Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 05:13 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of2F5cfSNHo

(NSFF, But shouldn't have to as ALL the mixed people are Orthodox and are from Monsey, NY a Well known Ultra Orthodox city.!)

Old 04-26-2020, 09:46 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
Monsey is a well known Ultra Orthodox city? LOL!

Old 04-26-2020, 10:40 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
(NSFF, But shouldn't have to as ALL the mixed people are Orthodox and are from Monsey, NY a Well known Ultra Orthodox city.!)
Monsey may have a large population of Hasidim, but it is by no means "a Well known Ultra Orthodox city." Quoted from JewishVirtualLibrary.org: "Beyond Monsey's large Orthodox community, there are 14 established Conservative, Reform, and unaffiliated congregations." In addition to these, there is also a large Gentile population in Monsey, who should not be overlooked.

It may very well be that "ALL the mixed people" in your video are not all "Ultra Orthodox." In fact, the organizer of the event in the video you posted, Rabbi Benzion Klatzko, is Modern Orthodox.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:09 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Monsey may have a large population of Hasidim, but it is by no means "a Well known Ultra Orthodox city." Quoted from JewishVirtualLibrary.org: "Beyond Monsey's large Orthodox community, there are 14 established Conservative, Reform, and unaffiliated congregations." In addition to these, there is also a large Gentile population in Monsey, who should not be overlooked.

It may very well be that "ALL the mixed people" in your video are not all "Ultra Orthodox." In fact, the organizer of the event in the video you posted, Rabbi Benzion Klatzko, is Modern Orthodox.
"In the 1950s, Monsey was a one stoplight town with a single yeshiva. By 1997, Monsey had 112 synagogues and 45 yeshivas.[3]"

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsey,_New_York

Not legally a city but a hamlet to anyone that has lived in the area you say Monsey they say Orthodox, the Village of Kaser within Monsey is identified as Hassidic.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaser,_New_York

Old 04-26-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
"In the 1950s, Monsey was a one stoplight town with a single yeshiva. By 1997, Monsey had 112 synagogues and 45 yeshivas.[3]"

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsey,_New_York

Not legally a city but a hamlet to anyone that has lived in the area you say Monsey they say Orthodox, the Village of Kaser within Monsey is identified as Hassidic.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaser,_New_York
I am (and I think Rosends is, too) talking about Monsey, NY, which was specifically referred to as being an "Ultra Orthodox city." Which it clearly is not. (Neither city nor entirely "Ultra Orthodox.")

Old 04-26-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I am (and I think Rosends is, too) talking about Monsey, NY, which was specifically referred to as being an "Ultra Orthodox city." Which it clearly is not. (Neither city nor entirely "Ultra Orthodox.")
Semantics may be different but Ultra Orthodox/Orthodox are the same thing to a secular person, black hat, white shirt and dark suit all the look the same....

Old 04-26-2020, 11:33 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
How Monsey Became a Center of Hasidic Life in America

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.pre...rica-1.8327682

Old 04-26-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Semantics may be different but Ultra Orthodox/Orthodox are the same thing to a secular person, black hat, white shirt and dark suit all the look the same....
This is the Judaism forum. This is the forum where most of us strive to promote a better understanding of Judaism for all visitors here. Even if that means pointing out where someone has gotten something a bit confused.

Monsey may be "a center of Hasidic Life in America" but that doesn't mean that it is an entirely Hasidic American city. New York City is a center of Jewish life in America, but NYC is not an entirely Jewish city, either.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
This is the Judaism forum. This is the forum where most of us strive to promote a better understanding of Judaism for all visitors here. Even if that means pointing out where someone has gotten something a bit confused.

Monsey may be "a center of Hasidic Life in America" but that doesn't mean that it is an entirely Hasidic American city. New York City is a center of Jewish life in America, but NYC is not an entirely Jewish city, either.
Strive to promote through who's view, as there are different perspectives to the same thing. I grew up there and when you see the Friday night crowd walking in their fur hats you think Hassidic, when you see the black hat, white shirt, dark suite you think Orthodox either way Monsey is viewed as predominantly Orthodox/Hassidic regardless which may or may not be currently leading the population list.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:11 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
Quote:
What about grey t-shirt and blue jeans? I'm orthodox and that's what I'm wearing.

Yesterday I wore a grey suit and a white shirt. No hat. I walked the streets and saw a large community of Orthodox Jews and only one black suit/white shirt (no hat). That was the pulpit rabbi.

I teach and have taught a lot of students from Monsey. There are plenty of smaller divisions (towns, neighborhoods etc). Some are significantly more right-aligned than others (New Square is very different from, say Wesley Hills).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism