Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:02 PM

584 posts, read 597,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
Quote:
This forum is filled mostly with angry, off the derech Jews and non-Jews who have agendas against Judaism.
And what is this other than an angry and slanderous ad hominem?
I can't control if you all decide to ...
Much like those in Israel who spit on school children and harangue women who fail to sit in the back of the bus, you cannot even control you own disgraceful slander and ugly bigotry.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:09 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Are you associating my posting activities with those Israeli's who spit on school children for not being frum enough? And by what facts do you come to that conclusion? (and good luck finding a way to respond without making it personal about me, which would be a violation of the TOS).

Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Are you associating my posting activities ...
Not your activities. Your pompous and disgusting ad hominem.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:25 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
....Are you associating my posting activities with those Israeli's who spit on school children for not being frum enough?.
The Israelis you mention, don't consider themselves Israelis. They are Charedi. And as Charedi they don't see those who they spat on as being less frum, they see them as not being Jews. Thus many of your posts are inline with their thinking. Many of us see you as either Naturai Karta or Satmar.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The Israelis you mention, don't consider themselves Israelis. They are Charedi. And as Charedi they don't see those who they spat on as being less frum, they see them as not being Jews. Thus many of your posts are inline with their thinking. Many of us see you as either Naturai Karta or Satmar.
I'm wearing jeans right now. I wear a knit yarmulke to work (and my velvet one in shul and at home). I have 100+ posts in the political forum here at C-D vocally defending Israel and its government. I was clear and direct in condemning those who were involved in the Beit Shemesh spitting episode. And you want to call me Naturai Karta? You people and your prejudices are sometimes unbelievable.

If a basic middle of the road Yid like me is now Naturei Karta, I guess by your definitions that makes you and JS fine Observant Jews. Good. If that's what it takes to get you and others to observe (and accept) the Torah and its precepts, I'm happy to take the critisizm.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:15 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
I have 100+ posts in the political forum here at C-D vocally defending Israel and its government.
But do you support that Israel should currently exist?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
But do you support that Israel should currently exist?
For sure I do. I can think of nobody better on the planet to administrate the ownership of the historic Jewish sites in the land of Israel than Jews (and a smattering of Muslims, Chrstians, etc in the Knesset). Better that Jews run the land than somebody else. Is the current state of government in it's preferred final form? Of course not. But it's a good interim solution as we all (except for one poster here) anxiously await the coming of moschiach to put the government there in its proper form.

You see? Not a NK bone in my body. I'm no Zionist by any stretch of the imagination. But I am a Jew, and I'm thrilled we have the land, and I hope the Jews can expand their ownership of the land. Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-24-2012 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: wishing someone dead is an attack whether a poster or x president or anyone

Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 PM

195 posts, read 245,283 times
Quote:
Oh wait, I forgot, you deny the validity of the Oral Torah and only accept half of the Torah - the written Torah. Sorry, that makes us unable to have a proper discussion on the subject, as you only proscribe to half of the Jewish view on anything (a fact, not a judgement).
I believe you mean the Rabbinic view, not the Jewish view. Karaite Jews do not believe in the oral Torah, for example. In the past, there were many more forms of Judaism. I find it sad that Rabbinic Judaism has become dominant and eliminated other alternatives. It is the written Torah that is the core of all forms of Judaism that have ever existed and I wish we had many more forms of Judaism today.

As for posting on the Sabbath, I do not believe this is a Sabbath violation, but I do believe that all groups in Judaism should respect all other groups in Judaism, and so it is best to avoid publicly embarrassing Rabbinic Judaism even if one is a non-rabbinic Jew.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:23 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
I'm curious how the "ritual" of Shabbos prevents you from meeting with these young cancer survivors the other 6 days of the week? Why transgress a Torah commandment, given from Hashem directly to you, when you have so many other opportunities the other 6 days of the week to do the same activity and please Hashem?

And just so I understanmd the mindset... When a Jew directly contradicts a mitzvah in the Torah (usually when they have made a personal judgement that their own reasoning for doing something, like working on Shabbos, takes precedence over what Hashem has asked of us), do you typically view it as:

1) "I'm really a free agent when it comes to my actions, and the Torah is not really a consideration."
or
2) "I know Hashem doesn't want me to work on Shabbos, as it says so in the Torah, but I'm just not at that point where I can change my life that way."
Why can't I do it on the other days? Well, because I am WORKING a job to pay my insurmountable debts from getting cancer 6 months after college graduation, and then having to go through the experience myself. And now, I'm watching my father deal with early-onset Alzheimers at 55 with no hope for financial assistance, knowing that every hour I'm not getting paid to do a job an hour that I am not able to financially help myself or my family.

But you see, our difference is that you believe the rituals of man. That's fine, but G-d only said to rest on Shabbat. Everything else is conjecture and fluff filled with workarounds (ie. the eruv, Shabbat keys/doors, etc). Man made that, not G-d.

Kids are still in the hospital on Saturdays and typically that is a slow day for visitors and volunteers - the church groups come on Sundays. I've never had a Jewish teenager who is DYING tell me "Oh stop, we're breaking G-d's law. I need to sit in silence in my room and contemplate my mortality and what it means to die at 13." And unfortunately, Jews are disproportionately represented when dealing with cancer in kids and young adults.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But you see, our difference is that you believe the rituals of man. That's fine, but G-d only said to rest on Shabbat. Everything else is conjecture and fluff filled with workarounds (ie. the eruv, Shabbat keys/doors, etc). Man made that, not G-d.
It is a conjecture driven by an almost paranoid literalism.

If one truly believes that the Torah was penned by G-d, then you believe that its wording is preternaturally precise and intended. When the Torah has G-d saying: "Those who desecrate it shall be put to death, for whoever performs work on it, that soul will be cut off from the midst of its people," the divine threat must be understood fully and taken seriously. When G-d uses the term melakhah here and, in the immediately preceding text, to discuss the work of creating the Tabernacle, certainly that could not be a coincidence -- there is no place for coincidence and accident in holy writ. Therefore ...

And so it goes. It is a coherent worldview. It's one that I find deeply flawed, but only because I find its presumptions to be deeply flawed as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism