Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 AM

195 posts, read 245,283 times

Advertisements

theflipflop asked me to introduce myself. Even though I am ethnically Jewish, I was raised without any religion because my parents are atheists. I had no exposure to Judaism as a child. After school I focused on practical things like success in business and finding a wife. I realized that finding a decent wife in America is hopeless, so I went to Mexico and met my wife there. After achieving success in business, I had more time to reflect on things. I read a lot history and I realized that modern culture is a disaster. I started looking for alternatives to modern culture and realized that religion is the main alternative. So I visited many religions where I live, I had no predisposition to any of them. I also read the Tanakh, New Testament, and Quran. I loved the Tanakh and found the New Testament tolerable but I couldn't make any sense of the Quran. I narrowed my choice down to Orthodox Judaism and Eastern Orthodox Christianity. I spent about 6 months attending each and studying the history of each religion and I settled on Orthodox Judaism as the best choice. It is still very far from perfect and I find the Talmud about as bad as the Quran, but I am a practical person and I don't expect perfection anywhere. But it does depress me how infinitely superior the written Tanakh is to any religion existing today.

This search is both for me and my kids. I would like my kids to escape from modern culture. At present, I only see 2 realistic alternatives; Orthodox Judaism and Japanese culture. I have asked my kids to choose. My daughter has chosen Judaism. My son would like to see Japan before deciding, so we will visit there soon.

I have a website where I post my thoughts, so if anyone is interested Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-08-2012 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: no URL solicitations..They may dm you for that or you may put it on your profile page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 12:58 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
I'm glad you introduced yourself, and I poked around your own forum/blog a little bit. For sure, if you participate in this forum going forward, it's going to get interesting around here. There's certainly nothing normative about your views, but hey, they are your views, and you have every right to have them.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:57 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschmidt View Post
theflipflop asked me to introduce myself. Even though I am ethnically Jewish, I was raised without any religion because my parents are atheists. I had no exposure to Judaism as a child. After school I focused on practical things like success in business and finding a wife. I realized that finding a decent wife in America is hopeless, so I went to Mexico and met my wife there. After achieving success in business, I had more time to reflect on things. I read a lot history and I realized that modern culture is a disaster. I started looking for alternatives to modern culture and realized that religion is the main alternative. So I visited many religions where I live, I had no predisposition to any of them. I also read the Tanakh, New Testament, and Quran. I loved the Tanakh and found the New Testament tolerable but I couldn't make any sense of the Quran. I narrowed my choice down to Orthodox Judaism and Eastern Orthodox Christianity. I spent about 6 months attending each and studying the history of each religion and I settled on Orthodox Judaism as the best choice. It is still very far from perfect and I find the Talmud about as bad as the Quran, but I am a practical person and I don't expect perfection anywhere. But it does depress me how infinitely superior the written Tanakh is to any religion existing today.

This search is both for me and my kids. I would like my kids to escape from modern culture. At present, I only see 2 realistic alternatives; Orthodox Judaism and Japanese culture. I have asked my kids to choose. My daughter has chosen Judaism. My son would like to see Japan before deciding, so we will visit there soon.

I have a website where I post my thoughts, so if anyone is interested Moderator cut: delete
Welcome! I didn't get to read your website as it was deleted. Anyway, welcome.

Regarding this:

I narrowed my choice down to Orthodox Judaism and Eastern Orthodox Christianity. I spent about 6 months attending each and studying the history of each religion and I settled on Orthodox Judaism as the best choice.

Just curious, since you are sharing - what helped you finalize your decision? And, is your wife Jewish?

1+1 (Chana)

Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Welcome! I didn't get to read your website as it was deleted. Anyway, welcome.

MODERATOR CUT: deleted

You can still find the link in my profile under "Contact Info".

Quote:
I narrowed my choice down to Orthodox Judaism and Eastern Orthodox Christianity. I spent about 6 months attending each and studying the history of each religion and I settled on Orthodox Judaism as the best choice.

Just curious, since you are sharing - what helped you finalize your decision? And, is your wife Jewish?
I was very upset about the ***** Riot incident, that the Russian Orthodox Church didn't take a firm stand against this outrageous behavior for which a long prison sentence was well deserved. I emailed my priest about this issue and he never responded. This unresponsiveness is probably more American than Christian, but at any rate the combination pushed me over the edge. I had my concerns about Christianity even before this since I really dislike Paul. I obviously have my concerns about modern Judaism but I realized that Orthodox Judaism has the strength to stand up to the evils of modern culture while Christianity does not.

My wife is not Jewish.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 11-08-2012 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Publically criticizing moderators

Old 11-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I'm glad you introduced yourself, and I poked around your own forum/blog a little bit. For sure, if you participate in this forum going forward, it's going to get interesting around here. There's certainly nothing normative about your views, but hey, they are your views, and you have every right to have them.
Thank you, it is very rare and heartening to see this kind of tolerance of differing opinions.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:40 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,516 times
Quote:
Thank you, it is very rare and heartening to see this kind of tolerance of differing opinions.
Yes, Flipflop is cool that way.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:41 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
If our excellent moderators will permit me to discuss you, fschmidt, since this thread is about you...

I see where you have selected Judaism as your religion of choice, and you specifically have an interest in Torah focused, normative Judaism. Good for you. But I have a few questions:

1. Do you self identify as a Jew in public?
2. As Chana asked, is your mother and her mother Jewish? You said you are ethnically Jewish, but that's not the same as being halachically and universally accepted as being Jewish (Jewish mother and grandmother or Orthodox Beis Din conversion).
3. Do you associate with other Orthodox Jews? I see you are in El Paso, and although I have known a frum Jew or two from El Paso, I know it doesn't exactly have a thriving Orthodox Jewish community. Perhaps there is a Chabad?
4. And finally, if you are not halachically Jewish and you do associate with other Orthodox Jews, have you begun a proper conversion process yet?

And if these questions are too personal, just tell me to shut it, and I will - and I'll apologize. I do not mean to embarrass you or call you out in any way, but after reading your blog, it's clear to me you're the kind of guy who puts it all on the table...

Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
I read a lot history and I realized that modern culture is disaster.
I also read a lot of history, and everything I read makes me appreciate our modern American culture even more. It is so much better than it was when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's.

We have so much freedom to be whatever we want. Our society puts very few restraints on us. In addition, we have a common-law based legal system that is constantly improving, and we have a 200-year old Constitution that provides a great framework for our government.

Maybe people who want more structure in life find our freewheeling culture too crazy. Even though I am a very conservative person, I love the freedom we have.

We can worship any type of god we want to, just like our grand-daughter worships One Direction.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
1. Do you self identify as a Jew in public?
Yes

Quote:
2. As Chana asked, is your mother and her mother Jewish? You said you are ethnically Jewish, but that's not the same as being halachically and universally accepted as being Jewish (Jewish mother and grandmother or Orthodox Beis Din conversion).
Both of my parents are ethnically Jewish. They are Holocaust survivors from Hungary.

Quote:
3. Do you associate with other Orthodox Jews? I see you are in El Paso, and although I have known a frum Jew or two from El Paso, I know it doesn't exactly have a thriving Orthodox Jewish community. Perhaps there is a Chabad?
There is Chabad here. I go to weekly (group) Judaism classes at the synagogue and I know some of the people but the community is weak. I have no interest in prayer except as a way of learning Hebrew. I am studying Hebrew and when I know enough to understand prayer, I will attend the Saturday service as Hebrew practice.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I also read a lot of history, and everything I read makes me appreciate our modern American culture even more.
Let me ask you, what time period of what other culture do you think is most similar to America today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism