Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2020, 12:37 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
First of all, those comments of mine that you quoted weren't directed at you, and were intended for someone else who has a problem observing forum rules regarding proselytizing here.

Secondly, assertions that "the Jews killed Jesus" have historically been used to justify antisemitic acts of violence against Jews. Fyi, assertions that the Holocaust never happened are also viewed as being antisemitic by many -- both Jews and Gentiles alike. It's less a case of honest inquiry and, more often than not, used to incite hostility against Jews.

Thirdly, this is the "Ask a Jew" thread – not the "Tell a Jew what's wrong with the Jewish interpretation of the Tanakh and why the Christian interpretation is so much more accurate" thread. I'm not accusing you of doing that, LearnMe. I am putting my comments that you quoted back into context.

Questions about Judaism are welcome in the "Ask a Jew" thread, and I'm sure that someone from this forum will always be available to answer them.
I guess I misunderstood something else then. We also cannot address comments directed to others.

Got it.

Sure seems to me that such attitude and strict interpretation of what passes for honest comment, exchange of opinion and/or question in this thread along with all the many objections I've seen expressed here about the likes, makes this thread hardly what the title suggests or invites. Not all comments about such subjects will necessarily be flattering of Judaism, just like with any other religion or matter involving different beliefs not commonly shared. Just about any comment can be described as you do in quotes above as well if you choose to do so, even deleted if you like.

Or the real issues/questions be considered fairly and honestly regardless the biases that can so easily be ignored. Too thin a skin about such exchange or whether it is perfectly done in your opinion is certainly understandable in some respects, but the free exchange of opinion, even if not always so "pretty" has a great deal of value too. No matter where we go...

The restrictions and very "thin skin" along these lines has been an honest and sad realization for me about this thread over time, and why I only bother to comment about this problem and little about anything else here anymore. (Much as I'd like to add that I miss the intelligent and fair exchange I've enjoyed with rosends in the past, even if we don't agree about everything).

Here's to better understanding among us in any case rather than more reason to distance ourselves further...

Old 01-13-2020, 01:19 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
We also cannot address comments directed to others.
[snipped the usual baiting framed as a protest of oppression]

I didn't say that, as you very well know. Play nice here, or don't play at all.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 01-13-2020 at 01:28 PM..

Old 01-13-2020, 02:18 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
First of all, those comments of mine that you quoted weren't directed at you, and were intended for someone else who has a problem observing forum rules regarding proselytizing here.

Secondly, assertions that "the Jews killed Jesus" have historically been used to justify antisemitic acts of violence against Jews. Fyi, assertions that the Holocaust never happened are also viewed as being antisemitic by many -- both Jews and Gentiles alike. It's less a case of honest inquiry and, more often than not, used to incite hostility against Jews.

Thirdly, this is the "Ask a Jew" thread – not the "Tell a Jew what's wrong with the Jewish interpretation of the Tanakh and why the Christian interpretation is so much more accurate" thread. I'm not accusing you of doing that, LearnMe. I am putting my comments that you quoted back into context.

Questions about Judaism are welcome in the "Ask a Jew" thread, and I'm sure that someone from this forum will always be available to answer them.

We should have made a spacial place for people who have made "assertions that the Holocaust never happened." This is SO insulting that many of them have been banned on the spot.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
[snipped the usual baiting framed as a protest of oppression]

I didn't say that, as you very well know. Play nice here, or don't play at all.
My mistake and I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, but I was sure you were admonishing me for commenting about words you directed toward someone else. I gave no thought or consideration as to who you were directing your comment to but rather the message in general. I'm not playing, and I'm not always sure I can be nice as you also warn I must be, but I am being straight-forward, honest and sincere about my thoughts. I don't know how to "play" any other way...

Last edited by LearnMe; 01-14-2020 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-14-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
We should have made a spacial place for people who have made "assertions that the Holocaust never happened." This is SO insulting that many of them have been banned on the spot.
I have been to the Holocaust Museum in Berlin, and I have often wondered if not marveled at how anyone could believe the Holocaust never happened. This is a rather extreme example but still it's a good one that can demonstrate what might be insulting to some is not beyond discussion for others. I for one am very curious to know how or why anyone would believe such a thing (like so many other wild things people believe), and it's disappointing to me that such a discussion can't be had for whatever reason. Sensitive though these issues can be of course.

Some might even suggest I should be banned for suggesting such a thing, but again my interest is entirely born of promoting better understanding and nothing else. I mean who knows? If whomever believes such a thing where able to explain themselves in a thread like this one and then have people like me and others point out the error in their ways, maybe that would be for better rather than worse. Right?

Then again, censorship of just about any kind is something I've never been at all comfortable with. Something like the reason even hate speech is protected by our constitution. On the other hand, this thread/forum is not about free speech. I know. I know...

Old 01-23-2020, 04:52 PM

@TFF: Are you going to post any more of those great scenarios of yours that pose a question involving halacha, and then later you give the answer to it? I'm missing those.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:32 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Bli neder (without making an oath), yes I will. Been swamped at work, BH.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:17 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
A Chained Man In Brooklyn

https://www.jewishpress.com/sections...yn/2020/02/02/

Old 02-12-2020, 07:08 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Since this is the Ask A Jew thread, I've got a question:

True or False: If a Jewish woman marries a non-Jewish man and they have offspring, the children are Jewish because the line is matrilineal.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Since this is the Ask A Jew thread, I've got a question:

True or False: If a Jewish woman marries a non-Jewish man and they have offspring, the children are Jewish because the line is matrilineal.
True. But please don't mistake this for a "blood line" or anything to do with genetics. If a formerly non-Jewish woman, who has converted to Judaism in accordance with Halacha, later marries a non-Jewish man and they have offspring, the children will also be Jewish. Any children born to the woman before her conversion to Judaism will not be Jewish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism