Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 03:09 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,597 times

Advertisements

I purchased a beautiful mezuzah (case only) by mail order for our front exterior door. Upon receipt, I see that the front of it is *open* metal work. How does one protect the parchment scroll? Just enclose the scroll in plastic? or are there special tubes made for this purpose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 07:06 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,470 times
I don't know if there is anything made specifically for that, but there are plastic tubes with stoppers that should do the job. You can usually find them at craft stores and such.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:07 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,916 times
Good question! Mine came in wax paper, which I took the scroll out of, but I suppose you could leave it on. If it were my mezuzah case, I'd save that one for indoors, though, and get a new one (without the open part) for outside. I have never seen a protector for the scroll but I'm sure someone must sell them. Will let you know if I come across something like that in my online shopping.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
I don't know if there is anything made specifically for that, but there are plastic tubes with stoppers that should do the job. You can usually find them at craft stores and such.
Great idea, thank you.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:17 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Great idea, thank you.
Glad to help!

Old 09-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Good question! Mine came in wax paper, which I took the scroll out of, but I suppose you could leave it on. If it were my mezuzah case, I'd save that one for indoors, though, and get a new one (without the open part) for outside. I have never seen a protector for the scroll but I'm sure someone must sell them. Will let you know if I come across something like that in my online shopping.

I might look at a craft store for a small tube but now am wondering how well this particular mezuzah would stand up to freezing temps, wind, and direct sun because it has rhinestones and pearl beads. Didn't really want to have to spend more money but there was another one I really liked anyhow. Where would you put a mezuzah indoors? We have an open floor plan. Maybe for the master bedroom or guestroom door?

Old 09-29-2012, 07:28 PM

In general, you could put it anywhere except the entrance to the bathroom. I'd start with the master bedroom. I just checked online and I don't see where they are selling separate cases for the scrolls if not protected by the mezuzah; the online merchants seem to indicate there are mezuzot for outdoors vs. indoors. However, I think JB's idea would work well also.

PS - On second thought, exposure to the sun would fade the scroll, no matter what you put it in. I would keep that mezuzah and scroll indoors.

Last edited by 1+1=5; 09-29-2012 at 07:40 PM..

Old 09-29-2012, 09:16 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,362,345 times
For the mezuzah you put on your front door, protecting the scroll from the weather is a million times more important than what the mezuzah cover looks like. I have 21 mezuzahs inside and outside my house (on every single door where it's halachically required, including the garage, the back gate and the shed). I think 5 or 6 of those are outdoors, and all are encased in a simple weather proof case. Nothing fancy - but safe and protective.

I'm curious where you got the scroll? If not purchased from a reputible sofer, there's a 99% chance the scroll is posul (invalid), and you could roll up toilet paper and put it in a mezuzah case and get the same benefit. Every single scroll I purchased from reform/conservative judaica shops before i became frum where later verified as posul. The sofer who checked them speculated that several of them were written by Arabs who sit in the shook in Yerushaliym and bang out a scroll every 15 minutes, or so. They are hired by shady Israeli's to have them written, then they are shipped off to America where unsuspecting Jews buy them. If you paid less than $40 for your mezuzah scroll, I can nearly 100% guarantee you it's posul, which makes it worthless. <end of public service announcement>

Old 09-30-2012, 06:52 AM

Good point. The case is relatively inexpensive; you should buy the best (kosher) scroll you can afford. The people at Eichler's helped me find a kosher one. At first I thought I could buy one from e.bay but that is not a good idea. I'm slowly adding to my collection - it's better to buy the right ones and add slowly to your collection if cost is an issue like it is for me, than have a hundred computer-copied ones in beautiful cases.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
For the mezuzah you put on your front door, protecting the scroll from the weather is a million times more important than what the mezuzah cover looks like. I have 21 mezuzahs inside and outside my house (on every single door where it's halachically required, including the garage, the back gate and the shed). I think 5 or 6 of those are outdoors, and all are encased in a simple weather proof case. Nothing fancy - but safe and protective.

I'm curious where you got the scroll? If not purchased from a reputible sofer, there's a 99% chance the scroll is posul (invalid), and you could roll up toilet paper and put it in a mezuzah case and get the same benefit. Every single scroll I purchased from reform/conservative judaica shops before i became frum where later verified as posul. The sofer who checked them speculated that several of them were written by Arabs who sit in the shook in Yerushaliym and bang out a scroll every 15 minutes, or so. They are hired by shady Israeli's to have them written, then they are shipped off to America where unsuspecting Jews buy them. If you paid less than $40 for your mezuzah scroll, I can nearly 100% guarantee you it's posul, which makes it worthless. <end of public service announcement>
Flipflop, you're a wealth of information; thank you! Posul scrolls....written by Arabs????? Are there are any reliable sources online?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism