Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2020, 09:32 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,728,481 times

Advertisements

chitown,

I do Jewish genealogy and am on a Facebook group called Tracing the Tribe which is for people exploring their biological Jewish roots. Most members are people who grew up Jewish. Others did not but have a Jewish parent or grandparent. And I'd say on an almost weekly basis someone comes on there with a very similar story to yours. Someone does their DNA and finds out they had a Jewish parent or grandparent that they didn't know about. Sometimes it is due to an unxpected paternal event (like yours). Other times, they find out that a parent or grandparent/grandparent was hiding their Jewishness and the secret was never revealed. Some come on there saying they have always "felt" Jewish for some reason and are eager to explore their identity. Others are gobsmacked by the news and are confused and feel lost. Just wanted to share that you are not alone in your experience. There may be some on there who can direct you to some helpful resources. And as we say on there, Welcome to the Tribe!

Old 05-31-2020, 09:31 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,348,588 times
Plagues, economic calamity, riots in the streets. Ready for moschiach. Now.

Last edited by theflipflop; 05-31-2020 at 10:07 PM..

Old 06-01-2020, 04:42 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,921,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I’ll second that...

Old 06-01-2020, 03:20 PM

19,096 posts, read 16,933,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
We've been through this turmoil before and gotten through it, we will do it again...

Old 06-01-2020, 04:42 PM

21,976 posts, read 19,090,587 times
speedily and in our time.
amayn

Old 06-01-2020, 06:26 PM

387 posts, read 867,879 times
I have a question.

I do genealogy and am trying to trace my paternal grandmother's roots as we do not know much about her. Her maternal ancestor's Jewish name, the Sephardic dna matches who fled to Spanish speaking countries, my Spanish and Portuguese ancestry including a few Azores, many Ashkenazi matches (including one family who state they are 100% Jewish) all point to the Sephardic story right down to the match with the Sephardic scroll maker ancestor in Holland.

So if I discuss this with Jewish people why do they need to make a point of telling me I am not Jewish ? They almost all do this and it's irritating. I know that I cannot be Jewish with my maternal line having no Jewish ancestry

Last edited by tuberose; 06-01-2020 at 06:36 PM..

Old 06-01-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
I have a question.

I do genealogy and am trying to trace my paternal grandmother's roots as we do not know much about her. Her maternal ancestor's Jewish name, the multiple Sephardic dna matches plus Spanish and Portuguese ancestry including Azores and many Ashkenazi matches (including some who state they are 100% Jewish) point to the Sephardic story. Even have a match with a Sephardic scroll maker in Holland.

So if I discuss this with Jewish people why do they need to make a point of telling me I am not Jewish ? They almost all do this and it's irritating. I know that I cannot be Jewish with my maternal line having no Jewish ancestry
it is primarily to educate people on Jewish law.

often people talk about being "half Jewish" or "1/8th Jewish" using the "formula" for other types of ancestry. It is a common misconception, and Jews when approached regarding anything regarding genealogy provide this information as a helpful piece of education.

I have found Jews to be very enthusiastic and interested regarding sharing information about family, names, history. When i first found out i was Jewish, i timidly mentioned the town my grandmother was born in Danzig while chatting waiting for an evening class to start, and four people I had never met spent the next 30 minutes grilling me on names, providing family connections, telling stories of people from that town and nearby towns, pulling books off of shelves to show me lists of census rolls, and for the next several weeks and months also bringing and offering follow up material and stories, books and art, maps and family lore. I didn't know Sephardic from anything and a fellow spent hours discussing by name all the Sephardic families in the area we lived for several generations back. I was surprised and amazed by the level of interest and enthusiasm shown.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:43 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,849,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
I have a question.

I do genealogy and am trying to trace my paternal grandmother's roots as we do not know much about her. Her maternal ancestor's Jewish name, the Sephardic dna matches who fled to Spanish speaking countries, my Spanish and Portuguese ancestry including a few Azores, many Ashkenazi matches (including one family who state they are 100% Jewish) all point to the Sephardic story right down to the match with the Sephardic scroll maker ancestor in Holland.

They may have told you this based on their experience with others who don't understand what you already do. They probably didn't mean to upset you, and intended only to explain an aspect of Judaism.

Anyway, welcome to the Judaism forum.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:55 PM

387 posts, read 867,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is primarily to educate people on Jewish law.

often people talk about being "half Jewish" or "1/8th Jewish" using the "formula" for other types of ancestry. It is a common misconception, and Jews when approached regarding anything regarding genealogy provide this information as a helpful piece of education.

I have found Jews to be very enthusiastic and interested regarding sharing information about family, names, history. When i first found out i was Jewish, i timidly mentioned the town my grandmother was born in Danzig while chatting waiting for an evening class to start, and four people I had never met spent the next 30 minutes grilling me on names, providing family connections, telling stories of people from that town and nearby towns, pulling books off of shelves to show me lists of census rolls, and for the next several weeks and months also bringing and offering follow up material and stories, books and art, maps and family lore. I didn't know Sephardic from anything and a fellow spent hours discussing by name all the Sephardic families in the area we lived for several generations back. I was surprised and amazed by the level of interest and enthusiasm shown.
Thank you !
I am hoping to find more information so will preserve. I feel her ancestry was hidden, the family secret
Even though, the ancestry is on my father's side I do feel a kind of an association. Eg have an aversion to pork, throw out eggs with blood in them, wont eat bloody meat. Also was so extremely sad when visited Dachau - the visit really deeply resonated

Old 06-01-2020, 07:37 PM

Jewish Gen is a good site

https://www.jewishgen.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism