimon at the restaurant, knowing that Shimon has erred in his approach to this halacha?

As the human companion of an almost-human little dog (and a frequenter of the Bring Fido website https://www.bringfido.com), I'm on the pup's side in this one. But I'm still interested in the rabbi's ruling on Reuven's question. I have to say, though, that if a rabbi told me I couldn't pamper my fur-baby a little, I might be inclined to find another rabbi).

Even more so, if I were to hear that Reuven had gone to our rabbi to ask such a thing about me and my dog (and I figure it's my business how I choose to pamper my dog), he'd lose me as a customer pretty quick.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
As the human companion of an almost-human little dog (and a frequenter of the Bring Fido website https://www.bringfido.com), I'm on the pup's side in this one. But I'm still interested in the rabbi's ruling on Reuven's question. I have to say, though, that if a rabbi told me I couldn't pamper my fur-baby a little, I might be inclined to find another rabbi).
Yeah, I figured this one could be a bit more emotional for some folks here. I'm a dog owner, too, so I get it. But hey, maybe this will come out as permissible.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I figured this one could be a bit more emotional for some folks here. I'm a dog owner, too, so I get it. But hey, maybe this will come out as permissible.
You bet it's a bit more emotional! Hahaha!

I'm really looking forward to the answer to this one.

(And, I have to tell you, TFF, these halacha scenarios you're doing are intriguing! What a great contribution to the Judaism forum!)

Old 11-01-2019, 12:16 PM

Thanks Rachel. I figure as a forum, we can't go wrong if we're just discussing Torah.

To get this particular scenario going, I'll point out that all the poskim would agree Reuven has not committed an aveira by serving Shimon food. But could there be an issue of lifnei iver (placing a stumbling block in front of a blind man)?

I frequently wonder the same, when my non-religious parents come over for Friday night Shabbos dinner and frequently bolt out before bentching (saying prayers after the meal), which is a mitzva d'oirisa (from the Torah). Perhaps I'm transgressing lifnei iver as well? (and of course I know the answer to this question, as the poskim have spoken on exactly this case at length)

Old 11-03-2019, 05:18 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I gather from the link that the convicted were executed first, before being temporarily "hung up," right? I mean, Jews didn't nail living people to crosses or poles and leave them up to slowly die a tortured death, right?
Correct -- the hanging of the body was after the execution.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks Rachel. I figure as a forum, we can't go wrong if we're just discussing Torah.

To get this particular scenario going, I'll point out that all the poskim would agree Reuven has not committed an aveira by serving Shimon food. But could there be an issue of lifnei iver (placing a stumbling block in front of a blind man)?

I frequently wonder the same, when my non-religious parents come over for Friday night Shabbos dinner and frequently bolt out before bentching (saying prayers after the meal), which is a mitzva d'oirisa (from the Torah). Perhaps I'm transgressing lifnei iver as well? (and of course I know the answer to this question, as the poskim have spoken on exactly this case at length)
So the poskim answer that it is not lifnei iver since Reuven is not actually supplying a forbidden item to Shimon.

Rav Moshe Feinstein wrote that one is allowed to rent out a wedding hall to an irreligious couple even if during the celebration the couple will likely be involved in activities that are not sanctioned by halacha. The halls owner is not providing any for bidden substance as the hall could be used for acceptable forms of celebration.

In our case, however, Reuven should not directly serve the dog. And he should explain the halacha to Shimon.

And finally, an exception to our case would be on erev Pesach, where if one has a great deal of chametz (leavened food forbidden on Passover to the Jew), he may feed it directly to his animal to show hakares hatov (gratitude) to the dogs who remained quiet when the Jews left mitzrayim (Egypt).

Old 11-03-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
In our case, however, Reuven should not directly serve the dog. And he should explain the halacha to Shimon.

Okay, I can live with that. I wouldn't ask a hard-working wage-earner to personally serve my dog. That would be an outrageous request, and demeaning. Reuven can explain the halacha to somebody who would request such a thing of him – but it wouldn't be me. Just as long as I don't get any flak for taking a tidbit off my own plate and passing it to my little friend who'd be sitting adorably beside me (at outdoor eateries that allow dogs). Then everything is cool.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:53 AM

Sadly Reuven divorced his wife after a very brief marriage. At first she refused to except the divorce but only agreed when Reuven promised her that he would never for forsake her if she ever needed his assistance. Rubin quickly remarried and succeeded in building a warm Jewish home while his former wife remained single. Her health later deteriorated to the point that she needed an organ transplant. In light of his promise to her, is Reuven required to pay for her expensive operation? How far does his pledge to assist his ex-wife extend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism