Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 AM

377 posts, read 576,069 times

Advertisements

I was simply shocked last night by Dershowitz on the History Channel presentation of the TEN COMMANDMENTS. He said :We should covet because that's what grows capitalism. I don't covet any one. I did once write in my secret diary that I was "jealous" of my best friend. When we both were in our fifties, I showed her this. I was 15 at the time I "coveted". She was terribly hurt. Now we were both grandmas at that time I showed her this. She started telling everyone, even people I didn't know. I just laughed inside myself. Eventually, when she introduced me to new people, I told them first.

Not a single person asked me why. I had skin trouble. I knew my Habonim friends would stereotype me to new people as the girl with the pimples on her face. How else did the boys know my name when I never laid eyes on them. That was the one time in my life that I broke down and wrote something like that whining about my skin which tortured me in many ways from the age of 6 until they discovered cortisone and I luckily got a good doc who managed it properly from the get go. In addition to acne, I had a poison ivy type lesion chronically which itched me the whole time. No dermatologist could handle it. In addition, when I was 15 YO I got chicken pox.

I'm so grateful I don't itch any more, since I was 27YO, that I don't covet anything or any one. Just grateful not to itch any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 02:49 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Baruch Hashem you don't suffer from that anymore, Macnietspingal. It must have been so difficult to deal with as a youngster, when our feelings can be hurt so easily by others.

I find the concept of coveting to be a difficult one to understand. It's best to simply remind oneself that "who is a happy man/woman? One who is content with what he/she has." The person who is unhappy with what they have in life insults Hashem, since Hashem gives us exactly what we need - no more, no less. If we can instill that Torah concept in the minds of our kids, we would not have to worry about coveting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism