Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

There are lots of myths out there about Judaism.

Can you tell truth from fiction?

Myth or Fact Quiz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 12:16 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
There are lots of myths out there about Judaism.

Can you tell truth from fiction?

Myth or Fact Quiz
Fun Quiz. I got 6 out of 9. I thought they were all myths.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:43 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Questions: what is "the birthday of the trees," and during which holiday are Jews commanded to get drunk? I got 7 out of 9. Also, it is good to know that there are no horned, gentile-blood drinking Jews. This had never been a large concern, but you know, gotta watch out for them horned, gentile-blood drinking people. You can never be too careful.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Me too.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I guessed that Jews did indeed celebrate the "birthday of the trees," but that was more because it seemed to be one of the suspiciously less ridiculous questions than due to any knowledge about what that means.
From last year: //www.city-data.com/forum/relig...tu-bshvat.html

This year the one-day rabbinic Jewish Festival of Tu B'Shvat will begin at sundown on Tuesday, February 7 on the civil calendar.

Quote:
What is the significance of buying of the firstborn baby boy from a Jewish priest thirty days after birth?
See Pidyon ha-Ben: Redemption of the First Born

Quote:
Also, during which holiday are Jews commanded to get drunk?
Purim (PU-rim, PAWR-im).

The word "Purim" means "lots" and refers to the lottery that the evil Haman (HAH-men), the Persian Prime Minister, used to choose the date for the massacre of the Jews in the 5th Century BCE, which then, because of the intercession by Hadassah (Esther), became the date Haman, and not a single Jew, was hung. The events take place in the Persian capitol of Shushan. Today, that area is the Iranian city of Susa, located southwest of Teheran, near the Iran/Iraq border.

Purim is the second time in the year (the first being Simchat Torah) when Jewish adults are encouraged to celebrate in the Irish manner. Well, actually, the Irish would love to celebrate St. Patrick's Day in the Jewish manner.

The custom is for Jewish adults to take a goodly drink (and here I share the Hassidic love of bourbon, my favorite being Rebel Yell, which is generally unavailable north of the Mason-Dixon line) every time the name of Haman, the evil one, is mentioned when the Megillah (m'-GILL-uh) Hadassah (Book of Esther) is read from the Bima (the raised platform in the front of the sanctuary in the synagogue) until one can not distinguish between the name Haman and the name Mordecai. (The actual Talmudic instruction is that "a person is required to drink until he cannot tell the difference between 'cursed be Haman' and 'blessed be Mordecai'", though opinions differ as to exactly how drunk that is.)

This year the one-day rabbinic Jewish Festival of Purim will begin at sundown on Wednesday, March 7 on the civil calendar.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
You answered 7 questions out of 9 correctly.

Question 7. Jews buy firstborn baby boys from Jewish priests thirty days after they are born.
Correct Answer: Fact

Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,606 times
Default RE: misconceptions about Judaism quiz

I don't think it is correct to say that firstborn baby boys are "bought" from the priests. Better to say they are redeemed from serving in a priestly capacity, which the tribe of Levi was assigned to do instead of the firstborn males.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:38 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Is that quiz for real? I stopped after the first two questions: "Is Matzah made out of Gentile blood?" and "Do Jews have horns?"

I was expecting a quiz on myths concerning Judaism, not myths that older christians had about Jews....
If the website is trying to "educate" people who might otherwise believe these myths, then I think it has missed it's mark by a long span of time. Maybe I don't hang out with the wrong crowd, but I have never met a single person who really believed those first two myths. I see, now looking above at the posts, that Clintone shares the same thoughts on the lack of people on the lookout for horned, gentile killers.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:20 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,365 times
I got 7 out of 9, got hung up on the birthday of trees...interesting, and the whole one day of drinking, which was explained well above, and now, I think I remember reading that somewhere.
The rest were pretty much no brainers, esp. the horns an blood question...I mean really!?!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Same here! I thought they all sounded pretty ridiculous, although Walter once posted that he actually once met somebody who thought Jews had horns, lol.

Didn't know about the trees, the thirty days for baby boys, or getting drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism