Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2020, 11:01 PM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times

Advertisements

Rachel, and anyone interested.

I looked up the name origin for, " Ahrim."

A really, really sweet Korean girl my son is going to marry, so like always with everyone, I look up the name origin. It literally has no meaning and it got me thinking that I might just conspire to create a name origin, a good meaning since there is none.

I am thinking of somehow relating it to a mythical creature, maybe a river or worm. A worm that turns into a butterfly from Korea, like 18th century.

Think I can pull it off that from now on people search," Ahrim," and get OUR name origin?

I mean, it's not altogether honest, but it would mean a great deal to people named Ahrim.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:42 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Rachel, and anyone interested.

A really, really sweet Korean girl my son is going to marry, so like always with everyone, I look up the name origin. It literally has no meaning and it got me thinking that I might just conspire to create a name origin, a good meaning since there is none.

I am thinking of somehow relating it to a mythical creature, maybe a river or worm. A worm that turns into a butterfly from Korea, like 18th century.

Think I can pull it off that from now on people search," Ahrim," and get OUR name origin?

I mean, it's not altogether honest, but it would mean a great deal to people named Ahrim.
Hanni, your intentions are very sweet, but I don't think that it's quite ethical to deliberately spread misinformation.

Since this is the Judaism forum, I'll give you a couple of ideas for Jewish equivalents for the name Ahrim.

1. If you spell the name Ahrim with Hebrew letters (ארים), and then spell it backwards, you get Mira (מירא), which is a Yiddish diminutive of the name Miriam. Some people say that the name Miriam means "bitter," but others connect it to a possible Egyptian origin in which the name is derived from the Egyptian word mry, meaning "beloved."

Source for image of Egyptian word: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/beloved#Translations_2

2. The gematria value of the Hebrew spelling of Ahrim (ארים) is 251. Other feminine names that share the same gematria value of 251 (in addition to the name Mira) are: Gavriela (גבריאלה, Hebrew feminine form of the name of the angel Gabriel, meaning "G-d is my strength") and Talora (טל-אורה, Hebrew, meaning "dew of light" or, in a figurative sense: "morning light").

Wishing you much joy as you welcome your future daughter-in-law into your family!

Old 05-21-2020, 08:19 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
... anyone interested.

No Hebrew/Aramaic foundation for what you think it may be. For what you're describing it's a root word within the Indo-Asian languages or Indo-European languages.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:33 AM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
No Hebrew/Aramaic foundation for what you think it may be. For what you're describing it's a root word within the Indo-Asian languages or Indo-European languages.
Has to be Korean origin, I just came in here because Rachel knows more about names than most people do, and of course anyone who really studies the bible is always looking up name origins, but like Rachel said, it ain't altogether honest, and maybe I shouldnt have asked for help, but I will try and do it anyway lol.Thinking about looking up stuff of ancient Korean legends, or Buddhism.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Has to be Korean origin, I just came in here because Rachel knows more about names than most people do, and of course anyone who really studies the bible is always looking up name origins, but like Rachel said, it ain't altogether honest, and maybe I shouldnt have asked for help, but I will try and do it anyway lol.Thinking about looking up stuff of ancient Korean legends, or Buddhism.
Thanks for the cred, Hanni. I really don't know if what you plan to do is honest or not, but I do know that just about everything you do comes from the heart and is based in kindness. I truly admire you for that.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:37 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
Anyone planning to learn all night on Shavous this year? Without the benefit of the kehila (the community) to join in on the learning, I suspect this will be the first time in more than a decade that I’ll get a good night sleep on first night of Shavous. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I’m slightly pleased. I’ve always struggled with how much the missed night of sleep the first night essentially wrecks (5am) shacharis the next morning and sometimes keeps me groggy thru the whole 2-day holiday. All night learning on Shavous is of course only a minhag at best, so... I’ll try to compensate this year with having extra kavana (concentration) for Shacharis.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:23 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
Many like to think of YY Jacobon as the "top" speaker on the Jewish speaker circuit today. Here' a beautiful article he wrote yesterday on Aish.com, regarding why the Torah was given in the desert:

https://www.aish.com/sp/ph/Feel-Good-Judaism.html?s=mm

Quote:
If Torah would have been given in a city or amidst a beautifully natural terrain, it would have, by definition, conformed to the culture prevailing in those particular areas. In the great river lowlands where civilization began (the Tigris-Euphrates rivers and the Nile), the eye is captivated by the shifting scenes of nature; in cities, the eye is overtaken by the works of man – art and architecture. In such environments, the Israelites would only be able to absorb a religion that would fit into their psyches, patterns, and sensibilities, like all the Pagan religions of the time.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Many like to think of YY Jacobon as the "top" speaker on the Jewish speaker circuit today. Here' a beautiful article he wrote yesterday on Aish.com, regarding why the Torah was given in the desert:

https://www.aish.com/sp/ph/Feel-Good-Judaism.html?s=mm
Very inspiring. YY Jacobson has also written numerous articles that can be found on the Chabad.org website. Thanks for posting this.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:43 PM

226 posts, read 147,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Hey folks. In the discussions I've been having here at this forum, I've had many times where an answer I gave to a question led the thread down an alternate pathway than what the OP intended (sorry Mods, I'm not being bad on purpose). Somebody suggested I start a new thread called "Ask a Jew."

Who am I? I'm an Orthodox Jew living in a major city in America. Any views I present will be the views of a Torah Observant Jew - one who attempts to follow all 613 mitzvahs given in the Torah. I'm not a rabbi, but I learn Torah and Talmud every day of the week and have immersed myself in a life of Torah. There's no such thing as a person who knows "All" of the Torah, but for the purposes of this forum, I can give it a shot.

One quick thing, is I will not be online during the Jewish Sabbath (sundown Friday to sundown Saturday night). So if you ask a question during that time, perhaps one of the fellow non observant Jews on this site can answer.

Speaking of non-observant Jews, their answers will sometimes differ from mine. It doesn't make mine right and theirs wrong - just different views.

My friends, ask away...
Hello,

My mom had a one night stand around 1980's and i recently had a dna test states i am 50 percent jewsih on faters side. I do not know who father is but is there anyway i can get a free trip to Israel?

Thank You.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:14 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown202020 View Post
Hello,

My mom had a one night stand around 1980's and i recently had a dna test states i am 50 percent jewsih on faters side. I do not know who father is but is there anyway i can get a free trip to Israel?

Thank You.
Are you under 32? If so, I THINK you’ll qualify. All that’s required is one Jewish parent, and your DNA seems to indicate it. Here’s a link.

https://www.israeloutdoors.com/explo...ility/#descent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.