Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 03:22 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
He is correct in his description of the different sects of Jews around 0 bce. The reason why the majority (if not all) of present day Jews would be considered Pharisees is simple. That sect won. I'm not exactly sure when the Pharisee sect developed but I'm fairly sure it would have been after the Sadducees as they were in control of the temple.

I have been told that Jesus was most likely to have been an Essene as many of the principles he preached about matched their ideology.
I have read that the Pharasaic branch of learning was the forerunner of Rabbinical Judaism...

Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I have read that the Pharasaic branch of learning was the forerunner of Rabbinical Judaism...
That is my understanding as well.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
That is my understanding as well.
So, where the Pharasee correct or were the Sadduccee?...Or pehaps one of the other groups...

Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Hey folks. In the discussions I've been having here at this forum, I've had many times where an answer I gave to a question led the thread down an alternate pathway than what the OP intended (sorry Mods, I'm not being bad on purpose). Somebody suggested I start a new thread called "Ask a Jew."

Who am I? I'm an Orthodox Jew living in a major city in America. Any views I present will be the views of a Torah Observant Jew - one who attempts to follow all 613 mitzvahs given in the Torah. I'm not a rabbi, but I learn Torah and Talmud every day of the week and have immersed myself in a life of Torah. There's no such thing as a person who knows "All" of the Torah, but for the purposes of this forum, I can give it a shot.

One quick thing, is I will not be online during the Jewish Sabbath (sundown Friday to sundown Saturday night). So if you ask a question during that time, perhaps one of the fellow non observant Jews on this site can answer.

Speaking of non-observant Jews, their answers will sometimes differ from mine. It doesn't make mine right and theirs wrong - just different views.

My friends, ask away...
Thank you - I realize this thread is several years old but I have an issue and need some advice. I was married to a Jewish man and after we divorced, he passed on unexpectedly, while doing work in Rwanda. His sister refused to follow the directions of his WILL, his work was not done, etc. Oddly as it sounds, my home became "haunted" - so badly, SW Paranormal did a full house investigation with 6 visits and it appears it is indeed, my departed former husband. We have tried everything to put him to rest. But I've read that only Jewish "special prayers" by 13 Temple people can help. What can I do besides sending money to a website for prayers??? Having a Catholic priest isn't going to help because he wasn't a Christian. Thank you.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
That's what I am doing...What was Christianity originally?...
While he was alive, probably the starting of the Conservative movement.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:24 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
So, where the Pharasee correct or were the Sadduccee?...Or pehaps one of the other groups...
Pharisee was then and is still now "normative" Judaism. Sadducee was a "denomination" of Judaism, and history proves that denominations of Judaism are unable to last more than a few generations. Like the Saduccees, they eventually lose their impact and are swallowed back into normative Judaism.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 AM

864 posts, read 871,208 times
Quote:
Like the Saduccees, they eventually lose their impact and are swallowed back into normative Judaism.
Or assimilate.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
While he was alive, probably the starting of the Conservative movement.
I think Yeshua was attempting to encourage people back to basics, IOW, What is on the inside counts not what is outside...Look at TFF and the way he celebrates HaShabbat, to him it is not a burden done through fear, but ratber a joy that he looks forward to with great anticipation...That is coming from the inside and shining forth like a beacon, it's infectious...I'd say if one just went through the motions because it is what HaShem demands and with no inner joy that by doing so pleases HIM, then I do not think HE is pleased...I believe this is what Yeshua was getting at when He called them "White-washed tombs, full of dead men's bones"...When I objectively read what Yeshua is reported as saying and whay Paul says in his letters, I see contradictions...I believe Yeshua upheld Torah, I do not see anywhere that He states that it is passè, on the contrary...It is in full affect until heaven and earth pass...

Old 01-06-2014, 10:52 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Richard, do you really think people in this forum care what you think about Jesus?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Richard, do you really think people in this forum care what you think about Jesus?
Hiker, do you really think people in this forum care about what you think about anything?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism